Just got an Orange spotted filefish

seanothon

I know what you are going to say... BUT it was already eating at the store. It munches down on frozen brine shrimp. It looks great. Not skinny, beautiful color. I am just wondering if anyone has any advice as to where to go from here. It is my first and only fish in my new show 55 sump and seems to be doing fine. Do you think I need to supplement the food? Soak it in vitamins, etc?

btldreef

Please post some pictures.

I recently lost mine because it got scared when I placed my hand in the tank to kill some aiptasia, swam into a rock and broke it's beak. I'm still heartbroken over the loss of that fish. I spent months getting it healthy.

Get it eating something other than brine shrimp. You really need to get it to eat mysis or it's not going to be healthy.

Have you read up on these fish? They're not easy even if they're already converted. IMO, a new tank is not a good place for this fish, so keep an eye on parameters. They need to be fed small amounts multiple times throughout the day and the water quality needs to stay pristine at the same time, any deviation from this can cause the fish to stop eating. And yes, add vitamins to its food.

I had mine in a 14G and had to do 2 cup water changes daily.

seanothon

Just picked up the other one as well as some Formula One. Both are still eating great and I hope the company will keep their spirits up.
From what I have researched it appears to be a male and female so we will see where this goes!

btldreef

I would recommend Mysis shrimp and some more fatty foods such as shaved salmon just to put some more meat on his bones. Lucky to find one eating frozen! I'm having a hell of a time with my two newest ones.

seanothon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/379644/just-got-an-orange-spotted-filefish#post_3315594
I would recommend Mysis shrimp and some more fatty foods such as shaved salmon just to put some more meat on his bones. Lucky to find one eating frozen! I'm having a hell of a time with my two newest ones.
I know, right. I just had to get it when i saw it eating in the store. I plan on geting some mysis tomorrow. doesn't look like the zoe is enriching the brine enough

seanothon

So, he has no problem with the mysis and is eating it up. How long would you think it would take the fish to fatten up? Do you think there is any chance that internal parasites could be at play here?

S

saxman

Fattening-up a malnourished OSFF takes awhile, so be patient. We're talking about having to rebuild the muscles in the fish as well as keeping its belly full.

smoothie

Look into the nutrimar fish eggs as well as googling Matt Pederson. He used gel based foods pressed into coral skeletons to entice them to eat other foods. As with any try to vary the diet as much as possible. Good luck

seanothon

Mine has no problem trying different types of foods. It's now eating spectrum pellets. Any ideas on something to supplement the pellets? They already seems pretty nutritious :
Ingredients
Whole Antarctic krill meal, whole herring meal, whole wheat flour, algae meal, soybean isolate, beta carotene, spirulina, garlic, vegetable and fruit extract (spinach, broccoli, red pepper, zucchini, tomato, pea, red and green cabbage, apple, apricot, mango, kiwi, papaya, peach, pear), vitamin a acetate, d-activated animal sterol (D3), vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine, DL alphatocophero (E), riboflavin supplement, folic acid, niacin, biotin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydro-chloride, l-ascorby-2-polyphosphate (stable C), ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, cobalt sulfate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, choline chloride.

[hr]
Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein (min.) 48.0%, Crude Fat (min.) 5.0%, Crude Fiber (max.) 4.0%, Moisture (max.) 10.0%, Ash (max.) 8%, Vit A (min.) 8000 IU/kg, Vit D (min.) 2500 IU/kg, Vit E (min.) 200 IU/kg.