Lakers win NBA Championship and not ONE accolade?

bionicarm

Originally Posted by tank a holic
http:///forum/post/3066302
basketball is the only olympic sport that allows pro athletes to play
not complaining just sayin

besides why all the arguing about what is and isn't a sport

lets see the definition
Sport:
(n) an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

so how does that not cover nascar, basketball, football, golf, golf, badmitton, curling, rythmic gymnastics, chutes and ladders or hop scotch?

If you watch ESPN, they now call the World Series Of Poker a sport. It fits your definition of 'sport', and you know it has to take a lot of energy to shuffle those cards and do those fancy tricks they do with the chips.

bionicarm

not complaining just sayin %%
besides why all the arguing about what is and isn't a sport

lets see the definition
Sport:
(n) an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

so how does that not cover nascar, basketball, football, golf, golf, badmitton, curling, rythmic gymnastics, chutes and ladders or hop scotch?

Actually, they allow pros to play in tennis, beach volleyball, snowboarding, skiing, and probably several others that don't come to mind at this time...

reefraff

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3066316
If you watch ESPN, they now call the World Series Of Poker a sport. It fits your definition of 'sport', and you know it has to take a lot of energy to shuffle those cards and do those fancy tricks they do with the chips.

There are sports and there are athletic sports and athletics.
I consider most forms of auto racing to be an athletic sport. Drag racing is more about reaction times and feel so I wouldn't call it athletic. Most other forms of racing takes a lot of physical stamina. Wouldn't consider Poker, Curling or pool athletics but they are a sport. Gymnastics is athletics but I wouldn't consider it a sport.

locoyo386

http:///forum/post/3066276
If you don't think sitting in a car that can hit speeds over 170 MPH for almost 3 hours straight isn't physically demanding, you'll never understand what the true definition of 'sport' is.
Perhaps you could tell me what it is.
Badminton and Curling are Olympic events. You gonna claim those as sports as well? NO tehy are not.
When the last time the US Olympic Basketball team had college-level players on it? Oh that's right, that's the Olympics where they only got the Bronze. True, also do note that the rest of the world HAD their professional basketball players. Some that even played in the NBA, I gues when put that way bronze is not bad for a collegete team, HUH.
Well I do understand that sitting for 3 hours in a car thats is going 170 mph is demanding on the body. If a different dynamic was added to the racing of cars I might consider it a sport. That dynamic would be to allow collisions. That would definately would make it a sport. Just because something is demanding on the body it does not make it a sport, and just because it is not demanding does not make it a sport. I guess we are getting to what is the true defenition of "sport" is. That is hard to say, I do however think that basketball is a sport and NASCAR is not. If there was some sort of phycial interaction between the drivers, I might consider it a sport. Take weight lifting, it is a competion in the olympics, do I think it's a sport. NO!
There is a diference when dealing with competition or demand on the body. There are alot of things that are demanding on the body, does that make it a sport NO. Guys that work pouring concrete, it is very demanding on the body, is it a sport NO. Mothers laboring, is very demanding on the body (ask any mother) YES, does it make it a sport NO. I sometimes drive my car at 120 mph, does it make it a sport NO. People drag race does it makeit a sport, NO. Competition alone does not make it a sport, I can eat more hot dogs than you can, is it a sport, NO. TO me a "sport" is something that is competitve, demanding on the body and mind and provide some sort of physical interaction with the individual competitors. Golf, gymnastics, weight lifting, car driving, sprint racing, merathon racing, jabiling, etc. are not sports. It's merely a form of entertaiment or some type of competition, but NOT a sport.
My reference to the olympics was to illustrate that if there was a demand for people around the world, to get to gether and compte it ight have made it to the olympics. Basketball has not been part of the olympics since they started doing them. At some point down the line, there was such a demand from peole to include it, thus it is part of it now. Maybe some day NASCAR will have that demand and be included in the olympics. As of today, it has not had that demand, thus it is not part of a world wide competition.

