is this true?

ratpack

i dont remember were i saw this but it is true that i can have more than an inch of fish per gallon on my tank?:notsure:

sly

Depends on how efficient your filter system is. If you have a simple bio wheel then you'd be pushing it. But if you have UV, Ozone, algae scrubber, skimmers, clean up crews, fresh inlet from the Pacific Ocean...
Then you could probably fit more in there.:joy:

D

daniel411

Thats like a "watts per gallon" type question. Theres alot of other factors, so if anything just use it as a suggested rule of thumb, that isn't always applicable.

T

thomas712

Better to give us a rundown on what you have in that 55 gallon. Give us how many and what type of fish you have, filtration of all forms.
I can tell you that Tangs in a 55 gallon are out, they simply require larger tanks and more swimming room.
Thomas

greatfullreefer

More than 1 inch of fish per gallon in saltwater is insane can you imagine 20 medium sized fish in a 55 gallon? There is no filtration available that could handle that kind of bio-load.

bang guy

I think you could easily set up filtration to handle 1" of fish per gallon.
But then, the fish would die from the stress produced from overcrowding.
Just stick to 1" per 5 gallons of tank capacity and your fish will live long lives. Be sure to use the expected max size of the fish when adding up to inches, not the current size.

ratpack

well i dont have a 55g i have now a 75g tank.
fish list:
2 percula clown
1 heniochus butterfly
1 Blue tang (im selling it)
1 Yellow Tang
1 cleaner shimp
a bunch of blue legs hermits craps
10pounds of live rock and 15 pound of base rock
and a 175 wet/dry with prefilter box
im looking for a proteing skimmer but still dont know wich one i should get. im gonna buy one next week so if somebody know a good one for me please let me know

T

thomas712

Huh, well I'm not sure where I got the idea you had a 55 gallon, sorry about that.
However.
Your tank really does look very nice.

ratpack

Originally posted by Bang Guy
Pretty.

i think it was on my profile. but i chage it.
my question is can i get some more fish. but little ones like blue and green chromis or i still have space for a bicolor angelfish?

T

thomas712

My opinion I would not add anymore fish to that tank. You may find space become an issue with the tangs later on as they grow, and I'm not sure that I would push the bio load any higher.
Now if you sell the blue tang as you suggest then perhpas you could replace it with a couple of chromis, I think that would work.
I had a bi color angel once, it didn't seem to last to long in my tank.
Thomas

ratpack

Originally posted by Thomas712
My opinion I would not add anymore fish to that tank. You may find space become an issue with the tangs later on as they grow, and I'm not sure that I would push the bio load any higher.
Now if you sell the blue tang as you suggest then perhpas you could replace it with a couple of chromis, I think that would work.
I had a bi color angel once, it didn't seem to last to long in my tank.
Thomas

thank for the info and yeah im gonna sell it. even when the blue tang is beutifull i dont know i want something more, and the yellow tang im gonna keep it but it will go to another tank. as soon as i get it ready

jb clown

Hey RatPack... Is that a 75 sealife system you have for a filter or a bigger one? I have a 75 sealife and i was wondering how did u get your return pips split into 2?

ratpack

Originally posted by jb clown
Hey RatPack... Is that a 75 sealife system you have for a filter or a bigger one? I have a 75 sealife and i was wondering how did u get your return pips split into 2?

no, thats a 175