Killed red slime, got skimmer overflow.

jake0110

I put this slime remover in my tank, which seemed to get all the red out. The packaging warned that I may need to adjust my skimmer after adding this. I run it so that the maximum water flows out, reducing the bubbles, so I just shut it off for a week. I turned it back on and now it keeps bubbling up, as in the lower pics.
Any suggestions about how to get my skimmer working normally? The water flow rate out of the skimmer is as high as I can get it.

btwk12

thats how all my skimmer cups look like, i have never been able to get the thick stuff. i adjusted it for a long time and finally left it how it is, it still pulls dirty crap out i just thought it was supposed to be thicker. i know that didn't answer your question. sounds like i need the question answered also!! lol

burrito

ya me too :/ mine is alway watery idk why but i just think it crap water i thought it worked like that but idk

novahobbies

Did you do any water changes after letting the slime remover do its thing?
Typically skimmers will go into overdrive when you add chemicals like this to your tank. The comment "you may have to adjust your skimmer flow" is just their way of saying, "turn off your skimmer, this crap will make skimmers go nuts."
After you've added the product, you're supposed to do a 10% water change after 72 hours (or directions to that effect). This IMO is conservative. 20% water change at least, and you''re probably going to have to do 2 of them before your skimmer goes back to normal. The skimmer is in overdrive because of either the chemical itself, or the additional nutrients released by the die-off of all the cyanobacteria. Either way, the best cure is through water changes.

burrito

nah i do it every 3 month and why? how much do i have to do? and how many weeks or months? idk D: i been new to saltwaterfish idk whatto do i dont even have a test kit! i cant even grow coraline algae D:

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrito http:///forum/thread/382289/killed-red-slime-got-skimmer-overflow#post_3335927
nah i do it every 3 month and why? how much do i have to do? and how many weeks or months? idk D: i been new to saltwaterfish idk whatto do i dont even have a test kit! i cant even grow coraline algae D:

FOR EXAMPLE.....I do w/c's every other week, and about 15%
80% is ridiculous
AND GET A FREAKIN TEST KIT BURRITO
If you wnat to do SW, there are certainthings YOU HAVE to do

burrito

fine is red sea test kit good? i saw them selling at my lfs and plus i need a powerhead D:<!
okay im poor! okay! i only got 80$ and fine i will do 15% fo 3 week or 1 month okay? D:<! and plus i stil need my ro systemD:<! idk how to install it and idk which one to get o.e

meowzer

API is a brand.....not top of the line, BUT much better then red sea IMO.....especially for your basics.

burrito

hmmmmm okay but idk which one to choose D: :( Reef master or Saltwater Master? the saltwater dont have calcium reading but reef master dont have ph reading lol o.e

burrito

k thanks so you dont have a reef master how do you have corals in your tank without knowing your calicum level? becuase i have 2 coral (still alive) and 5 hermits and i think 2 white brittle star(barly come out)

scott t

I dont have corals, going to be setting up a 90 gal tank here soon.. But when I get corals I sure will have one..