its a boy

pegasus

Lol! I couldn't see it very well!

Mighty handsome pal you have there.
If I didn't know the pic, I never would have known who it was, either... lol!

Yeah, that's my buddy Max. Got him and his sister when they were 5 weeks old, and both had coccidia. He got very sick, but we nursed him back to health. The sweetest, most loving 125 lb. Doberman I've ever seen. At least he's sweet towards me and the Mrs.!

Strangers... not so much... ;)

snakeblitz33

Beth, no its not mine. I wish it was, but it is a neighbors that let me hold and play with him for a little while.

I had a python and a boa at one time in my life, but that's all in the past now.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Wise decision. Constrictors and babies don't mix too well. Just saying...
Agree with that.

There is not a tight fitting lid made for a fish tank that will hold most constrictors. In fact, fish tanks are questionable as containments for most constrictors--like that redtail, for instances. Fully grown they can easily break the glass.

pegasus

Agree with that.

There is not a tight fitting lid made for a fish tank that will hold most constrictors. In fact, fish tanks are questionable as containments for most constrictors--like that redtail, for instances. Fully grown they can easily break the glass.
Sorry, Seth... I have to take Beth's side on this one. I may have raised 3 kids with Dobermans as their companions, but I would never risk an escaped constrictor. I could always count on my Dobbies to protect my children, but you don't hear of too many parents letting their kids sleep with boas or pythons. All it takes is one slip up, and they're out of their containment area. Just like this one that escaped from a pet store: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/08/05/children-dead-boa-constrictor-canada-new-brunswick/2619837/. There are quite a few more, but you get my gist...

pegasus

Obviously y'all never kept snakes. Alls good. I don't plan on getting one any time soon.
I have to deal with wild snakes too often to want one for a pet. My wife was bitten on the finger by a 13" cottonmouth a couple of weeks ago, and we just got the statement from the hospital. After one night in the ER on anti-venom, and half a day in a private room, the hospital bill is $225,370.33. As you can imagine, I'm not too happy with snakes right now...

PS: That doesn't include the $150 ER fee from the first hospital, or the $1,600 ambulance fee to transport her to the hospital with anti-venom...

pegasus

It's a little ironic... a week after this happened I was in line at the local grocery store, and this couple came up behind me as I was checking out. The cashier asked if I wanted a snake (not knowing about my wife being bitten), because the couple behind me had a python they were trying to give away. I didn't even ask what kind. I smiled, politely told them no thanks, and walked away.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I've been bitten a few times, but not by a cottonmouth....

Did the hospital have to fly in anti-venom?

pegasus

I've been bitten a few times, but not by a cottonmouth....

Did the hospital have to fly in anti-venom?
They didn't fly it in. The local hospital thought it would be quicker to transport her 35 miles to the nearest hospital that had the anti-venom. That hospital didn't have any beds open, so we spent the night in the emergency room. In the morning, a room became available, and she got moved to it until that afternoon, when they said she could go home. I know medical care can be expensive, depending on the circumstances, but didn't know it was possible to run up that much of a bill in less than 24 hours...

Kristin1234

They didn't fly it in. The local hospital thought it would be quicker to transport her 35 miles to the nearest hospital that had the anti-venom. That hospital didn't have any beds open, so we spent the night in the emergency room. In the morning, a room became available, and she got moved to it until that afternoon, when they said she could go home. I know medical care can be expensive, depending on the circumstances, but didn't know it was possible to run up that much of a bill in less than 24 hours...

Was your wife on the news? I saw a story about 2 weeks ago about a Texas woman lifting some pvc pipes and got but by a baby copper head! Her arm was so swollen.

snakeblitz33

The hospital here in my town charged me $2400 for a lortab, iodine dip and a bandaid. The only way I'll ever go back to a hospital is if I am dying. Literally. Dying.

flower

One word... Insurance. Nobody should wait until they think they are dying to go to the hospital because they fear a medical bill. For what it's worth, 99% of people who have no insurance, just don't pay the bill. It's better to stiff the hospital charging outrageous prices then dying. JMO, but I don't think insurance wouldn't be so expensive if the hospitals weren't gouging people with those ridicules charges.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, hospitals take a big hit from those that don't pay or don't have ins. In any event, if you are insured, you will pay only what ins co. says you have to pay. If you have no ins....then I guess you are breaking ObamaLaw.

I won't go to the hospital unless it is absolutely necessary. While my co-pay is only $100, I see what the ins co has to pay and, in the end, ins co will pass that price on to its customers with rate hikes. Better to find a local walk-in urgent care (many hospitals are starting to offer) which you can find in most places now.

pegasus

The hospital here in my town charged me $2400 for a lortab, iodine dip and a bandaid. The only way I'll ever go back to a hospital is if I am dying. Literally. Dying.
That reminds me... she did get two shots of morphine. That probably accounts for $150K... :eek:

It's a good thing we have good insurance. The hospital billed insurance for $225K, but our part was only $479. Yes, I realize that hospitals do "cost shifts" to cover indigent care, but I didn't expect them to bill my insurance for a month's rent on the entire facility! I'm curious as to how the insurance company is going to handle it. I expect there to be some scrutiny over that bill...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
They can bill for 10 million, but the ins. co will only pay what they agreed upon in their contract with the hospital.

lmforbis

Depending on how much anti venom they gave her that is probably a huge chunk of the cost. Most antivenoms cost between $1000 and $10,000 per vial usually multiple vials are used.
Got to look at the good side there was anti venom available and it worked so it sounds like your wife will be ok.