Is this sand ok?

slock

Just happened across what I think is the same thing as the "southdown" sand that everyone looks for. On the back of the bag it says "manufactured by oldcaste" It is all white seems a little more crystally like than the southdown that I had previously. From 8 inches from you face it looks to be sugar.
I took clear table vinegar and poured it in to a class and add a spoonful of the sand. It bubbled for the whole minute until I poured it down the drain. Sound like appropriate stuff for my new reef sand bed?

edat

what kind of sand is it and where did you get it.... been looking for southdown but cant find it anywhere

slock

I had looked at several HD's and Lowes, couldn't find it. Hit some Agways - nope. Then went and looked at the garden dept of walmart and poof, pallets of it, the name says "garden sand" - why I don't know, it's pure white, nothing I would ever put in my garden. Says "produced for walmat by oldcastle".
I did a second vinegar test, it does fizz and bubble at a constant rate. I did a side by side with some southdown I had, the southdown is a smaller rounded finer crush, the sand I just got more course and slightly more crystal shard like. I'm going to use it. If you go to walmart you cant' miss it, it's the only other pure white thing except big marble chips.

edat

Have ran all over the state looking in Home Depots for this sand. Hours of driving and lots of $$$ on gas. Never thought about looking at WalMart!!!!
:scared: :scared:
cant believe I never looked at walmart
Been workin at Wal mart for 7yrs!!!!!!!!!!

slock

I don't think it's something they used to have, I remember looking several years ago when I needed sand and didn't find it there.

22caddy

edat, where in ohio are you? I know around me there is none. I found a guy who traveled 2 1/2 hrs to get some in michigan. Luckily he picked me up 200lbs.

edat

Live in Akron Area... did a search of all stores around this area and could not find any & not able to order any from oldcastle (not traited for this area) Let me know if you want to get rid of a 50# bag. If need be i can meet to pick it up.:happy:

shiby1510

I hope you read this slock or anyone else who picked up the garden sand u guys are talking about.... i saw it today is it the real stuff?? i poured a little in my hand and poured some vinegar on it and nothing happened.... maybe i didn't do it right??
i also read this thread... it sounds like the same sand ur talking about
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...ight=sand+fizz
any help??
please?

slock

ok, I got off my lazy ass to get you guys the SKU #605388834188
It's pure white, bag says "Basic Garden Sand", it's a clearish bag with red and green and black printing. all sugar sized granuals, .5 cu ft, says it weighs 18 lbs, feel more like 50lbs.
It creates gasses and fizzes/bubbles when vinegar is added to it.
Hope this helps

shiby1510

that helps a ton slock..... THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!! :joy: I was hoping to get the sku and you did replied back in no time!! I think this is the sand I saw today at walmart... they had tons of it... and it was like $2.84 :jumping:
Oh yah in addition I'm using white vinegar.... is that maybe why it didn't work... or was it just cuz i had only a few grains in my hand and they pretty much got completely soaked by the vinegar cuz it poored out fast.... .... thanks

slock

yeah, I remember it was like under $3 a bag
put a spoon full in a glass and add some white vinegar, you'll see all the fizzing, might be a little hard to tell in your hand.

rgaskins

I got the same sand from Walmart and I'm not seeing any fizzing or bubbling...I used white vinagar in a small glass...I'm wondering if I done something wrong...Thanks for any help... :notsure:

slock

Strange, after about 30 minutes or so, the finer sand had dissolved and there was still bubbles being formed. Was it pure white or was it tan sand you bought?

rgaskins

It looked pure white to me...Maybe I did something wrong...Should it fizz right away or does it take a while? Thanks for the reply...

slock

yeah that's the southdown, I still had two bags of it, and I used 2 bags of the new stuff I got at Walmat made my oldcastle. Between the two, the walmart one is just slightly courser.

duckiecon

I've tried it today. I took a bottle of 100% pure white vinegar (on an empty water bottle) to WM and tried the sand. The sand is very fine (sugarfine), white, and has the beach looking sand ;) But I don't see any bubble or sizzling at all. What did you use to see it work?

rgaskins

Well. if anyone needs Yardright Tropical Playsand, I found some this week and purchased the whole pallet... :joy:

slock

Originally Posted by Duckiecon
I've tried it today. I took a bottle of 100% pure white vinegar (on an empty water bottle) to WM and tried the sand. The sand is very fine (sugarfine), white, and has the beach looking sand ;) But I don't see any bubble or sizzling at all. What did you use to see it work?
I bought a total of 4 bags, all I did was put a goon pinch about a teaspoon and regular table (white vinegar) into a drinking glass, hold it up to the light and you can see all kinds and sizes of bubbles being formed and rising to the surface , I let it go on for over 15 minutes before I poured it in the sink..don't know why your having problems unless it's different stuff.