Just Wondering How Many Of You....

M

mike&jess09

have fresh water tanks also? We have a 110 gallon fresh with 2 red bay snooks and, 2 leporanious, 2 unknown chiclids, 1 huge algea eater, 2-4 line cats and a 55 gallon chiclid tank.

pezenfuego

When I was 12 had a fw tank of 30 gallons. I had an angel and about ten million guppies. I would sell and raise them. It worked pretty well. I would be able to make just enough money to buy filters and fish food. Then I sold it and started sw...
I hear about people who have been doing fresh water for 10+ years and claim to be experts. I always wonder why the heck they never started saltwater. This is the best hobby ever. I used to absolutely love freshwater and now compared to saltwater, it is nothing to me.

meowzer

I currently have 3...1 55g with miscellaneous tropical fish, a 46g and a 16g w/african cichlids.
I have had my FW tanks for a long time...to answer PEZ....SW is not readily available to me here in OK....so I did FW cause I COULD...LOL

small triggers

When i was like 10,, i had a gumball tank, (YIPPEEE) and yeah,, now i have pretty fish :x I would have started saltwater if i lived in antarctica,, there is always UPS

mantisman51

I have a 55g community tank-mollies, tetras, etc; a 55g Jack Dempsey with a 13" male and 10" female breeding pair; A 29g with a couple parrot fish; a 10g that was for my hatchling koi that I am going to make into a nano-reef; a 270g pond with asstd koi/shubunkin. The reason many do not go into SW is cost and labor. My SW tanks are 4x as labor intensive and more than 10x as expensive as my FW tanks/stock.

M

mike&jess09

oh yes we also have a well about 100 gallon pond with some pond comets, and a whole lot of tadpoles.......:)

meowzer

The reason many do not go into SW is cost and labor. My SW tanks are 4x as labor intensive and more than 10x as expensive as my FW tanks/stock.
THAT TOO!!!!!...BUT...I had no clue SW was so much more costly and time consuming until I really started it.

small triggers

BUT ohh so much more colorful,,,,,
though when we build our house I am going to have a koi pond in the back yard (a very deep pond here so the herons/racoons dont steal them)

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3028344
THAT TOO!!!!!...BUT...I had no clue SW was so much more costly and time consuming until I really started it.
You would not believe how many people told me to stick to Freshwater. They said that I wasn't mature enough to do it and that I would make too many mistakes, and that I couldn't afford a big enough tank to start with, and etc. That was a long time ago and I'm glad I didn't listen to anybody. Granted I'm broke because I didn't, but this is the best hobby ever.

meowzer

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/3028348
You would not believe how many people told me to stick to Freshwater. They said that I wasn't mature enough to do it and that I would make too many mistakes, and that I couldn't afford a big enough tank to start with, and etc. That was a long time ago and I'm glad I didn't listen to anybody. Granted I'm broke because I didn't, but this is the best hobby ever.
YES...it is a great hobby...I'm mature...lol.....and I have made mistakes...it's all a part of the learning process...

stanlalee

I started with freshwater fish growing up. First stuff like tetra's, mollies, swordtales, angelfish ect. Then from about middle school I kept just about every common south american cichild you could imagine and bred several convict and fire mouth pairs. they were worse than damsels. then I moved to african cichilds breifly but never got into em because I was so much more familiar with south american. had a few gars and pikefish, catfish ect as well. I didn't switch to saltwater until my last few years of college mid 90's. My set up was jus as recommended. a 30g (same size I have now lol), underground filter, crushed coral and a hagen aquaclear 402 (now called model 50) that still worked just fine up 2007 when my tank broke and I stopped using it. that 30g at one point or another had so many fish that should have never been in a 30g its rediculous (all small specimens that look like they'd fit). I'm talking picasso trigger, lunare wrasse, hippo and yellow tang (not all at once). whatever looked good lol. Lava rock. never head of liverock or skimming and neither did any pet stores.
what really drew me to saltwater tanks is the water clarity is just better than freshwater regardless of how bad or good water quality actually is. that and common cheap saltwater fish like royal grammas and clowns would be world class beauties by freshwater standards.

hammerhed7

I still keep a 38 freshwater community tank in my sons bedroom. We take care of it together, and it kind of reminds me where I started in this hobby. Actually I like it as much as my reef, and aggressive tanks.

I've kept freshwater for as long as I can remember. I still have my 180 gal discus tank. They are such beautiful fish. I was always told saltwater was too hard and alot of work. It was the guy at my lfs that gave me books to read and encouraged me to give it a try. He told me if I could raise discus I could definately do salt. He was right. I really wish I would have started this hobby a long time ago.

M

mike&jess09

Originally Posted by my obsession
http:///forum/post/3029004
I've kept freshwater for as long as I can remember. I still have my 180 gal discus tank. They are such beautiful fish. I was always told saltwater was too hard and alot of work. It was the guy at my lfs that gave me books to read and encouraged me to give it a try. He told me if I could raise discus I could definately do salt. He was right. I really wish I would have started this hobby a long time ago.
this to was told to us, and so far it is not bad at all.......BTW i love discus

mr-toad

I have a 55 fresh in the bedroom with a 1 angel, 2 little catfish, 5 neons, and who knows how many sword tails now. It was going to be brackish but just never made it there.

M

mike&jess09

Love to hear about all the happy fish lovers, weather it be fresh or salt

flyguy91318

So far 55 gal salt, another 55 gal fw with cichlids and another 20 gal in the bedroom with cichlids. But we are thinking at some point getting another bigger tank for SW and getting rid of the 55 FW

kittenboo

I have a 120 gal Chiclid tank with about 175lbs of lace rock. Then I have 2 other chiclid tanks, one a 10 gal and the other a 5 gal. They hold the babies. And then I had a 46 gal sw but now have a 120 gal sw. If I had my way I would have tanks everywhere!!! But the damn cleaning kills me.
LOL