Lack of turbo snail, over feeding, or something in the water??

lil.guppy

I got rid of my huge turbo snail so that I could get a smaller one. Well I did not get around to it and didnt get another one for a couple weeks.
Since I got rid of him I have noticed a slow growth of this fuzzy cotton like algae on a few spots in the aquarium.
I was also feeding my fish alot during their ick outbreak which has cleared up i might add.
Or could it be something in my water?

jackri

I know without a massive CUC in my main tank I get a fuzz algae that grows in my tank... I do a pretty descent feeding though and try and keep a lot of flow everywhere but I would say a combo of excess nutrients and lack of a CUC.
and no.... it does not look cool if you have it.

V

vinnyraptor

did you get ick after you added the Powder blue? as for the fuzzy algae just clean it off and add a few turbos.

lil.guppy

No its not white its brown and the only way I can get it off is to scrape it with a blade.
No I got the ick after I added my yellow belly hippo tang, but they seem to be cured so far. (didnt use anything but extra food)
I cant really see too much of a difference since I added the turbo but then again its only been a few days since he has been in there.

V

vinnyraptor

im going through a mild ick thing here too... good luck!

renogaw

food won't cure ich...
but it will add excess nutrients and phosphates/nitrates which will cause the algae to grow

berrya

looks like algae. I had this in my tank, but we got it off using an old-school razor blade (remember when there was just one blade?) and some elbow grease. It will take 2-3 scrapings, and with good filtration it should clear up soon enough.