It Seems Like My 75g is missing something?

spiderwoman

Fake stuff out and more real LR in. If you want to stay FOWLR then that should do it, if you want a reef, add corals.

coral keeper

Take out the fake stuff, upgrade the lighting just a tiny bit if you don't want to go reef. The little extra lighting upgrade is for coraline algae.
Oh and, add more LR, but add a few very high quality LR with tons of color. You can also add a few feather dusters if your puffer wont eat em.

M

monsterm

Good Ideas! I will add some more LR and check into some new lighting. The only fake item in the tank is the pot. I have bleached coral skeletons and the large conch shell I got in Jamaica. Featherdusters hmmm...Any more suggestions on fish, inverts or aquascaping.

spiderwoman

I'd take the skeletons and conch shell out too. In my list those are fakes as well. Ideally you'd only have LR, LS and corals in a reef. I have seen a really nice coral placement on a clam shell once.

teresaq

if you want to keep the pot, instead of sitting out front, move it back and pile your rock and dead corals on top of it. make it part of your rock work instead of standing out so much. Same with the big shell

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/2622670
if you want to keep the pot, instead of sitting out front, move it back and pile your rock and dead corals on top of it. make it part of your rock work instead of standing out so much. Same with the big shell
great idea!

prime311

Some people like the fake stuff. As long as its not damaging the tank I don't see why they should take it out. Its all personal preference. The tank certainly could use more color though.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by prime311
http:///forum/post/2622743
Some people like the fake stuff. As long as its not damaging the tank I don't see why they should take it out. Its all personal preference. The tank certainly could use more color though.
I agree, it is completely up to you. What kind of lights do you have? The color will come in time. You could pick up a few pieces of cured rock with coraline growth already on it. It will spread out over the existing rocks.

M

monsterm

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. In addition to buying more LR, I might try a chemical called "Purple Up" to add some color to my LR. Has anyone tried Purple Up? Would anyone recommend it? Your responses are really helping me envision an awsome tank, Thanks again for the suggestions.

prime311

Well Rule #1 - Never add anything to your tank without being sure your tank is short on that type of chemical

Purple up primarily adds calcium to your tank, so if you're Calcium is fine then you don't need it. If you're Calcium is low then you just need to add Calcium. Purple up is just a fancy name for Calcium buffer :p
Purple up also doesn't add Coraline to your tank, it only helps it grow so if you have no Coraline algae currently it won't help you. You're best bet is to get a Live Rock with Coraline Algae growing on it and use it to seed your tank.
Also if you're Phosphate levels are high then it inhibits the growth of Coraline.

like everybody else said take fake stuff out-including the bleaced coral and conch shell.
you could try a smaller type of tang,gobies,anthias, cardinals, and etc.

M

monsterm

I just added 8lbs of Pukani Premium LR. I made sure to pick a piece with alot of coraline algae. I also took out the shell and bleached coral, I'll post new pictures when the sand settles. Phosphate is 3.0 Calcium is 500.