juvenile starfish survivability?

one lunger

I have discovered a tiny starfish, maybe the size of the end of a #2 pencil eraser, clinging to the glass after a coral purchase. Does it have any chance of survival? I am aware of the feeding habits of the adults but have no idea of what it may eat at this size. It is of the "chocolate chip" starfish body configuration.

jerth6932

And now I reccomend you get them out. I did not and they re every where in my 24 gallon. They don't hurt any thing 99% of time but are just annoying.

jerth6932

Actually they are beneficial to your tank since they eat algae and waste....so UNLESS you see thousands.....LOL...I'd leave them......you can always pick a few out here and there later

I knew some one would say that! Do you have them meo? They multiply quick, and stay on the glass so they block (even though small, their numbers get large quick) your view. I DO NOT Like them (hence the reason I said they don't hurt anything and are just annoying), so any one that wants them can take them from me. The only benifit I have found for them is they make good anemone food, when knocked off in to the nem.:evil:

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerth6932 http:///forum/thread/385520/juvenile-starfish-survivability#post_3381450
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/thread/385520/juvenile-starfish-survivability#post_3381449
Actually they are beneficial to your tank since they eat algae and waste....so UNLESS you see thousands.....LOL...I'd leave them......you can always pick a few out here and there later
I knew some one would say that! Do you have them meo? They multiply quick, and stay on the glass so they block (even though small, their numbers get large quick) your view. I DO NOT Like them (hence the reason I said they don't hurt anything and are just annoying), so any one that wants them can take them from me. The only benifit I have found for them is they make good anemone food, when knocked off in to the nem.

LOL...Yes I do...I have 5 SW tanks and each one has some.....One thing to remember that is VERY important.....if there is a LOT of excess nutrients they will multiply faster.....so if you are finding you have an abundance of them....look into your feeding habits.....There have been times I have spent a few nights picking them out of the 225G....I do feed quite a bit.....

jerth6932

Feeding isn't a problem for my 24, as I only feed it 3 times a week, very small amounts. I have tried to rid my tank of them 3 times.... I quit..... Yep I'm a quitter, they hide too good (maybe even smarter then me.... I said it so you guys wouldn't just think it.....
) That and when I'm too lazy to feed the nem silversides, I just knock as many as I can in to the it for a feeding!

btldreef

I have a ton in my 155. They can get annoying and out of hand. I have two pairs of harlequin shrimp in my tank to control them.