Just bought my son his first car

tangman99

My son is a happy guy today. I just bought him a 2000 Honda Prelude which is what he has wanted forever. Man those things are hard to find that have not been modified or has 150,000 miles. It was a one owner by an adult and all factory with 59,000 miles. A lucky find no doubt.
Just had to share as I'm as happy for him as he is!

tangman99

Originally posted by bigarn
Nice find! Yeah, they're real nice cars. Think it's going to stay stock much longer? :D

Don't even go there. The whole time he's grown up, I've had Trans Am's and now a Corvette and I drive them like I stole them. Sort of regretting that now, but I think he will be fine. He's already planning the stereo and 18" rims. This was a heck of find as it is completly bone stock right down to the factory AM/FM/CD radio. This is a picture of it. Not a very good quality photo but it is a sweet looking car.

larrynews

i bought my son a 97 monte carlo and he didn't want to work to pay for insurance so we sold it.....he lives with his mom and she said that playing high school baseball and soccer does'nt give him time to work...i love that he is playing sports but he could still find time to work 1 or 2 days a week in the summer and save his money...anyway ex-wives are another thread...

nflnutswif

Good luck and I hope you're a religeous man! Cause you're gonna find yourself praying everytime he leaves the house!
Talking as a mother with experience! If I could purchase a "brinks truck" I would! Forget what THEY want, All the more reason to show off! Please preach to him everytime he starts it up!
I know he's a happy boy, mine was too! Good luck!

tangman99

One good thing is he has some sweat equity tied up in it himself. His mom and I both matched what he saved to buy his first car. But to get this car I kicked in some extra. It was more than we had wanted to spend, but I could not let this car get away. It's in the garage now waiting for a tag.
He's also paying for his own insurance and gas. Nothing better to let him know that if he gets a speeding ticket that it's going to get very painful very fast.
Like any dad, I'm going to worry to about him and I know he is going to play with it some, but he really is a very cautious kid and I think he'll be a lot more cautious than I was when my dad bought me a firebird when I was 16. I was dragracing every weekend. I only found out a few years ago that my dad knew about all the time but never gave me any flack because he said he could not rightly discipline me for something he did. I don't know if I can be that way but I think about it a lot these days.

scoobydoo

Good luck Tang. I was going to say something about kids not appreciating anything these days because everything is given to them until I learned you made him pay for half the car and insurance and gas and speeding tickets. I'm sure he'll get one, everyone does, but he'll learn quickly. I suspect you also taught him other things such as respect and honesty will turn into a respectable young man. In the meantime, taking the keys away can be a great attitude adjustment. :D

tangman99

He's already had the law laid down to him. He makes almost straight A's so he had to get a job first to prove he could still keep his grades up. He did that so he earned the car. If the grades drop, the car stays parked. We have a great relationship and a very firm understanding in that he knows I'm a man of my word and if I say it, it will come to light if necessary. He also has to keep $500 cash in reserves for repairs and to make sure he can meet his insurance obligations if he falls short one month.

nflnutswif

Ditto, you're my hero dad!
I still enforce the rule with my (daughter) No talking on the cell in the car, no friends for 6 more months, and NO BOOM BOX distractions! And a definate curfew.
Now keep in mind she also is good student, works 30 hours a week, and pays her insurance and gas. . .She is on her 3rd car in a year! 2 wrecks. lost her convertable mustang and chevy blazer!
now she drives a 83 chevy celebrity, 80K new tires new brakes, great condition, insurance jumped from $160 full coverage mo. to $170 mo. (liability only)!
If she wrecks it, she loses it!
My older son is another whole story! He's lucky to be alive!
Like I said in an earlier post,
Remind your son: NEVER DRIVE FASTER THAN YOUR GUARDIAN ANGEL CAN FLY!

liontamer

U bought yer son a car...way to go. I wish all parents would just go ahead and buy their children everything for them. Then theyd never learn anything about indepence. I assume ur also paying for the insurance and gas?

fishguy_40

read the posts above liontamer... seriously, youre like the customers i support. too lazy, always looking for a hand holding session.

tangman99

Originally posted by Liontamer
U bought yer son a car...way to go. I wish all parents would just go ahead and buy their children everything for them. Then theyd never learn anything about indepence. I assume ur also paying for the insurance and gas?

Yeah read the GD post Liontamer. But I'll do like everyone else on this board and just ignore you because your not worth the attention. You used to seem pretty cool, but evidently something has changed. Too bad.

nw2sltfsh

I think it is awsome that you bought your kid a car! It provides everyone with independence - you dont have to drive him around or let him use your car and he can have the freedom to get where he needs to.
My father in law bought my hubby his first car at 16 - told him the car was his free and clear no strings attached - But the tires belonged to my father-in-law so whenever he got in trouble or did something stupid His father would take his tires.
That was the first and last thing my Husband ever had given to him by his family - and the stupid comment above about Children not knowing value because someone buys them a car, it just shows maturity level. As a parent I would rather purchase a safe reliable car for my child then have the kid buy the first thing they can afford that may be a death trap.
Only comment for rude statements like that expressed above is ..... Jealous much??

tangman99

Originally posted by fishkiller
:rolleyes: always kinda seemed like a tool to me.....

Would that tool be a proctoscope?

tangman99

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm just happy for my son. We've talked about this day for a long time and he has lived up to every expectation that I asked from him to have his own car. I've never forgotten the day 24 years ago when my dad handed me the keys to a 1973 Firebird that bought for me. It never hurt me any and most people think I've done pretty good for myself as I've bought everything else I've ever owned.