is this a limpet?

jawfishray

Yes that is a limpet. By the structure of the shell and the placement of the "keyhole, it is a limpet. As a whole I am fairly sure all limpets are just algea eaters.
The outer skin layer is quite cool, I did read something about one like this recently. I will contiue the research, very cool though!
Ray

jawfishray

Kip,
Most excellant notation. The article I found was in another forum that regarded a coral eating pests thread...this is a cool looking guy but can be problematic...Kip is the man!
Ray

nauti2001

I have seen three things that look similar to that in my tank. One was white, and two were green.. Anyone ever seen them that color before? I tried poking at one before and scraping him off my LR but the shell is kinda tuff..

bang guy

Just a small FYI note. Limpets are herbivores. Unfortunatly, Keyhole Limpets are really not Limpets and many will eat the skin off leather corals.
One the plus side Keyholes will quickly eliminate hydroids.

bang guy

The Skirted limpet in the pic above is a Keyhole Limpet which is actually related to Abalone, it is NOT really a Limpet. True Limpets do not have the hole at the apex and are generally not quite as pointy at the top.
Patellacea = Limpets
Fissurellacea
= Keyholes

ktoledo

i have been trying to figure out if thats what i have is a limpet. mine are all black with a little white line(shell) down his back. i had 2 now i have roughly 45. they mated and had babies but im still not sure what they are. i am gonna try to take some pictures. the mom layed on her back and it looked like she was having MORE babies this morning. i still cant find any info on them.