its finally going to happen!

rlablan

I did take it as rude, since I was THE ONLY ONE at the time, trying to help and just offering up what I know, or was mostly sure about.
EVERY time i have seen a school of yellow tangs, from reef keepers, to LFSs, they are always beat up and are very aggressive while feeding. I do know that you cannot keep a purple tang and a yellow tang together... They are the same shape with the same face.... So ergo, I assume you cannot keep them together in a tang like a 150.
That is also the point I brought up about the large tangs. If you buy them at 4'', they will QUICKLY out grow... I suggested keeping something like 2 or 3 inches...
Also things that SWF says are not always true and is not the be all end all of aquatic information.
there are some critters they have NO info on at all... and some things that they sell as "not invert" safe or the like and it's not true.

J

jetskiking

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3138606
hufff.... here goes.....
Tangs, for a 150gal looking at around 2 to 3. I'm not sure, at all, what a 4" tang, or the size of the tang, has much to do with anything . It matters on the species of fish. A 250gal is not an appropriate home for a Vlamingi tang. I would really reserve multiple yellow tangs to the tanks in the 300+gal range. The issue of a 150gal is 'most tangs' don't fit. Basically Zebrasoma tangs (yellow/purple/scopas), and Blue Hippos. Most Acanthurus angels need a 24" deep tank, will all but 3 or so needing more then 6feet of length.
Multiple anemones, even different species can be kept in the same tank. However some valid points were brought up. Anemones, especially BTA's will walk. Different species will sting each other and need their distance from each other. If you want an "anemone island" you're going to have to figure a way to kept them there. Also, the point of anemones being harder to keep is true as well, if you'd had success in the past, great.
Multiple angels, a tank in the 150gal range is suitable for multiple angels, especially multiple Centropyge
angels. Of course, if you're also considering coral safe angels, that's a completely separate idea.
Lastly, and this is by far the most bizarre idea I've heard, but a Rock Beauty is 100% an angelfish. It is in the Holocanthus
genus, a close relative of the Queen/Blue/Passer angel.
Most informative post yet. The key is that these things can be done in a large tank. A 150-200g tank is not a large tank when you are talking Tangs or large angels.

mr.clownfish

just talked with my parents and they said if the price is right they will go up to a 250gal. i hope i can find a good deal. we are thinking of spending 600-700 on a tank and stand together. what size do u think i can get with that? and im looking for a brand new tank.

mr.clownfish

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3138623
I did take it as rude, since I was THE ONLY ONE at the time, trying to help and just offering up what I know, or was mostly sure about.
EVERY time i have seen a school of yellow tangs, from reef keepers, to LFSs, they are always beat up and are very aggressive while feeding. I do know that you cannot keep a purple tang and a yellow tang together... They are the same shape with the same face.... So ergo, I assume you cannot keep them together in a tang like a 150.
That is also the point I brought up about the large tangs. If you buy them at 4'', they will QUICKLY out grow... I suggested keeping something like 2 or 3 inches...
Also things that SWF says are not always true and is not the be all end all of aquatic information.
there are some critters they have NO info on at all... and some things that they sell as "not invert" safe or the like and it's not true.
but what did you find rude?

julie853

I also have two islands in one of my aquariums and get alot of compliments on it.
I have kept three different kinds of anemones together in the same tank with no problems,just keep them at a safe difference from each other.

I found keeping anemones to be very easy for me and my first Bubble tip split with in 6 months for me and had no problems with my clowns hosting them.
I think you will be fine with your tangs in a 150.
It all sounds good,post pictures when you get it up.

julie853

One more thing if you can get a 200 gallon or larger it will pay off.
I purchased a 180 gallon and allready wish I would have went with 200 gallon or larger and the fish will be more happy.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Mr.clownfish
http:///forum/post/3138904
just talked with my parents and they said if the price is right they will go up to a 250gal. i hope i can find a good deal. we are thinking of spending 600-700 on a tank and stand together. what size do u think i can get with that? and im looking for a brand new tank.
You might be able to get new 75gal tank/stand for $600 from an LFS/box store. 180's usually run closer to $799 for the tank, $300 for the canopy, and another $600 for a plain stand.
Ocassionally there will be specials. They've had a closeout on a 210gal for $1499
The used market is definitely a buyer's market, but $600 seems about right for a pretty used 150gal tank and stand.

First of all you can't believe everything you read...
Alot of things can be be done in larger tanks that shouldn't dare even be tried in smaller tanks. You can do a school of yellow tangs. I had a yellow, scopas and purple together and never had any problems other than some minor tail slapping when they were 1st introduced. Most angels are a risk as far as nipping/eating corals but IMHO just as keeping numerous tangs, if you feed them enough it keeps alot of problems from ever arrising.
Have you ever had a Ritteri/Heteractis? They are some of the hardest anems to keep.
And last but not least you said you had 5K to spend on livestock? Why not just buy a really nice setup then work your way towards more expensive fish? Don't start pinching pennies already because you are going to run into things where you need more money. If you're going to do things right take your time and plan out a VERY specific budget.

coral keeper

I do know that you cannot keep a purple tang and a yellow tang together...
That's not entirely true. People have kept both in the same tank with no problems, if you do it right, you shouldn't have any problems.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3139269
3 nems. 180g.

