Just a little help needed......

madtownman

It seems like my mushrooms have been declining lately....... I dont understand why really....
Backround:
I have a biocube29 with a sapphire skimmer
updated stock pump to RIO 1400
additional penguin 145gph PH
144W light upgrade
Heres my levels:
Amm - 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate-20
p.H. - 8.0
Phosphate - 0
Calcium - 500
Salinity - 1.027
ALK (dKh) - 11.2
KH - 161
temp - 81 constant
I cant seem to get the ALK down and the pH up at all.....
Does anybody know how to do this safely???
THANKS!!

mikeymutt

Ck your lighting,how old are they ,ever replace them,how long are your lights on for. Whats your flow rate.. Good luck man

bang guy

If it were me I wouldn't try to adjust PH, it's fine. ALK and Ca are a bit high but not out of line. What additives are you using? Have you been using tap water?

madtownman

My bulbs are 2 months old. I run the actnic for 1/2 an hour(5:45am), then one pc joins it for a 1/2 hour(6:15am). Then another pc and 50/50 joins it.(6:45), and 15 min later the actnic turns off(7:00am). The 50/50 and 2 pcs run until 6:00. At 5:30, the single pc turns off and the actnic turns on. At 6:00 the 50/50 and pc turns off and the single pc turns back on. At 6:15 the single pc turns off. At 6:45 the actnics turn off and a r5 moonlight turns on.
The additives i use are coral-accel by kent, and coral vite. I also have tried using precision pH buffer by blue life. I also use a bag of chemi-pure.
The water I use is mixed at the fish store, and i also use R/O that I purchase.
The flow rate is between 560-500 gph.
I have been thinking about getting a koralia to replace the penguin, and it will add 50 more gph. I just dont want to make a tornado...lol...

bang guy

If ALK is high then you need to back off of the PH Buffer.
The following is a scenario I have seen several times, well, more than several times:
PH tests 8.0 or 8.1 and the hobbiest is told that 8.3 is the "right" value (this is hogwash) and that they need to purchase PH UP or some other marketing gimmick called "buffer".
ALK begins to climb because of the "buffer". "Buffer" is a marketing term for an alkalinity additive. It's usually a mix of Sodium carbonate and Sodium bicarbonate sometimes with an excess of Borate added.
Alk climbs to a certain point and begins to precipitate. The precipitation causes the PH to fall so the hobbiest adds even more buffer. At this point the corals begin to get stressed because of the fluctuating ALK levels.
I don't know if this is happening in your tank but if you think ALK is too high you need to use less "buffer".

madtownman

Thank you for your help so far....
I have not used the buffer in about a week, and since then done have done a 5 gallon water change. I do one about every week and a half, give or take a day.... I test everyday, and keep it in a log. Though I just started testing for ALK.. stupid me..... Ive tested for everything else since i set up the tank.
I also do have good water circulation on the top of the water, and I keep the top flap open all the time for fresh air to hit the water.... I just dont get it..
So is there any way to raise the pH and lower the ALK??

bang guy

ALK should lower naturally if you stop adding it.
PH is a window into what's going on in your tank. A single PH test really isn't informative, you should test at least twice in the same day. Before the lights come on in the morning should be the low point of the day, just before the lights go out should be the high point. If the average in in the range of 8.0 - 8.5 then there are no major PH problems.
Safe ways to raise PH:
Remove all detritus from corners and filter pads.
Open a window in the fish room.
Increase circulation.
Feed less food, stock lightly.
If ALK is normal do not add buffer to raise PH.