Just Bought my MH's (Hamilton)

euphoria

After a lot of confusion, reading and frustration w/ different choices, I went w/ Hamilton HQI ballast that will house 3x250W double ended hamilton 10K's for now (will switch to Ushio 14K's later on) and 2x165W VHO actinic O3's. Also upgraded to their high end reflector for a total of $1260 w/ tax. Couldn't get moonlights w/ the unit, so I'll add those separately.
I don't want to hang this unit from the ceiling, so I plan to put some bricks on top of the tank and sit the unit on top of the bricks. The top will be all enclosed later on so that all the wires and bricks are hidden.
Any opinions are welcomed.

payne66801

Why bricks??? Why not a wood frame or metal?? I am asking because I new at this and let me know via here how you like them. Because I am looking really hard at this unit...
5' DLX 2MH & 2 PC COMPACT FL 2-96W
2 - Metal Halide bulbs (See Option to Upgrade your Metal Halide and ballast to a higher Kelvin (Whiter & Bluer) and/or higher wattage (Brighter). For tank height 18" to 36" use MH 175W / 24" to 36" use MH 250W / 24" to 60" use MH 400W), 2 - 96W 7100K Blue PC Compact Fluorescent bulbs, 2 - 4" fans, High Quality electro-white reflector, Black Aluminum canopy. Dawn to dusk effect - one control for the metal halides and one control for the compact fluorescents. Dimensions: L60"xW11.5"xH6.5"
With 175watt 20k bulbs and 2 96 antinics..
125g tank so it would be 4.5 watts per gallon. My big issue is my tank has a center divider in it so I can not get a 3 bulber do to massive heat on the divider and it might pop the glass... So any way let me know how you like the unit...

euphoria

I decided to put it on a brick cuz if you put it straight on the acrylic it may melt. Also wood is not the best choice in a damp or hot environment. Brick seems to be the best choice so far and won't catch on fire or melt from heat from the MH bulbs.
How deep is your tank? the watts/gallon is a useless measurement, IMO. If your tank is less than 24' deep, then you'd be fine. I think you'd be able to keep SPS and anything you want on that setup.

payne66801

It is a 21.5 inch deep tank. The hamilton sight sayes it should have 175mh and the break off is 24 inches. That is to step up to 250mh

T

tizzo

Hey Euphoria, glad to see you got your new set-up!!
I didn't wanna hang mine from the cieling either, so here's an alternative suggestion. I used what's called a "riser" from the stair dept at Lowe's and a couple of wrought iron plant hangers... Little trim around the edges to make it pretty, Total cost was less than 50 bucks... Just a suggestion...

T

tizzo

But I have since fixed the "crookedness". I forgot to compensate the weight if the actual power cords.

blazehok68

Originally Posted by Tizzo
I didn't wanna hang mine from the cieling either, so here's an alternative suggestion. I used what's called a "riser" from the stair dept at Lowe's and a couple of wrought iron plant hangers... Little trim around the edges to make it pretty, Total cost was less than 50 bucks... Just a suggestion...
GOOD FRICKIN IDEA!!

bigmac

Originally Posted by BLAZEHOK68
GOOD FRICKIN IDEA!!

Keeping pendantsfixtures likes these off the tank and NOT enclosed is what can decide the chiller factor...Good job Tizzo

euphoria

Hey Tizzo. How you doin'

I am going to try to just place it on bricks on top of the tank and only enclose the front and right side of the tank so the light and bricks dont show. The left side of the tank is near a wall, so nothing can be seen, and the back is, well against a wall, so nothing can be seen either.
I really want to enclose the front and right side, because when you sit down on my couches, the light will just always hit you in the eye and be annoying, so I want to make sure all light is blocked off into the living room.
I think the two fans and the fact that it's open on 2 out of 4 sides is enough to dissipate heat.

fedukeford

im not trying to hijack this thread, but i alwasy hear everyone talking about single ended, and double ended MH's, can someone please explain the difference?

T

tizzo

Oh that's cool Euphoria! I figured I'dshare one more option, but it seems you got it all planned out. Can't wait for pics!!
fedukeford, se and de are single ended (mogul type) halide bulbs and DE are double ended bulbs.

euphoria

Oh that's cool Euphoria! I figured I'dshare one more option, but it seems you got it all planned out. Can't wait for pics!!
fedukeford, se and de are single ended (mogul type) halide bulbs and DE are double ended bulbs.
TIZZO - that was the greatest explanation of DE and SE I've ever seen

So far I"ve done the aquascaping and put some raw shrimps in there so the cycle can start. I'm running a skimmer while it's cycling. Is that ok?
I bought some very porous, great shaped LR, but they don't have much coraline algae growth on them. I hope my MH's will help on this.

mudplayerx

Congratz on the new lights. Hamilton bulbs have some of the highest PAR ratings in the industry. I just bought some 15k replacement bubs and got them for only $55 each!
Anywayssss.... why don't you guys want to hang them from the ceiling? I hung my lights from the ceiling and I think they look awsome.

T

tizzo

My ceiling is cathedral, so they'd be hanging off of a 20 foot cable, LOL. That's MY reason.

euphoria

I dont want to hang it cuz like I said I dont want the gap between the fixture and the tank. When you sit the light will blind you as it shines down. Plus at nights I like to watch movies in the dark sometimes and i dont want the MH lights shining all over the room and on TV.
So i rather place them down and then put something around it so the light doesnt blind me

mudplayerx

Gotcha... my tank is in my bedroom so the bright light doesn't bother me because the timers turn them off before I hit the hay :joy:

payne66801

Originally Posted by EUPHORIA
I dont want to hang it cuz like I said I dont want the gap between the fixture and the tank. When you sit the light will blind you as it shines down. Plus at nights I like to watch movies in the dark sometimes and i dont want the MH lights shining all over the room and on TV.
So i rather place them down and then put something around it so the light doesnt blind me

Will this not heat the holy %^&* out of the water... If one was to do that they would have to have a chiller on the right.???

euphoria

Originally Posted by payne66801
Will this not heat the holy %^&* out of the water... If one was to do that they would have to have a chiller on the right.???
The lights will still sit about 8" from the water surface and the fans will still blow across, so I don't think heat will be a problem. I do have a chiller hooked up anyways.

matty0h_52

looks clean...a great idea for anyone who is worying about an eye soar of hanging pendants. How much light do you think is being wasted in the room because its not enclosed in a hood.