Killer Nano Video of Mantis

toonascott

look at the poor little hermit crabs climbing to the highest point in tank. You can almost here them screaming "GET US OUT OF HERE YOU NUT JOB!!!!!"

toonascott

I also like this video very much. One of the little gems you can discover on the internet.
I have an office just dying for that setup. Looks like he built his live rock around the skimmer and outlet of the canister filter. Very clever. His lighting looks like it may be something you cannot get off the shelf. I think he fabricated that as well. The final piece of his equipment looks like some sort of ultraviolet sterilizer
assembly. Anyone help me out? I am going to build something similiar if it is last thing I do. I think he has a custom acrylic tank, as his mantis shrimp is a type of crusher mantis. They have potential to crack or chip the glass.

hamsmith

That is a cool video. The bad news is that he doesn't keep the tank anymore. He has a thread on Reef Central discussing the tank, the thread is in the Nano Tank section called Ninjafish's new cube diary. In the thread he discusses the equipment used. I skimmed that part but I think it is a custom glass tank and a cannister filter.

shiby1510

Yes loooking closer it looks like an eheim canister... and then possibly connected to the return of that is an ato.. not sure...
I see the return bulkhead in the bottom is there another one somewhere too?? Does he have his overflow drilled in the bottom aswell?

shiby1510

He actually does have the outake and intake right next to each other if you look very closely... He has the canister setup because you can use one like a sump/fuge but it still keeps everything closed loop.

shiby1510

Also the canister allows him to have the overflow in the bottom without the tank draining like a sump would do.

theappe

All i have to say is that the video was freaking awsome. That is one little bad setup. Everytime I see a mantis the hairs on the back of my neck stand up since I have pulled out three from my tank. BTW I thought that mantis' wherent reef safe?

my way

They are'nt considered reef safe because they will eat fish and some inverts. I'm kind of wondefing how those Hermits are surviving, but then again if he's well fed, he might not be intested in them.

mileto

wat a crazy video i was wondering throught the whole video were the canister inlet is amazind job of hiding everything looks very natural i also want to no wat that song was anyone

bonebrake

I think the light was a regular office desk lamp that you can put a 70 watt metal halide in of a higher Kelvin spectrum for nano reefs or pico reefs.

shiby1510

Actually that light was made for a halogen light and he ripped out the whole halogen unit and just retrofitted the 70w mh in the lamp... the reason he could do this was that he knew that the lamp would not melt from the heat of the 70w mh because it was made to house a halogen.