Jellyfish Tank

farslayer

Ok, anybody ever try something like this? I am now seriously considering what was once just a goofy idea in my head.

zeke92

some people have done it but its hard to find jellyfish and there extremely hard to keep.
plus it wouldn't be a reef tank =P

piscian

I've seen a couple of them and they are beautiful. Just realize that you are going to have to do frequent water changes because they are messy eaters from what I've heard.

farslayer

Yup, same things I've heard. I plan on having a tank with perhaps some sand, but no rocks, only the jellies. Any ideas on what is good filtration? I know they need very still water, but obviously it needs filtered.

maxalmon

They require a very specialized tank that's typically round and uses a very gentle pump system to keep them from bouncing off the tank wall. They can be kept, but lots of work and skills required.
There is a local bar that has "Mermaid Lounge" cheesy but it's vegas. They have a huge jellyfish tank, you can see them in the pic at the top.

piscian

They have that same type of one here at the aquarium and at a fondue restaurant. They are mesmerizing to watch.

maxalmon

Originally Posted by fish4ever
How about an undergravel filter or a corner internal canister filter.

This is way out of my realm, I have no idea.

fish4ever

Well, undergravel filters have hardly any flow if you set them up right. There are so many ways of using them. I would personally use a deep sand bed with them and either a powerhead with reverse flow or airstones shoved down at the bottom of the tubes.
Or one of those cheap clear internal corner canister filters that you can add whatever media to them and an air pump to run it. The guy in my town who runs the only lfs, (only freshwater fish), has used this system in all of his 30 tanks for over 46 years. Just some ideas of low-flow filtration.

piscian

Do you have a local aquarium that you could contact to ask? That might be your best bet in getting all of your questions answered by professionals.

farslayer

Actually I have a membership with the Newport Aquarium in Newport, KY. They have a jellyfish room which is very sweet. They are very thin tanks in the walls and don't appear to be rounded, but I actually was looking at perhaps a hexagon tank to sit in the corner of my dining room. It appeared that they needed a lot of up/down room and less side to side. I had no idea how many I could keep in one tank and still allow them to be happy. I think it would be a good idea for me to contact Newport and see if perhaps they could offer some advice. I wonder if someone has an actual tank setup somewhere in terms of some diagrams?

maxalmon

One tank that I looked at was in a wall and setup like this. There were very small holes drilled inthe side of the tank that had very gentle waterjets that kept the water swirling in a cirlcle and the jellies away from the tank edges.

zeke92

i'd sya you would need a power head, protien skimmer, lots of live rock, a tall tank, special lighting, it's prbably gonna be hard. but i ahvent done much research on jellyfish tho

er..md

Sushi bar in the Bellagio (shintaro) has a 3 huge jellyfish tanks check it out on their web site...
and pretty good sushi as well

mcbdz

This was advertized in the Aquarium mag. Try Jelliquarium and dot com it. They have tanks and aquacultured jellies.

farslayer

I just checked jelliquarium, and that's what I need! A bit pricey, as the $1,500 tank is aweful small, but I think I can build something similar. They at least have some jellyfish for sale at reasonable prices, so I'll find out how durable those moon jellies are and see about building something.
Thanks for the help!

mikersof

LFS for some crazy reason got a couple of jellies in. It was sad. They kept getting stuck to the pre-filter on the intakes and try as she could to keep them off, they both died.
Stay away from Box Jellies! Saw a special on them on the National Geographic Channel. They are killers!!! WHEW!
If you go for it, I hope you will post a "As I build it" thread.
BEST WISHES with it!

farslayer

I'm still up in the air about it to be honest. From what I've read, some are just nigh impossible to keep due to feeding and lighting, since some are still photosynthetic. The cost is what is getting me. I need to be able to get a round tank, perhaps with an overflow, but the returns would need to be something like pvc pipe near the bottom of the tank, leaving the center areas mostly undisturbed. I wish Newport Aquarium had guides :(
Plus, it seems as if the jellies may need 55-65 degree water, so I have to work a chiller in there as well. Since the stuff can't be in the tank, I'll need plenty of room to fit this stuff into the sump.
The crappy part is that if it doesn't work to keep these things alive, I have no more use for it.
I wonder if a 46G bowfront would possibly work for these animals?

ophiura

They are not impossible to keep BUT you DO need the right tank, and that is not a regular hobbyist tank! Not a hex, not a bowfront, not something with sand. People don't understand how delicate these are. No undergravel filter, no corners, not even quite the same overflows.....none of these are appropriate for pelagic jellyfish (those that swim around).
You need a Kreisel tank, and there really is no way around it. If you have the proper tank, with a chiller, they are not hard to keep. But please don't do this if you are not willing to make the investment in a Kreisel. You don't necessarily need to spend 1500$, I am sure you can do one DIY, but it is not cheap either.
If it doesn't work, the tanks can be used for seahorses as well, without much trouble, IMO. But they are a challenge to clean tanks, often the siphon is nothing larger than airline tubing and even then, you can damage them.