Keeping a Mantis shrimp

kiefers

Thanks..... been home for some time now. Wish I could go again. Was in the first Bush campaign. What Branch were you in? HM1(Navy).

florida joe

Originally Posted by Kiefers
http:///forum/post/3243128
Thanks..... been home for some time now. Wish I could go again. Was in the first Bush campaign. What Branch were you in? HM1(Navy).
LRRP (long range recon) with the First Infantry (BIG RED ONE)
Vietnam 68,69

florida joe

well the last of my turbs is in Lola's burrow being thumped it seems that after she decided to throw out the first one and then later found a way to find the soft spot she has retained that knowledge

deejeff442

well i was having a good day finished a nice patio and walkway ,got paid in cash came home all happy.walked into my office with the fish tanks and heard a noise fimilliar .a hob filter making a noise like the water was too low.well looked around then took a couple steps my foot is all wet.my 30 gallon soon to be mantis tank split the seam at the bottom.luckily i had my garbage can under it and it collected at least 10 gallons of it.so i put the lr and sand in 5 gallon buckets.ran to walmart for silicone and resealed it.i am to pick up my mantis tomarrow.so in the morning i will refill the tank with water from my 250 gallon tank and i am mixing water as we speak.i will probably pick up the mantis saturday now.i put the biowheel back on my 55 qt.i guess my day was too good.

florida joe

Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/post/3243964
well i was having a good day finished a nice patio and walkway ,got paid in cash came home all happy.walked into my office with the fish tanks and heard a noise fimilliar .a hob filter making a noise like the water was too low.well looked around then took a couple steps my foot is all wet.my 30 gallon soon to be mantis tank split the seam at the bottom.luckily i had my garbage can under it and it collected at least 10 gallons of it.so i put the lr and sand in 5 gallon buckets.ran to walmart for silicone and resealed it.i am to pick up my mantis tomarrow.so in the morning i will refill the tank with water from my 250 gallon tank and i am mixing water as we speak.i will probably pick up the mantis saturday now.i put the biowheel back on my 55 qt.i guess my day was too good.
hang in there my friend this to shall pass. just so you know the most used phrase in my vocabulary is "doesn't anything ever go easy"

florida joe

My LFS got me a yellow tail damsel by mistake. I took the ¾ inch yellow tail anyway. So where do you think it took up residence. Yes this should be real interesting. I either have the worlds dumbest fish are the one with brass b...s

S

shrimpy brains

I have a friend who will speed right in front of the highway patrol station. When I stated this was foolish, he responded that they would never suspect anyone would speed right there!

Maybe this fish has the same line of thinking?!

florida joe

Originally Posted by Shrimpy Brains
http:///forum/post/3244388
I have a friend who will speed right in front of the highway patrol station. When I stated this was foolish, he responded that they would never suspect anyone would speed right there!

Maybe this fish has the same line of thinking?!

hiding in plain sight, maybe i have a genius fish

deejeff442

funny there is a town here with the police dept.on the service road of the thruway.they actually stand right in the police parking lot and shoot radar.
well got my tank back and running.the carpet is still a little wet.my fish supplier is missing in action so dont know whats up with the mantis.i think between his real job and the fish thing he bites off more than he can chew sometimes.if i dont hear from him i want to go get the mantis at the lfs.
hey joe as about the feeding stick you use.is it just a 1/8 inch dowel and does it have a point on the end?also if i get the bigger mantis how much bigger do you think the pvc has to be for the mantis.i might need to go get some 3 inch.

florida joe

You can go with the 3inch I guess. As far as the stick I tried chops sticks what you see in the pics is the

[hr]
end of a sea squirt BUT I was feeding the damsel and I noticed Lola looking active so I just placed a piece of krill in the tank. She came right out and went after it. I don’t know if the damsel presents had anything to do with it but I think it did I will now feed her that way it gives her a chance to go after food rather than me offering it to her

nwdyr

that pic is priceless!!!
I am afraid to put a fish in , my thought is , what if remmy (my mantis) gives chase...and the fish give him the slip..and remmy hits the glass instead of the fish!
You think that could happen? Lola is allot smaller then my guy , so you are prob. ok. Just the thought of it scares me

florida joe

Originally Posted by nwdyr
http:///forum/post/3244494
that pic is priceless!!!
I am afraid to put a fish in , my thought is , what if remmy (my mantis) gives chase...and the fish give him the slip..and remmy hits the glass instead of the fish!
You think that could happen? Lola is allot smaller then my guy , so you are prob. ok. Just the thought of it scares me

I think if that happened Remmy would have one hell of a headache.
really the fish would have to be up against the glass Remmy would have to go after it, the fish move exactly when he was going to strike he would have to not see the movement and strike the glass looooooooooooooooooooooooong odds.And then brake the glass

deejeff442

well my supplier called today .he didn't get my mantis because he couldn't make the minimum order amount.which is ok with me since i have been so busy with work and have my company in the big home show all next week.one thing i have learned in the 25+ years keeping saltwater is patience.
so wont be till next monday or tuesday.also good since i just refilled the tank yesterday from the spill.gotta live vicariously through joe for the next week i guess.but learning alot here the last few days about the mantis.
lately this site has been my only relax time.
well gotta go shower ,sleep and work again tomorrow .feast or famine in my work world.i am just so happy my company i kickin right now.i heard another one of my big competitors went under
might be why i am so busy.
lesson learned do great work and make money.lots of it.

florida joe

Hang in there my friend you have to strike while the iron is hot. and all good things come to those who wait, what ever the hell that means

florida joe

While feeding the damsel this morning (Frozen marine cuisine carnivorous formula) I decided to see what Lola would do with a small chunk of it. She went right after it and devoured it. She seemed uninterested in the smaller pieces. This gives me some diversification in the foods I introduce