kids want finding nemo tank

randall

I have a 55 gallon tank with a four inch yellow tang and two clown fishes. I recently added a blue tang, but quickly found out a 55 gallon tank cannot support two tangs. My kids were really disappointed because they want a tank like in Finding Nemo.
Does anyone have any suggestions for fish I can add without buying a larger tank?

lionfish28

You might be able to keep the yellow tang in the tank for a year or so but,the tang will get to big for your tank:yes:

lionfish28

one more thing....DONT GET THAT DAMSEL THAT WAS IN THE TANK IN "FINDING NEMO"!Damsels are just to mean and can kill your fish.

vickicj

I have one maroon clownfish and have been told that I can't have any more clowns, however I've read numerous posts from folks who seem to have no trouble keeping two or more clowns? Is it the maroon clown that has the problem or am I getting incorrect information? I have a 55 gal. tank; one cleaner shrimp, one coral beauty angelfish, one maroon clown, one yellow tail damsel, a sand sifting seastar, and a pinkspotted shrimp gobie. They all get along wonderfully; the angel & the clown are so sweet & social, and I really would like at least one more clown - is it possible? And if so, which kind of clown should I get?

bang guy

Originally posted by VickiCJ
I really would like at least one more clown - is it possible? And if so, which kind of clown should I get?

There's a slim chance that buying a baby Maroon will work out. There is and even slimmer chance that your maroon could pair with a Percula or an Ocellaris.
IMO it is not worth the risk. Maroons are difficult to pair and if they do not create a pair bond then the Maroon will just kill the other Clown.

vickicj

Bummer! Thanks for the info, guess I'll just stick with my Maroon, he really is quite a fun little guy on his own :)

T

tizzo

You can remind your children that "Dori" never actually resided in the tank itself. And as far as the yellow tang, well that's what happens to them when they're kept in a tank to small (BUBBLES...bubbles, bubbles, bubbles) I think he went mental. And as far as the Moorish Idol, well you shouldn't keep those either. Tell them to be happy with only Nemo, because that's all they will look at anyway. Every kid that sees my tank gets all excited when they have "found Nemo"...nobody ever notices all the other fish, and some of them WERE in the movie!!!

petem

I fell into the "Nemo" trap early on. I bought a Tomato clown (didnt have the Ocellaris variety), a yellow tang, a blue hippo tang, I also had a Kole tang (okay, get the Tang Police on me) 7 Damsels (which were fine) a snowflake eel. OOh, I put them all in together, (without QT) and presto! a major outbreak of Ich. Well, right off the bat, the Clown died after 3 days. then the BHT got Ich, then gave it to the Kole. Finally the Yellow tang succumbed. the only inhabitants that remained from all of those, were the snowflake, and One three striped Damsel. Needless to say, I learned my lesson the hard way. I know go slow. After dropping the salinity in the display tank, removing my LR, and Inverts, I cured the Yellow tang of Ich, ( he later died of something else)
I now have added a porcupine puffer. He spent a month in QT. Now I have a small Hummu Hummu Trigger, and a small Maculosous Angel in QT.
I told my kids, that we have to go slow, and we have to get fish that are easy to take care of. Although, I'm not too sure why I bought the Angel, I've heard they can be tough. But, We'll see what happens.

master 33

Yeah....whats really gonna make you people here sick is that one of my local stores sells "Nemo and Dori kits" which consist of a small percula and and a small blue regal tang in a damn 10 gallon nano cube!!! Makes me wanna puke. They have em set up right when you enter the door.
Heres a thread about nice fish that can be kept in 40-55 gallon tanks

chandler04

You can get Jaques the cleaner shrimp, the royal gramma (the Clean freak) Plus the crazy damsel (if yer willing to take a risk). A heniochus butterfly can be substituted for gill, and the yellow will be fine for a year. The puffer will b questionable, and it WILL eat the shrimp, MAYBE the royal gramma will get eaten as well. And, u could also put a loggerhead turtle in ther with no problems as well as a jellyfish
JK. :D

jsb

I told my son that the coral beaty was Dori, but he quickly corrected me, and told me the colors were all wrong. THose dang kids!:thinking: