KC 20 gallon reef build

kclester

Ok after starting a reef tank in 2007 i have learned alot about reef tanks so im starting another. I took down the 29 gallon that i use to have after moving. Now that i have the time im starting a new 20 gallon reef build. I currently have current usa pc lights that i am going to replace with a 120w viper HQI. I have around 25-30 pounds of LR that has been cycleing in a tub for about 2 weeks. I just purchased all the sand that im going to need and got a 160 gallon's worth of instant ocean sea salt. The problem that im runing into now that i had in the past was GOOD water. I did use fresh spring water in the past. This time i WANT to use r/o water. i'm going to order r/o machine when i order the viper HQI i will make this order after i get the tank up and cycleing. Until then where should i get my r/o water i was thinking maybe wal-mart because they do have a r/o water machine. The LFS in my area really sucks and dont have anything so thats not an option. But i really hope everyone enjoys and i hope everyone will reply with all the info possible

geoj

I used distilled for years and a purified water store.
I never used a vending machine because I don’t think they are maintained.

kclester

ok so you have used distilled tap water before ? I just need some good water to get me started before i purchase my R/O and MY LIGHTS because im going to order both at the same time

kclester

the only that i know of is wal-mart.......ill check and see if they may have a chart for each time the filters was replaced at my local wal-mart.............but i looked up this....................................... Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter™
An easy-to-use, single-cartridge tap water filtration system that removes impurities from tap water, making perfect, deionized aquarium water. Filter resin changes color when it's time to replace cartridge. Used cartridge can be replaced without tools in minutes. Comes fully assembled and attaches to any faucet in seconds. Includes 4 oz. bottles of Electro-Right and pH Adjuster to treat the filtered water, faucet adapter and tubing. For freshwater, saltwater, African cichlid or community aquariums. One unit in box.............whats the thaught on this it had great reviews

geoj

Originally Posted by kclester
http:///forum/post/3286727
the only that i know of is wal-mart.......ill check and see if they may have a chart for each time the filters was replaced at my local wal-mart.............but i looked up this....................................... Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter™
An easy-to-use, single-cartridge tap water filtration system that removes impurities from tap water, making perfect, deionized aquarium water. Filter resin changes color when it's time to replace cartridge. Used cartridge can be replaced without tools in minutes. Comes fully assembled and attaches to any faucet in seconds. Includes 4 oz. bottles of Electro-Right and pH Adjuster to treat the filtered water, faucet adapter and tubing. For freshwater, saltwater, African cichlid or community aquariums. One unit in box.............whats the thaught on this it had great reviews
Na on the API filter, I would just use distilled bottled water about a buck a gal for now and when you go and get your water filter get a good ro/di

kclester

ok i got my water today........im going to start mixing the saltwater tomorrow night.............but in the mean time does anyone have any ideas on a diy refugium

kclester

ill also get some pics of everything tomorrw night when i start mixing the water.........i currently have my LR cycleing in a tub ill get pics of everyhting to share with you guys 2morrow night

kclester

water is mixing as we speak i got it right at 1.025 im useing instant ocean salt mix so ill update 2morrow night with any changes i might make

kclester

i know not alot of people are following this build but i did get the rock and sand added tonight........maybe once i finally get some pics uploaded some people will start to view and comment.......i work from 10 to 10 every weekday so hopefully 2morrow night or saturday ill get some pics uploaded........ok i know for sure that im going to order 150w viper HQI but i needs some help with a refugium......i currently have HOB filter but i need and want a fuge or sump.......is there any way of making a fuge with a couple of maxi jet 1200's and maybe a 5 gallon tank ?

kclester

Or any ides on any kind of fuge i could possibly build pretty cheap......anything that does NOT require me to drill my tank

kclester

ok i have a 1.5 gallon beta tank laying around the house it would be perfecte fuge.....all i plan on haveing in the fuge is sand and chaeto........can someone help me with getting this rigged up some how ? I do not want to drill the display but i would consider drilling the beta tank if needed. i just got my display setup so i really want to get this fuge working asap.......and it needs to be so that if my power goes out or something my house doesnt get flooded

posiden

I am sorry, I have to go for the night.
I will try and help out some more tomorrow. There is a PVC overflow your can build yourself, or you can buy an overflow and run the plumbing to a sump or fuge. Your choice. The maxi jets will be best suited for flow IMO. Though I have seen folks use a maxi for a return pump.
Are you looking for this too set beside, under, or over the DT?

