Just got my ray!

delaharsha

they told me a teacup ray from mexico but I cant find any info on teacups other then freshwater???
anyone help id this guy?

el guapo

I hate to be the barer of bad news but your going to run in to problems .
From what I can see your substrate is not going to be good for the ray . Unless it is super fine sand with NO Rocks, pieces of shell or crushed coral your in trouble . It looks to me as if there are small rocks and shells . This is going to cause abrasions on the ray and these will get infected and the ray will become sick .

bioneck47

Originally Posted by EL GUAPO
http:///forum/post/2841963
I hate to be the barer of bad news but your going to run in to problems .
From what I can see your substrate is not going to be good for the ray . Unless it is super fine sand with NO Rocks, pieces of shell or crushed coral your in trouble . It looks to me as if there are small rocks and shells . This is going to cause abrasions on the ray and these will get infected and the ray will become sick .
+1 Your tank is a horrible environment for the ray and I can guarantee you that it won't survive long. I'm really not trying to be rude but I wish you would have done more research before you got it.

subielover

Originally Posted by bioneck47
http:///forum/post/2842049
+1 Your tank is a horrible environment for the ray and I can guarantee you that it won't survive long. I'm really not trying to be rude but I wish you would have done more research before you got it.
+1

crimzy

Congratulations on your ray. Unfortunately I do have to agree with the other posters in that you should not have a ray in a tank with crushed coral substrate. The ray appears to be a yellow or Cali ray to me. You probably want to get a definitive answer because if it is a Cali ray then you'll want to keep your aquarium temperature a bit cooler than the average tank (about 70-74 degrees). If you post some more pics then you may get a better answer.
Can you let us know how big the tank is and what tankmates you have or plan with this ray? Also, can I see a full tank shot? Hopefully, if you can work out the kinks, you can keep this one healthy for a loong time.
IMO, one of the coolest fish in the aquarium trade. And if done right, an animal that can thrive in the right aquarium. Congrats.

mboswell1982

its looking like his tank is either his 20H, or the new acrylic 4'x4'x12"H tank, but, i have yet to see any kind of FTS's from this guy, so i dont know

nigerbang

a ray with lots of rock in a 20 gallon tank....waaay more research should have been done before the purchase..not your ray..