Killed my aiptasia anemones with.....

dustintx

A basic surenge without a needle and squirted lemon juice in their mouths. They instantly turned blackish grey and died. So if anyone has a problem with them,do this,but only do a few at a time as the lemon juice will affect ph if u do too many at once. I had 6 and have killed 5 so far with lemon juice. The other is in an awkward spot on rock so I need to flip it over to get to him,doing that tomorrow.

btldreef

That'll work if the aiptasia is isolated. If it's near other coral, you could harm the coral with the lemon juice, be careful of that.

xandrew245x

I have had aiptasia for a while, but haven't been to concerned since its going to be a while before I have coral and they haven't spread. I left my lights off for about a week and a half, and the past two days I have had it on, none of the aiptasia seem to be coming back to life, so idk if I maybe accidently killed them:laughing:
If not, I already have joes juice to blast those suckers! :flame:

btldreef

They can live without light. I've even seen them live through copper treatments in QT's. They're evil, LOL

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrew245x http:///t/390965/killed-my-aiptasia-anemones-with#post_3465214
They didn't live through joes juice, hehe

+1 Joes juice is the best..HOWEVER...I would invest in some peppermint shrimp to make sure any little survivers are eaten before they can spore. I had 6 big ones in my horse tank, I would see one and the next day another would be noticed. I got them with joes juice, and on the same day added some peppermints...I haven't seen an aptasia since.,

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/390965/killed-my-aiptasia-anemones-with#post_3465304
+1 Joes juice is the best..HOWEVER...I would invest in some peppermint shrimp to make sure any little survivers are eaten before they can spore. I had 6 big ones in my horse tank, I would see one and the next day another would be noticed. I got them with joes juice, and on the same day added some peppermints...I haven't seen an aptasia since.,
Agreed!
That's the best way to attack them. Too bad my Yellow Corris Wrasse has acquired a taste for peppermint shrimp :-/

mr. limpid

I had peppermints until they ran out of aiptasia, then they dragged my only ricordea behind a rock. So that was the end to them, they were given to my friend down the street.

scrapman

my .02:
I've tried boiling water and lemon juice.
The only thing which works is AIPTASIA-X (Red Sea) IMO.
You have to tackle the issue soon before it gets out of hands. Then a regular maintenance takes care of the problem: NO MORE VISIBLE AIPTASIA!

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapman http:///t/390965/killed-my-aiptasia-anemones-with#post_3465415
my .02:
I've tried boiling water and lemon juice.
The only thing which works is AIPTASIA-X (Red Sea) IMO.
You have to tackle the issue soon before it gets out of hands. Then a regular maintenance takes care of the problem: NO MORE VISIBLE AIPTASIA!
Aiptasia X is the only thing besides the Majano Wand that's ever worked for me, and then the pep's to keep them gone (my system is just too big/complex to get to them all)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower
http:///t/390965/killed-my-aiptasia-anemones-with#post_3465360
LOL...You have issues with your fish.
Yes, yes I do. They hate me.

meowzer

Joe's Juice worked for me.....and then I bought the pickling lime, and I am happy to say it also has worked.....Like BTLD.....I also have peps, BUT there are a couple I just noticed in the 225G that the only way I would be able to get to is if I jumped in....LOL....SO I hope the peps get them

xandrew245x

Joes juice instantly made them dissapeer before my eyes, it was like magic, on my next livestock order I was going to get two peppermint shrimp for the exact reason :).

rickross23

Aiptasia X worked wonderful for me...I got my 120g tank used with loads and loads of colonies with Aiptasias. 75% died during transfer of homes. Rest are zapped or unviewable. Is it ok to keep them in a refuge or can there spores come through the return pump into my display?

P

patti w

i had a really bad apstasia problem last year. i mean like i was growing them on purpose! i could not keep up with the apstasia-X ($$) and was about to give up this 'hobby'. my last ditch effort worked. i took out some of the rock that didnt have anything that i could see growing on it, and let it stay out several days in the sun. that killed that. then a cpl weeks of water changes. and vooalah! not ONE bit of apstasia since. im guessing they florish in nitrates. its been 8 months now and i very happy with that outcome.