Is this sand "ok"?

bonebrake

I got this at a local Home Depot for $4.99. It failed the vinegar test; it did not bubble whatsoever. It is very fine, soft to the touch, and if you look closely it does not appear to be sharp or rough. Mostly rounded off sugar-sized particles. I also tested Play Sand made by Old Castle Stone Products (formerly Southdown) it did not bubble either and is of the exact same consistency.
Both were tested using distilled white vinegar diluted to 5% acetic acid in solution.
If I were to use either of these, would I be able to keep a decent sand bed with proper infauna if I purchased some live sand to seed it and a detrivore kit or two?
Should I wash the sand or just dump it in and let it settle?

wax32

I'm not a fan of saving money by buying hardware store sand, but if you do use it you should rinse it really well.

bang guy

If the sand was pure white and has a warning label on it about Silicosis then it will work fine.

wax32

I always thought you didn't want silica based sand, that you should look for aragonite based sand. Is that the same thing? Bang would know with those huge lagoons! Either way, I like the looks of Bimini Pink Carribsea sand.

bang guy

Silica based sand means it's mostly or partly silica. You want Aragonite sand or pure silica sand, no impurities.

bang guy

Originally Posted by m000240
help me, I'm new, what is the "vinegar test" for sand?
Alex
Honolulu, HI
Aragonite sand is made of Calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate dissolved fast in an acid. Vinegar is a mild acid and causes Calcium carbonate to dissolve and it creates lots of bubbles.
So, to test if a sand is made of Aragonite just mix with a little vinegar to see if it bubbles.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Silica based sand means it's mostly or partly silica. You want Aragonite sand or pure silica sand, no impurities.

I love this sight!

bang guy

I just wanted to add:
Pure white silica sand is only an indication that it's pure, there's no guarantee. Off-white or beige playsand is guaranteed to not be pure and shouldn't be used in saltwater.

wax32

Ahh, thanks Bang, now I get it.

bonebrake

I just wanted to add:
Pure white silica sand is only an indication that it's pure, there's no guarantee. Off-white or beige playsand is guaranteed to not be pure and shouldn't be used in saltwater.
It is very white sand. It did have the warning about containing trace amounts of silica, so if it contains trace amounts of silica, but does not fizz when soaked in vinegar, what is the rest of it made out of? Hopefully everything will be ok.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
It is very white sand. It did have the warning about containing trace amounts of silica, so if it contains trace amounts of silica, but does not fizz when soaked in vinegar, what is the rest of it made out of? Hopefully everything will be ok.
It's Silica. The warning is because Silica dust is a bad thing. Wear a mask when pouring it so you don't breath the dust.