Is this what I think it is?????

woodwalker

I noticed this under a shell in my tank. I have two false percs and not sure if this is eggs or not. I am not trying to mate the fish and have other fish in tank. If it is eggs now what????

kaingers

Congrats on the eggs. Looks like the clowns didn't get your memo about not mating. If you don't have the means to rear them they will not survive in your display tank. There is a lot of literature out there about how to rear if you are interested, if not they will make a good snack for everyone else in the tank. What is your invert stock list?

snakeblitz33

Wooo!!!! Congrats on the clutch! nice! They are eggs, however as mentioned, they will not survive in the display tank. Now that your clowns have mated, they will probably keep up that cycle, once every 28 days.
There is a lot of literature out there on how to breed/rear clownfish, but it's pretty difficult, especially for a novice. Good luck and hope everything works out.

woodwalker

How long do I have before the eggs hatch? In the tank Right now I have the two Percs(as mentioned), flame angel , yellow tang, feather duster, emerald crab, peppermint shrimp, chocalate star, and turbo snails.

lmecher

My clowns just started spawning. From what I have read water temp is a factor at 80F, 8 days at 76F, 11 days are approximate hatch time. If you really want to learn more you should read Clownfishes by Joyce D. Wilkerson. If you decide to try and raise the fry or not, it is very interesting. I found it very educational.

woodwalker

I sure never expected this and it looks like it is too late to start another tank for this batch.. Any other info would be great and next time around I will be ready.

sjohnson13

i love seeing clownfish eggs.
the best place that i have found is www.breedclownfish.com they offer alot of information that is very helpful but you will definitely have to do a lot of research if you want to try to raise them

Congrats
Mine lay every 14 days at the same time of day. The eggs hatch on the 9th night. Clowns truely are the Swiss clock of the ocean(aquarium)

rod buehle

Originally Posted by Alabama Reefer
http:///forum/post/2945577
Congrats
Mine lay every 14 days at the same time of day. The eggs hatch on the 9th night. Clowns truely are the Swiss clock of the ocean(aquarium)
Swiss clock that isnt very accurate
. Yes those are good averages but those numbers arent set in stone. In the summer when temps are warmer, some of my clowns hatch in 7-8 days (even as early as 6). Some of them spawn every 10, some of them every 14-16.. Temp can play a role, as well as different species can have different hatch rates/spawning frequencies. You are partially correct though. If they hatch in 8 days this batch, odds are that they will also hatch in 8 days on the next batch. As the temp warm in the summer, I wouldnt be surprised if all the eggs were gone/hatched when I went to pull them on day 8
I woulnt worry about trying to rear this first batch.. Take the time to get your rotifer cultures going, studying gestation periods and reading the "clownfishes" book by Joyce Wilkerson
For the first 5-10days (7 average) they will need live baby rotifers. Then when they start to go through metamorphosis they will need live brine that has been freshly hatched every day.