Jellyfish Tank

daayda3

-jellyfish is my next thing I want to do... (when we move... and whne I have a bigger room... and the money... time... space... )
Ok, maybe its not going to happen...

farslayer

Last time I hit NewPort they had just broken their jellyfish display down, VERY disappointed. It was before Memorial Day because I took my son and didn't have to ditch the stroller due to that stupid summer rule they have. But yes, it was wonderful.
Ok, now for the update. I've been speaking with Adam Blundell, the gentleman with the Masters degree in Marine Ecology; this guy knows his stuff. I've spoken to him about my design, and basically I was close in that the curves had to be there, but in the U shape. He's also said that the tank temperature can readily be 65-70 degrees with no ill effects; however, I will install both a heater and a chiller.
He also discussed feeding. Baby brine seems to be the food of choice, but he said the frozen cyclopeeze and DTs Oyster Eggs are acceptable and a good source of nutrition. As I said to him, I have to make sure I can care for these animals. I'm sure they would rather be in the ocean (well, they're captive raised, but still), so I'm not going to subject them to malnourishment.
I'm going to install T5 lighting, actinic only, over the tank. The tank is a 29G and I'll have a 10G or higher fuge. Also, he said to use a simple rio or maxijet as a return pump, which feeds into a spray bar placed vertically OUTSIDE of the sectioned off display area, angled to create a cyclone effect. This is the inlet, low flow spray bar, likely on the left side of my tank, with the outlet on the right.
I also mentioned a UV sterilizer, which he said was a great idea since hydroids are apparently a problem. He said you can scrape them off the glass with a simple sponge, then let the sterilizer finish them off.
He also said that a skimmer is absolutely essential and to get one, such as the ASM G2. I'm not familiar with this, so if somebody out there is in the know, I'm all ears :) I'm also going to run a DSB in the fuge, fill it with cheato an PC lighting, plus run active carbon in a canister. I want superb water for these babies.
I'm expecting to start on this project before the end of the year, going very low cost on it. I've already got the chiller and tank, so no worry there. Styrene costs like $12 for a sheet more than what I need, and of course the plumbing and powerhead will cost less than $50 combined, if that. I think I want to see if I can keep the water at the right temperature without resorting to the chiller. It stays around 75 in my house, so it should be easy to keep the water cool, but I want to test it out. Lights of course are optional for moon jellies, they don't need light.
So, I'll keep everybody posted, this should be a cool project.

farslayer

Ok, this is going to be a several-months project; I believe that an imminent divorce is no longer a threat, but if it is, I will need someone to stand in for her and clean the house, cook, watch the kid, etc :) Ok, just j/k.
I've got the 29G tank from out of the basement and am looking to locate this thing somewhere. I wanted to put it in the dining room, but that was axed very quickly. So now I'm debating on either my office or the nursery.
The first bit of equipment I need is the styrene sheet. USPlastic.com has it (no fish stuff there, safe link!), but I'm not sure about the thickness. It ranges from .020 to .187mm in thickness, with a default selection of .040. Does anyone have any experience with high impact styrene to give me an idea of how flexible/rigid it may be? I need to shape this into a U which goes from the top left to the top right of the tank; this is where the jellies will go.
Oh, and moon jellies don't sting, FYI :)