jebo odyssea lighting

krazekajin

I have a 36in 3 cord 175watt MH and 2 65watt Atictic (whatever)
I started my tank on a very low budget. I took a chance on the lights because I did not have $400 to spend. I have liked mine. The stand for my lights are metal, so I think it is good. I did not buy mine on ----, but rather an online store.
I LIKE THEM FOR THE MONEY. WHEN I AM RICH I WILL GET OTHERS, maybe

gdleader

I like the fixture. I have the 48" 2x250 HQI 4x65 PC w/ moonlights. Just wondering, does anyone know where to find a hanging kit that works with these fixtures?

joncat24

i have the 72" 785 watt metal halide and it is awesome. before it I had the 260 watt pc on my 72 for a year and it was awesome too.
I have two friends who have the metal halides (48") and both of theirs are perfect as well. I think people just crack on them because they are cheaper.
As for the fire thing, I seem to recall recently a current fixture on here that caught fire, so does that make all current fixtures bad. And alot of times it is because people do stupid crap with them like changing the wattage on the bulbs and trying to run 4 96 watt bulbs in a fixture that is rated to run 4 65 watts. If you havent had them, I dont see how you can say anything bad about them, because all you are going off of is heresay.
to sum it all up I got a light for $400 that would have cost $1200 in any other brand and it works like a charm. I recommend Odyssea lights to anyone who doesn't want to spend a grand on lighting.....JMO

05xrunner

I never had them...but the person said they are not U.L. that was the old ones...I hear the new ones with individual cords are U.L.

gdleader

I do agree that these lights are great for their prices. only reason for lights burning out and catching on fire is cause people do crazy stuff with their lights. not every high rated brands are good. for example, sony they are great rated and people love them, but even their best products have problems.

chimchim

We have had our light for about a year in a half. The we didn't like the hanging kit, but used it because the legs made it were the canopy wouldn't fit on it. It gets really hot too! After about two months one of the fans went out, inside the housing. Next the ballast leaked liquid. We have never modified the light like other people said. We bought it and put it on the aquarium. We did have the proper light bulbs not painted ones like other stated too. This was a great light for the money at the time, but recently we were sitting in the living room and we smelled an electrical smell, like something was on fire. :mad: We went into the office and there was a little smoke and had we not been home our house would be burnt down. The Ballast was smoking and we had unplugged it just in time. Now we are looking for a new light. Thanks to Odyssea! :mad:

taitai

I was reading all the posts about these lights.I have a 44 gal pentagon tank and have 2 Perfecto lights on it. They are 20 1/4 " x 4 ". They are spaced about 1/4 " apart. The lid that I have has 2 spaces for these lights. My question is the Odyssea lights I am looking at ( PC) are 20 " long x 4". They look like they would fit my tank perfectly, although I am concerned about all the bad comments on these lights. Does anyone know of another company that would have lights this dimension that would fit my tank. All I can find are lights that are 24" and bigger.I would appreciate the help.
TaiTai

05xrunner

I have the 48" 760w light and I think its great..I put the Halides of my choice in it 14k phoenix and run coralvue ballast and its still a money saver compared to all the others.

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
I never had them...but the person said they are not U.L. that was the old ones...I hear the new ones with individual cords are U.L.
I just ordered a 2007 model of the jebo 48", they arent UL Listed, but unless you plan on dropping it in water, its pretty basic stuff...120 volt in, 120 volts out, if it smokes, throw it out!!!

K

kellen85

imo i didn't like it. it was great for about 4 months. then one day it just sparked and went out. my ballast blew. that was my only problem. i also had a filter by odyssea and it went out aswell. i found a coralife fixture on ---- for like 250 i believe. its a huge difference in quality and not much more
look around before comitting to anything

shadow_70_2002

I see a few comments about the Odyssea / Jebo lighting and have a question in hopes someone might have an answer.
I have (had) an Odyssea PC 36" for the tank in my childs nursery.
Unfortunately it literally went up in flames on the weekend.
Fortunately my daughter was not in her crib and we were home to catch it before it got too out of hand. But not before it did some damage.
I have been trying to find the manufacturer website for contact information and have not been to successful in finding anything.
I wouldn't mind having a chat with them about their product :)
Anyone had any contact with them?