kclester

beside over or under it really doesnt matter to me i just need to get the 1.5 gallon fuge running asap just whatever would be the easiest way to go......its just going to be to store some chaeto algea........so what ever would be the easiet....most simple....cheapest way.........so throw out ideas and we will go from there and thank you very much

posiden

As GeoJ mentioned, using a HOB as a fug works well.
If that's not for you, is your 1.5 gallon tank glass or acrylic? The simplest way is to mount it so its water level is higher then your DT is. By drilling a hole up toward the top of the 1.5 gallon tank, you can place a bulkhead fitting and let it drain back into the DT. You would only need one of the maxi pumps you have. Of course it will need its own light for the macro. You could also drill the bottom and install a stand pipe so it will drain into the DT. This way you could use a shelf up above the tank instead of it sitting beside it.
You could put all your stuff in a rubber made tote so it can continue to do its thing. Then build the tank into an all in one unit. Its easy really.

kclester

the tank that i plan on useing is one of those beta tanks that you would like get from wal-mart or somewhere its 1.5 gallons and has its own lighting........would 1 maxi-jet 1200 be strong enough to get water to the fuge.......im really a noob to this and dont really know how to get the water.....UP.......to the fuge from the DT im useing a 12200 maxijet but how do i auctually get the water to go up any help would be great

posiden

Originally Posted by kclester
http:///forum/post/3288576
the tank that i plan on useing is one of those beta tanks that you would like get from wal-mart or somewhere its 1.5 gallons and has its own lighting........would 1 maxi-jet 1200 be strong enough to get water to the fuge.......im really a noob to this and dont really know how to get the water.....UP.......to the fuge from the DT im useing a 12200 maxijet but how do i auctually get the water to go up any help would be great
That's the main reason I asked you how you wanted the two tanks too sit. The more head you place on a pump, the more you need to look at the pump. Head comes from size of the plumbing (restriction), number of bends and turns (also restriction), and the distance it needs to go up hill. So resistance and static pressure is what needs to be looked at. "IF" the tank is placed beside the DT just slightly higher, then the pump doesn't have to do much work. If however you want the fug to be under the DT or...... much higher then the DT, then the pump has to do more work. The kinda cool and bad thing about water is, no matter how many gallons of water we are talking about..............1 foot in depth is 1 foot in depth. So 1,000 gallons 1 foot deep, will impose the same static pressure as a 1 gallon 1 foot deep. The pressure for 1 foot is 1/2 PSI. Then you need to look at line size and the number of bends to determine that resistance.
So, in the end. I need to know how YOU want to do this to be able to tell you if a maxi is strong enough to do the job. My first instinct is YES, it is. The thing about a fug is to have some what of slow flow. A 20 gallon tank doesn't hold 20 gallons of water in the end. You need to look at displacement of the rock and sand. So, lets just say in the end you really have 15 gallons of water. 5-10 times turn over through a sump or fug gives you......75-150 GPH. A maxi 1200 gives 295 GPH max. That's without any head or restriction imposed on it. That's plenty if your not looking to go very high up out of the DT. IIRC the maxi can be hooked up using 5/8" tubing. So, 5/8" ID vinal tubing will work. I mentioned drilling the fug tank so the return doesn't have to go up and over the side of the fug. This will save you lots of headach in a power outage or extra pieces, like an aqua lifter pump to keep an external overflow working proper on the fug tank. Not to mention the cost of the external over flow, which I am not too sure will even fit your little tank. I'm not familiar with the tank you have.
In short, yes a maxi will do what you want it too. That is if you don't place the tank to far above or below the DT. If you don't want to drill the DT, then placing the small fug above the DT is the most easy route IMO.