I have 2 different kinds of Bubble Tip anemone, 1 large Purple Rock anemone, 10 or so mini Carpet Anemones, and I ordered 2 more anemones and they should be here next week. :) They are all in a 180 gallon mixed reef. Here is a picture of the Purple rock anemone. Its a good 7 inches. :)

coral keeper

Originally Posted by Mr.clownfish
http:///forum/post/3138904
I agree with AquaKnight, your best bet would be a used tank.

windlasher

http:///forum/post/3138244
Okay, just went back and read again...
School of yellow tangs?
I have to ask- how much research have you done on this?
You sound like you already have a tank, so that is good... but tangs don't get along when they are the same size shape or family... So a school of yellow tangs is out of the question. They would eat each other and they would all be banged up until someone eventually won.
As far as how many tangs, I don't know it depends on the dimensions of the tank itself and I think a 4in tang is pushing it, if you want alot of tangs. I think a 2-3 will be good, because they do grow and get very large.
Also, FYI, angels are not reef safe and keeping "a few" in a tank is not advisable. They don't get along either. I have a cherub in my reef and he is "reef safe" but not really. He does eat my corals a little. The bigger angels, I am afraid, will not be so docile. I think your coral will disappear right before your eyes.
Incorrect
. Yellow tangs of similar size all added at the same time will more than likely be fine.

windlasher

Originally Posted by rlablan http:///forum/post/3138226
I am 99% sure you can't keep more than 1 anemone. They will sting each other to death and kill each other through toxic warfare.
I also think that the anemone "island" is a poor plan. Anemones move around and will not stay on "an island" is you just will them to. They will not.
I think that in order to really break down the actual cost, you need to think about how you want to buy things. Will everything be brand new? Will some things be second hand??
Here is just an educated guess using craiglist in my area, which is phoenix.
150 tank with stand- ~$300.00 (second hand on CL)
175 watt hamilton MH fixture w/ 3 lamps- ~ $605.00 (not sure the dimensions of a 150 gal tank.)
120lbs LR of CL at ~3 a lb- $360.00 (this is worth the money IMO, just get mature, purple rock. I would not buy much less than 120lbs.)
120 lbs of LS $60 for 20lbs at $360- (I would not buy this used... It's expensive but I have heard nasty things about other people's LS and have bought some myself. Not worth it... buy it from the LFS.)
salt mix for just 150 gallons of water- ~$55.00
so far... the total is coming up to about $1,320.00 w/o tax or shipping or anything. Also, that is without the skimmer, livestock or anything else.
Also incorrect.https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/365740/its-finally-going-to-happen/20
that is a thread by Rod (of Rods Foods) who is an expert on nems and knows a hell of a lot more about them than any of us. ALso google "Karens Rose Anemones". ANother expert anemone raiser. Anemones of the same kind can usually be housed together.

windlasher

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/3139319
I agree with AquaKnight, your best bet would be a used tank.
be careful with used tanks from private owners. if you can get s used one from a store that will guarantee it that will be better. your parents are gonna be pissed if it fails for some reason.
As, I said, if you can build the stand you might save money.
You will also notice if you look carefully in pic 2, the 3 TANGS in there. A yellow, A Sailfin, & a Lopezi. They all swim together like that every moment of the day.

pic 1 is an oak stand that I built. about $200 in OAK, and an afternoon.
pic 2 is the top of it with the same panels.
pic three is a plywood stand I built for the 370, I am putting in. About $40 in wood, and an afternoon.

windlasher

thats probably because LFS tend to dump all the yellows into a tank with the ones that are already there and established, so they fight. a good LFS would rotate tanks after receiving a new shipment in so that all of them are in a different tank each time new ones are added.

julie853

Wow,I love the stand you made in the first picture.
Very unique!
Wish I had that ability,tried to make a stand years ago for a small tank and needless to say it didn't come out looking to good.

windlasher

Originally Posted by julie853
http:///forum/post/3139478
Wow,I love the stand you made in the first picture.
Very unique!
Wish I had that ability,tried to make a stand years ago for a small tank and needless to say it didn't come out looking to good.

The new one will have removable oak panels all around so you wont be able to tell its not all oak.
The glass in the first one is just plexiglass with sticky paper patterns on it. I cheated -

julie853

That's just sticky paper on plexi glass,I would never had known I thougt for sure it looked like real stained glass.
Very creative.
I wish I could come up with ideas like that but not my luck.