Juvie Mombassa.

cranberry

We're growing this one up for a friend so he'll be a resident for a few months while I train and condition him. You can't tell in the pic, but he's a little guy. They have such spunk at this age!
Let's see if the picture comes up, shall we?

Took 3 attempts.....Grrrrr.

al&burke

Crannberry - You and your husband take awesome pictures, is this a dwarf variety. Everytime I see these pictures of lionfish I want one more.
I just went on your site - medium sized.
Would a larger wrasse go with a lion or would the wrasse pester the lion.

al&burke

Sorry Cranberry I thought I was on my thread - thanks I would really appreciate some input, your fish are so beautiful I spent an hour last night on your site, my 9 year old wants a lion fish really bad

scott t

Wow Beautiful fish.. I think I am starting to love Lion fish. I know now what I am going to do with the 55 gal tank that i have.. lol ... Already starting to research my next project after the 75 gal is up and running.. LOL Meowzer you did tell me that SWF tanks are just like potato chips you just cant have one..
Renee thank you for sharing those beautiful fish...

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott T http:///forum/thread/383506/juvie-mombassa#post_3354716
Wow Beautiful fish.. I think I am starting to love Lion fish. I know now what I am going to do with the 55 gal tank that i have.. lol ... Already starting to research my next project after the 75 gal is up and running.. LOL Meowzer you did tell me that SWF tanks are just like potato chips you just cant have one..
LOl...YUP....I told you Scott......you will end up with more then 1....haha....there are so many beautiful fish out there.....and they can not go together....sooooooo that mean MULTIPLES
WOOOHOOOOO....we all love multiples don;t we

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/383506/juvie-mombassa#post_3354724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott T
http:///forum/thread/383506/juvie-mombassa#post_3354716
LOl...YUP....I told you Scott......you will end up with more then 1....haha....there are so many beautiful fish out there.....and they can not go together....sooooooo that mean MULTIPLES
WOOOHOOOOO....we all love multiples don;t we
Yes I am starting to see that, but to be honest I have looked at the lion fish many time, and wanted to get one. I knew that I could not do it in the tank that I want to do with some of the fish so I just put it on the back burner, but now am thinking about it more and more now that I am so close to getting the 75 gal running. So, you may see me having a lion tank too. lol

S

saxman

As for larger wrasses...altho Thalassoma sp. SEEM like they'd make good tankmates for lions, they're really boisterous and once they mature, I've seen them get plain nasty. In fact, IME I kept a banana wrasse (T. lutescens) and an adult fuzzy dwarf that was bullied to the point of starvation (the fish never turned around even after I 86'd the wrasse for bad behavior). The wrasse was already on thin ice, and the lion clinched it for me.
As for some of the other larger genera, such as Coris, Halichores, etc., I'd use caution and add the wrasse after the lion is well-established. Additionally, a large setup would go a long way in avoiding conflict as wrasses are very "busy" swimmers.