I've been screwed!

azfishgal

OK, lesson learned the hardway. I got a 12g Cube Masters (but only holds 10 gallons) about three weeks ago. YES, should have done my research first, as I'm learning this nano cube is a piece of junk!
One light has already stopped working and I've found out it's not the bulb, but the fixture itself. Come to find out this is a big problem with these tanks. (WARNING: DO NOT BUY A CUBE MASTERS.) I didn't buy this from a retailer but from an on-line store (not SWF) and come to find out (yes, again should have researched this) they don't exchange, refund, or guarantee any product, I must go through the manufacture warranty, which of course I can't seem to find any. :mad: I'm using the nano tank as a QT for my much larger 125 gallon tank, but it would still be nice if the lights worked. Is there anyway I can put different lights on this thing? The bulbs are 12 inches long.

skipperdz

there are sites on here that you are able to buy entire nano tops with various lighting fixture setups. unfortunatley i cant remember it so youll have to google it. also drs foster and smith website have really good lights there too. nano tanks are pretty expensive to have as a qt tank. i havea 10g top fin tank i use for qt. its cheap and its only used for new/sick fish no need to spend a hundred somthing or more on a qt.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by skipperdz
there are sites on here that you are able to buy entire nano tops with various lighting fixture setups. unfortunatley i cant remember it so youll have to google it. also drs foster and smith website have really good lights there too. nano tanks are pretty expensive to have as a qt tank. i havea 10g top fin tank i use for qt. its cheap and its only used for new/sick fish no need to spend a hundred somthing or more on a qt.
Thanks. I only spent $98 for it, so I thought it was a pretty good deal, BUT like the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for." With that said, I would do things different if I had to do it all again. I also had in the back of my mind to use the nano tank as a clown breeder tank after I was done QT all my new fish. I would like to get a 20L for a QT, that way I can still use it when my tangs get bigger.

demartini

The same thing happened to me! the hood will always go out no matter what! Cube master is the worst brand for a nano... try to get a full refund and buy a biocube!

azfishgal

Originally Posted by DeMartini
The same thing happened to me! the hood will always go out no matter what! Cube master is the worst brand for a nano... try to get a full refund and buy a biocube!
Ya, I remember reading one of your posts when I did a search on "cube masters" and was thinking, "Oh great, there goes my $100." I did email the website I got it from, but I have a feeling I'm going to have to eat it. I wish I would have gotten it from a lfs like you did, then I'd probably get my money back. Thanks for your response.
I've also lost the nice looking coraline that was on my lr, not sure that had to do with my lights.

demartini

If you can't return it then you can buy a clip on light. I think you said you were using it just as a qt tank, so you could buy a cheap clip on PC... coralife would be a good brand for that.

azfishgal

If you can't return it then you can buy a clip on light. I think you said you were using it just as a qt tank, so you could buy a cheap clip on PC... coralife would be a good brand for that.
I'll look into that, thanks.

kiddie lala

Originally Posted by azfishgal
I'll look into that, thanks.

Do they have the glass tops for the cube. then if they do, instead of buying the clip on, maybe you could buy a Coralife mini fixture.

rabid frog

You could also get a hanging pendant light. Get a lil hqi mh or something and turn it into a bad arse Nano. Once the lights go bad in my wifes Aquapod I am going the Mh route. You could also look into a sunpod light. They are supposed to be pretty good.

azfishgal

I was thinking of a Sunpod or the Coralife Minnie that Kiddie was talking about. I actually have one for my sump, not being used yet as I'm still waiting for the big tank to be set up (later this week). I don't think they make glass tops for the Nano's, but I could get an egg crate and cut it to size and put the light on that. As far as hanging one, not sure how I would do that, as I have very tall ceilings, would have to rig something up if I did that. :thinking:

rabid frog

I would not worry about covering the top. Unless you have fish tht are prone to jumping. I.e blennies or other skittish fish. I run my 75 open top. My plants love the humidity in the house.

azfishgal

the sunpod is supposed to be great. I'm going to be buying it in a couple weeks for my biocube!!
Will it be attached to your hood? I've seen the larger Sunpods and was thinking about getting one for my large tank. How small is the light you are getting?
Well, I might be getting this thing resolved. I talked with the internet site, and they said I have the newer 2007 model and they have been sending those out since October, with no complaints. They are no longer using the compact lights, but T-5s. They said to send the lid back and they would send me a replacement. The guy was very nice and very willing to resolve this for me, so we'll see what happens. Was your lights T-5s or compacts in your old Cube Masters?

demartini

It's a clip on... I'm getting the 70 watt and I think it's the 20 inches. They do come in 16.5 inches, so no hood.
My LFS had some new cube master they even set one up for display. The lighting had this really weird pink tint... it was ugly. I think the manager said that the lights don't have reflectors, and they may not even be as strong as the pc. They ended up switching back to the old hood. They were going to give me the 2007 hood, but I didn't want anymore problems!

hatessushi

The lighting isn't as crucial with a QT unless you plan on putting corals in it. If not adding any corals then any light will work pretty much.

demartini

Originally Posted by HatesSushi
The lighting isn't as crucial with a QT unless you plan on putting corals in it. If not adding any corals then any light will work pretty much.
I'm under the impression that you do want to put coral in, but hatesushi is right... you don't need to waste your money if it's only going to be a qt... but if your going to add coral then sunpod all the way!! lol

azfishgal

My LFS had some new cube master they even set one up for display. The lighting had this really weird pink tint... it was ugly. I think the manager said that the lights don't have reflectors, and they may not even be as strong as the pc. They ended up switching back to the old hood. They were going to give me the 2007 hood, but I didn't want anymore problems!
Well, my lights didn't look pink and they did have reflectors so not sure what your lfs had. I have the hood all boxed up and I'm sending it back keeping my fingers crossed. If it breaks again, I'm requesting a refund.
I'll eventually have a larger QT, for the simple fact my fish will be big when they grow up (hippo tang), so when that happens then I would like to use this Nano as a "mini" reef, maybe stick it in my daughters room as she keeps nagging me to have a fish tank in her room. Either that or I was going to use it as a breeder tank for my clowns. I'd like to have options, so really hoping this new hood works out.

azfishgal

It's a clip on... I'm getting the 70 watt and I think it's the 20 inches. They do come in 16.5 inches, so no hood.
When you get it set up, I'd like to see a pic. :joy:

maelv

Question for you nano pod guru's.....
The Drs. sell a JBJ 12 gallon nano. The deluxe model with the double 24-watt 50/50 is $199....
There is a guy locally who is selling that particular unit that is 4 months old for $100 (with a MJ 1200 he swapped out)....is this a good deal for the unit? Or is this even a good unit at all?
The wife wants a small reef for her office, and thought I could get her one. And with that stock lighting, will I be able to throw corals in the tank?
Thanks all.