kids and tanks

slick

Originally posted by broncofish
Abuse is a cycle and I enjoyed braking it.

Nobody said anything about abuse. I am speaking of a small swat on the butt. I am not saying that spanking is always the right way to handle the situation. But as long as your not beating the crap out of your child causing problems then I don't see the problem. I have seen so many children who don't get spanked that act like little devels when the parents aren't around. This is because they have nothing to worry about. I mean if the mom and dad aren't there then they don't think they have to listen to the other parents.
POSTED BY BRONCOFISH I find it hard for anybody to say"well I've seen this, and I've seen that" when odds are you have only seen it from the lower end because your working for the person holding the degree.
So basicly your saying that people without degrees arent as smart or as qualified to do something as a person with a degree? Do you understand that if you have money you can slide by in college and pass with d's. Just because someone dosen't have a degree dosen't mean they aren't smart. I have a 130 IQ but no degree why? Because I didn't know what I wanted to do for a living. So why spend 30K to get a degree. I have a friend that just got out of college with a BA and do you know where he is working? Menards. Know why? Just because you have a degree dosen't mean you get a good job.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by slick
I'm not saying your way is wrong but have you thought about some of the negative things that could happen from being raised this way?

Slick - when you ask this I am assuming you are asking if I have thought of all of the negative effects of not hitting my children? I have:
* Learning that violence is not OK
* Learning that it is not right for the bigger and stronger to physically harm those smaller then themselves
Seriously - if my only concern is whether or not they will be able to handle themselves in a school yard fight because of my parenting style then I think we'll be fine.
I can not think of one negative effect - sorry.

broncofish

Originally posted by slick
So basicly your saying that people without degrees arent as smart or as qualified to do something as a person with a degree? Do you understand that if you have money you can slide by in college and pass with d's.

Th following is way OT(just a warning)
I understand what you are saying Jerome, but that is why they have a GE degree, so you can at least have a degree, and if you decide on something definate later you can always go for a masters. I know there are brilliant people out there who don't have degrees, and I know there are complete upper crust idiots who are rich ended up going to yale getting C's and becoming president:D but I also know that this common blanket labeling of "well this dude has a PHD but it means nothing because I've know people with degrees that are fruit loops" is garbage. Also I don't find money or time to be an excuse, You know I'm poor, heck until people started buying refugiums from me I was thinking about giving up the hobby because The cost of school, kid, and a low military income(despite being promoted quick). I am managing to struggle through school despite this, and constant deployments. I know for example that Sammystingray is way smarter than I am, check out his wit, knowledge retention, and grammer. He's got smarts, does that mean when I get my degree I will be smarter than him, hell no, but it does mean that If I was ever his boss, I should recognize that, and value the heck out of his opinion.
(now back to the topic)
I agree to disagree with both sides, there are times when a little swat is OK, but it far more misused than used correctly.