Juvenile Percula Care

nygel

I recently got a true percula juvenile and was wondering if I should know anything specific. Its probably a half an inch or so, the back stripe hasnt appeared yet. I took out my clown goby cuz it scared it out of the tank almost so I have my clown goby in a jar. (dunno what to do with it yet) Also, could I put a mature true perc. in there with it? Or would this be a problem? I heard you should feed the juve's alot.... true?
ok, thanks.

bang guy

If it were me I would spot feed it a couple times a day. For 1/2" Clownfish I'd feed chopped up Mysis Shrimp. It will grow fast.
A mature Percula will get along fine with a 1/2" Perc. The mature fish may ignore it or chase it once in a while but it's not going to hurt it. My guess is that it will quickly bond with it and protect it from the Clown Goby ;)

nygel

thanks, I was hoping you would answer! I got rid of the clown goby btw(friend took it.) Is it bad if its already hosting something? (frogspawn) I didn't know if it was so small that this could hurt it or not. thanks again.

nygel

Mine is already hosting in my frogspawn, but I thought frogspawns have a tiny tiny sting to them,but didnt know if that sting was more dangerous to a younger specimen.

bang guy

Originally Posted by larryndana
will they host at any age?
This is a very young Ocellaris in a 1/2" Tulip Anemone. In the wild young Clownfish must find a host or they are quickly eaten. An adult pair of Clownfish will normally ignore small immature Clowns and allow them to live with them until they mature.

bang guy

This picture depicts what I was discussing. Here's a mated pair of Ocellaris and about a dozen immature Clownfish. The Clownfish were ejected from the Anemone one by one as they matured.

nygel

I couldn't get a pic of it hosting. But I got some pics to share. The frogspawn is usually a good 2-3x that size, but the clown has been bothering it alot.