fishermon

I've had some problems with mine.
I have what was suppose to be 2x175w HQI (it is really 150w). I don't know how they get away with selling it as 175w. I found out the hard way. Try to find a 175 hqi-nowhere. I was told from a lighting expert they were selling 150w as 175w. The bulbs they come with are junk. They cause nuisance blooms like crazy. I replaced them with Coralife 150w 10k, and now I'm happy with the halides.
What really made me mad is about 6 months after I had the light the 2x96w pc actincs stopped working. So I ordered new bulbs. Still didn't work. I took the ballast apart and it looked like melted wax. The old ballast read like 182w total. This is for 2X96w light? Doesn't add up. I finally found a ballast at an online store rated for 2x96w-wired it up & the actnics are working again. I think this was a common problem for that series light. If anyone has the same problem, I can recomend an online store for a replacement ballast.
From what I read I think their lights are getting better. Sure can't beat the prices, but you get what you pay for.
My cooling fans quit working soon after instillation. I just added a small 4" fan under my canopy & leave it running all the time. I've never had any heat issues.
If I had it to do over again I would've bought the same light even after all the retrofitting I had to do. It is the only light I could find that would fit under my canopy (I had to rewire the plugs 1st they came out of the side of the light & I moved them to the bottom).
The quality is very poor!
The only reason I am somewhat happy is they fit (barely) under my canopy (I have a bowfront tank & most mh lights are to wide to fit).
As far as customer support goes. THERE IS NONE. THEY SUCK!

bradig

I have the same problem as you. My power compact 96 watt Ballast burned out. Of course that place on line only had ballasts to power one 96 watt bulb. Not sure what good that will do. I don't even think they sell a fixture that is a single 96watt bulb. That is neither here nor there, I digress. Can you send me a link or the name of the ballast you bought to replace the one you had. I was looking at ice cap, but if I can do it at an electrical supply store that would be better.

Well those units are a fire hazard! Alot of people have had problems!!
So you will save 300.00 at most and you still have to worry about you loosing you home due to chinese cheap lights.... Its not worth it. The best advice anyone can give, save your money for a good quality system and you dont have to worry about you house burning down because you wanted to save some money. Those units are not UL tested come on guys.

drewissett

Hey guys,
Glad i found this thread! My 130 PC just stopped working, The moonlights still work, and so do the fans, but both lights are out... I checked the bulbs, and its not them. Is this the ballast then? Is there a fuse that could have gone? I am certainly not an electrician, but I am confident in trying to fix/replace the problem if I can get a diagnosis...
I would appreciate the links for replacement parts...
drewbissett@nycap.rr.com
Thanks!
Andrew

reefraff

Originally Posted by FISHERMON
I've had some problems with mine.
I have what was suppose to be 2x175w HQI (it is really 150w). I don't know how they get away with selling it as 175w. I found out the hard way. Try to find a 175 hqi-nowhere. I was told from a lighting expert they were selling 150w as 175w. The bulbs they come with are junk. They cause nuisance blooms like crazy. I replaced them with Coralife 150w 10k, and now I'm happy with the halides.
What really made me mad is about 6 months after I had the light the 2x96w pc actincs stopped working. So I ordered new bulbs. Still didn't work. I took the ballast apart and it looked like melted wax. The old ballast read like 182w total. This is for 2X96w light? Doesn't add up. I finally found a ballast at an online store rated for 2x96w-wired it up & the actnics are working again. I think this was a common problem for that series light. If anyone has the same problem, I can recomend an online store for a replacement ballast.
From what I read I think their lights are getting better. Sure can't beat the prices, but you get what you pay for.
My cooling fans quit working soon after instillation. I just added a small 4" fan under my canopy & leave it running all the time. I've never had any heat issues.
If I had it to do over again I would've bought the same light even after all the retrofitting I had to do. It is the only light I could find that would fit under my canopy (I had to rewire the plugs 1st they came out of the side of the light & I moved them to the bottom).
The quality is very poor!
The only reason I am somewhat happy is they fit (barely) under my canopy (I have a bowfront tank & most mh lights are to wide to fit).
As far as customer support goes. THERE IS NONE. THEY SUCK!
There really are 175 watt HQI lamps. That ballast will actually UNDERDRIVE 150 watt lamps according to the owner of a lighting business that has nothing to do with aquarium lighting so he would have no reason to lie. He posted specs on another reef board and explained how a 175 watt ballast could underdrive a lower wattage lamp. They have different running voltages.

N

northernforest

I think I may be getting in one of these lights today. I Bid and won mine on ----. Please click the link to the

[hr]
below and tell me if this is the same light that is in question. After I read this last night I emailed the seller asking if I can do a return please see below.
Me: I was doing some reading about the light that I got from you that should be here in the morning.I was shocked to here that so many problems have accrued with them including them starting on fire.I was wondering if you would let me return the light for a refund of the

[hr]
price only.I just cant take the chance with my house.Please read the form below.I know I would hate to have my company held responsible if something was to happen.
His Responce:Hello, we had NO Problems with our lights. The lights that you are referring to may be the JEBO lights, we do not carry this brand in lights. We have never heard of any problems. Please see our listing on this light for sales conditions. Thank You.
This is the light I got:
http://cgi.----.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260210938541

N

northernforest

Looks like you need to add e bay as one word where the dashes are on the link.I dont know why the do that thing on this site.