Is this sand ok?

jttenpro

I called all of the local HD's w/no success last month. I will try that one again, hope that
was a recent post.
Thanks EvilBob

slade1274

Mystery solved for those that care..... The whole article is at the link below:
"The organisms do not care about the sediment mineral composition, only the particle sizes and shapes. Most aquarists use the commonly available aragonitic sands to "provide a calcium reservoir." Additionally their bright white color is often aesthetically pleasing. However, if the system's pH and calcium concentrations get low enough to dissolve significant amounts of the sediment there are some very severe problems and all the sand in the world won't help. Very successful tanks may be set up utilizing black lava sand, or fine siliceous sand, as long as the grains are of the appropriate size. There is some concern that siliceous sand will fuel diatom blooms, but such blooms may be controlled by the appropriate grazers. There is absolutely no need for any subsurface sand structure such as a "plenum" or shelf. In fact such structures will reduce the sediment volume that is available for the bacteria."
http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm

N

nluchau

I know this isn't the sand that everyone says to get but I was wondering if this would work. Right now in my 29 gallon I have silica sand and a layer of live sand on top. Would this sand work with alittle live sand on the top. Its the only white sand I can get around here.
Thanks for any replies

shiby1510

well if you are worried about silicates the back label should answer your question. :notsure:
and in addition someone correct me if I'm wrong but they're pretty much saying that there will be silicates in the sand not the MAY that they say because it says wear a mask and if it didn't have silicates a mask wouldn't be necessary
I'm not sure what thats supposed to mean when they say sanitized..... hah
but the sand that usually works are the ones that say they have been screened and sterilized
I think one of the more important components of sand, however is the grain size.

evilbob22

Ok... safe for sand boxes, but don't breath near it... :scared:

The silicates are going to feed diatoms, but if the person quoted by slade1274 is right, it isn't much of an issue. Aside from that one issue, it looks great to me.

N

nluchau

So you guys think I can use this w/o any harm being done. Or should I just bust out and get some of that good aragonite from like dr fosterssmith or petsolutions?
I just thought since this was $2.99 for a bag it would be easier on my wallet but if its not anything I should have in my tank I wont.
Thanks again for replies

P

pas13

Evil Bob-
If you are still looking for the aragonite sand, also look for Yardright (same as Southdown, passes fizz test). They carry it year round at Southern States in Manassas, VA, which is about 30 miles west of DC off of I66. There might be a Southern States in Maryland as well. You can do a search on their website for store locations- southernstatesDOTcom.

dskidmore

The silica sand will not have the buffering ability of aragonite sand. Aragonite sand can help stabilize your water chemistry, and pure aragonite won't have any toxic minerals in it.

slade1274

Since no one could answer this question to my satisfaction, I did some major research online for what I deemed an adequate answer. You should read my post from above and make the decision for yourself. My opinion is that it's ok if you take the time to cure it in the manner that the folks making the "aragocrete". This would allow the bulk of toxic elements (if present) to "wash away". You won't find anyone out here to give you a definate "yes you can" use it because they don't want to be responsible for any bad that may happen.... but as you notice, you find the same lack of committment to the "no way in heck!!" response. Bottom line from a chemistry perspective is if your water chemistry is bad enough to leach things out of aragonite sand to "buffer" the water, it's in too bad of shape to keep fish alive for a meaningful amount of time..... treat the problem, don't blame the sand. The only thing that concerns me now with the other sands is the shape of the particle being "too sharp" to propagate the desired pods.

wanabesalt

keep me posted on your results "slade 1274" i have so many tanks that i set up a 29 gallon with just sand......on the bag it say,s...white washed and flame sanitized also uniformly graded and no silica .............this is play sand.........for 2 weeks i just had salt water in it and today i just put the sand in. its a little cloudy ........if any thing goes wrong at least i didnt invest alot because i already hade the pumps and skimmer and misc.............. oyea this will be a fish only tank for right now with 2-1/2 pounds of rock and some shells.

N

nluchau

I think I will return this and purchase Aragomax Sand from DrFostersSmith. Alittle more spendy but now I will be able to sleep

wanabesalt

to start with i had a 100 gallon tank for 2-1/2 years with play sand in it and the sand was not yardright or old castle the only reason i used another type of play sand is thats all they have here in california and i had some big fish in my 100 gallon tank.
just to name a few fish
1- tiger shovel nose 16 inch,s
2 white fin black shark 10 inchs
okay lets get off of fresh water ....the point is we will see if other types of play sand work like the sand that i used...........white washed.....flame sanitized with no silica

evilbob22

Slade is right about no one wanting to commit either way. As I mentioned before, I personally am leary about the silicates. My thinking is that if the small amount in tap water is enough to cause diatom blooms, then the leaching from silicate sand is probably enough too. Of course I don't know enough chemistry to be positive, it may be that once the very fine silicate dust has been removed that the "larger" sand particles will not break down at all.
pas13 - Awsome! There is a SS private dealer in the next town over from where I live and another one in a small town I pass through on the way to work. Oh yes, and a couple more in Leesburg, VA, which I drive around on the way to work. I'm sure I'll be able to find it in at least one of them.

dskidmore

Originally Posted by EvilBob22
My thinking is that if the small amount in tap water is enough to cause diatom blooms, then the leaching from silicate sand is probably enough too.
Your glass aquarium is made out of silica sand, and you don't worry about significant leaching from it. I think there's a huge diffrence between silica already disoved in the tap water and silica bound up in a solid.
That said, I would still be cautious of sand I didn't know the source of. I'd want to trace back to the mine it came from, and get a friend in geology to help me figure out what kind of trace elements to expect from that area.

evilbob22

Good point, although I think there would be more chance of leaching from sand than from melted, formed and solidified sand (glass). It doesn't really matter though, neither of us are chemists. :)

N

nluchau

Heres the deal. Since I could not find any good sand - I am bringing back the above sand I purchased "Play Sand" and I already recieved from Dr Fosters Smith 2 bags of Carib-Aragonite sand. Today I was at my Local Home Depot and found they had the Good Sand in the first pic on this thread. I picked up a bag for 2.58. Now for a question. How deep should I have the Sandbed - obviously I cannot use all 3 bags - thats like 110 lbs of sand. All I want to have is a FOWLR and a possible Anenome. Whats a good sandbed depth.

dskidmore

Originally Posted by nluchau
Whats a good sandbed depth.
That sir, is a subject of great debate. I say if you have burroughing critters, make it fairly deep for thier comfort, otherwise, put in what is astheticly pleasing to you. Some people will say "make it shallow, so you don't get nitrate buildup," while others say "make it deep for the anerobic denitrifying bacteria." Success can be found with both methods.
You can always use some of that extra sand to make artificial rocks, maybe some cave structures, or large stones that don't come with standard live rock packages.

slock

Well, I guess my question has caused great debate. I think my take on the subject is I wanted sand with no silicates. I don't want blooms, even if minor, where I have to have the specific grazers to handle them. That's why I invested in rodi water, so don't want to take any chance that I'm going backwards in purity. The other non white sands I wouldn't even take a chance, who knows what's in there. Hopefully I would be getting less if not any trace metals or impurities in sand that that they scooped off of ocean floor or beaches, than something that was mined.