KH very high,

btldreef

stop trusting your LFS so much, they really do not seem to be a reliable source of information for you. From what I can gather, you're just another way for them to pay their bills.

S

smartorl

No doubt. I have noticed that since a new store opened close to one of my favorites that has a larger selection and everyone is checking it out, my store has started pushing to make sales and has become increasingly "unintelligent" and often pushes things that are so far in left field it's sad.
I have watched my son get targeted. He's 11, and the lady, who I used to enjoy and pick her brain occasionally, trying to sell him on a trigger for his 40 breeder, a tank stocked with a pair of onxy clowns, and extensive inverts. HELLO.........

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///forum/thread/381393/kh-very-high/40#post_3322710
No doubt. I have noticed that since a new store opened close to one of my favorites that has a larger selection and everyone is checking it out, my store has started pushing to make sales and has become increasingly "unintelligent" and often pushes things that are so far in left field it's sad.
I have watched my son get targeted. He's 11, and the lady, who I used to enjoy and pick her brain occasionally, trying to sell him on a trigger for his 40 breeder, a tank stocked with a pair of onxy clowns, and extensive inverts. HELLO.........

That just angers me. I have actually b*tched out LFS workers for doing things like this.

antwon

I've seen the guy at my place do that :( so to recap use RO water and make sure the water is agitated across the surface right

geoj

Alkalinity is the total carbonate hardness. Or a reading of KH or dKH (degrees carbonate hardness). This is many different minerals that are alkaline(basic). This does not tell you how acidic or alkaline(basic) water is because it does not take into account the acidic things that neutralize the alkaline(basic) minerals. PH does tell you how acidic or alkaline(basic) the water is, but does not let you know why it is acidic or alkaline(basic) .

When we use the term pH we are talking about the amount of hydrogen ions, or whether it is acidic, neutral, or basic, from 0-14. Acidic is less than 7, Basic is more than 7. Older book will say alkaline instead of basic and this is how things get confusing.
The term Alkalinity is used to mean different things depending on how it is defined (It can mean basic or carbonate hardness). When we use Alk we mean the total amount of carbonate hardness. Carbonate hardness is an old term and I should say something like “The buffering substances like Carbonate, Bicarbonate, borate, hydroxide, silicate, and phosphate.” But who has the time for all that. These minerals resist the change in pH. This is why we commonly call them buffers. The proportions and amounts of these minerals affect the pH. In simple terms if you don’t have enough alkaline minerals in the correct proportions meaning the Alk is low, the pH will be low. If you are able to keep the Alk up where it should be, does not mean the pH will be where you want it to be, because there are acids that also affect pH.