bionicarm

Originally Posted by locoyo386
http:///forum/post/3066335
Well I do understand that sitting for 3 hours in a car thats is going 170 mph is demanding on the body. If a different dynamic was added to the racing of cars I might consider it a sport. That dynamic would be to allow collisions. That would definately would make it a sport. Just because something is demanding on the body it does not make it a sport, and just because it is not demanding does not make it a sport. I guess we are getting to what is the true defenition of "sport" is. That is hard to say, I do however think that basketball is a sport and NASCAR is not. If there was some sort of phycial interaction between the drivers, I might consider it a sport. Take weight lifting, it is a competion in the olympics, do I think it's a sport. NO!
There is a diference when dealing with competition or demand on the body. There are alot of things that are demanding on the body, does that make it a sport NO. Guys that work pouring concrete, it is very demanding on the body, is it a sport NO. Mothers laboring, is very demanding on the body (ask any mother) YES, does it make it a sport NO. I sometimes drive my car at 120 mph, does it make it a sport NO. People drag race does it makeit a sport, NO. Competition alone does not make it a sport, I can eat more hot dogs than you can, is it a sport, NO. TO me a "sport" is something that is competitve, demanding on the body and mind and provide some sort of physical interaction with the individual competitors. Golf, gymnastics, weight lifting, car driving, sprint racing, merathon racing, jabiling, etc. are not sports. It's merely a form of entertaiment or some type of competition, but NOT a sport.
My reference to the olympics was to illustrate that if there was a demand for people around the world, to get to gether and compte it ight have made it to the olympics. Basketball has not been part of the olympics since they started doing them. At some point down the line, there was such a demand from peole to include it, thus it is part of it now. Maybe some day NASCAR will have that demand and be included in the olympics. As of today, it has not had that demand, thus it is not part of a world wide competition.
Actually race card driving is a worlwide competition. NASCAR runs in the US and Mexico. IRL and Formula 1 run throughout the world. If you want to say NASCAR is a sport simply by saying all they need to do is include collisions, you need to watch it more often. Just turn on a Talladega or Daytona race, and you're sure to see a 'Big One' at least once every race.

locoyo386

http:///forum/post/3066777
Actually race card driving is a worlwide competition. NASCAR runs in the US and Mexico. IRL and Formula 1 run throughout the world. If you want to say NASCAR is a sport simply by saying all they need to do is include collisions, you need to watch it more often. Just turn on a Talladega or Daytona race, and you're sure to see a 'Big One' at least once every race.
The funny thing is that I love doing, but not so much watching. I can't sit no more than 15 minutes watching anything that I might enjoy doing. Yes, that includes racing cars.

kjr_trig

%
Seriously
You have to be kidding?!?!? An amateur cannot accept any money for their sport.....You think Track and Field athletes in the Olympics are not professional, skiing, Hockey, Soccer, Volleyball, Snowboarding, I could go on and on and on.

reefraff

The whole pro olympics thing was a result of the USOC and the governing bodies of the sports not wanting pro Athletes in.
I think most sports are now allowing US pros in the Olympics.

rebelprettyboy

DANG 1ST TIME SIGNING IN SINCE MARCH. THOUGHT IT WAS GONNA BE SOME LAKERS TALK BUT ALL I SEE IS NASCAR TALK. IM A BIG FAN OF BOTH, BUT COME ON SERIOUSLY NASCAR DOEST TAKE ANY PHYSICAL SHAPE AS MUCH AS BASKETBALL. BUT WHO CARES I ENJOY BOTH!!
NEWAYS CONGRATS TO MY LAKERS!! And the great one KOBE.
What does this do for Kobes Legacy? The guy is great and will be one of the best to play the game. I mean look what hes done in the past 2 yrs
No doubt hes still trailing Jordan by 2 rings. He will never quite be His Airness. He cant control a room like Jordan did no matter how hard he tries.
If that little stupid girl hadnt tried to file a ---- charge on him who knows where he would be right now? If you recall when that happened he was 23 I beleive maybe 24, peaking in his career and lost all his endorsements, a lot of fans etc. He went from the age 23-28 to just be another guy on the court that had amazing talent. Now that he has gotten older people are back on his n*ts.
You have to consider the guy in your top 5 all time.
In the past 2 yrs he hasnt missed a regular season game played 162-162, Played every playoff game. Didnt get an offseason break, won and starred on the Olympic gold medal team. Has won the league MVP, Finals MVP, and All Star MVP. Has got to the last 2 NBA Finals and won 1 title. Lead his team throughout the playoff with astounding records.
Kobe Bryant is a bball God now, and the only player I can put ahead of him right now is Micael Jordan. And id love to plead my case with anyone put agaisnt him.
And PLEASE STOP saying Lebron is better thatn Kobe. What has LeBron did that Kobe hasnt?
All that while hittin the 30 yr old marker.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by rebelprettyboy
http:///forum/post/3067544
You have to consider the guy in your top 5 all time.
Consider in the top 5? Sure. Is he? Not even close. He might
be in the top 10. I can for sure rattle off 2 better Lakers, Wilt and Kareem, and there's another Laker too, the debate of Shaq ahead of Kobe too.

rebelprettyboy

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3067556
Consider in the top 5? Sure. Is he? Not even close. He might
be in the top 10. I can for sure rattle off 2 better Lakers, Wilt and Kareem, and there's another Laker too, the debate of Shaq ahead of Kobe too.
Seriously Shaq?
I still havent found a guy that can take over at any given point like Kobe other than MJ.
Sure the stats are gonna show Kareem and Wilt averaging more points and boardS.. But what big men were they playing other than Russel? Walton lol?
BUt if were going by just lookin at stats than MJ isnt even the greatest to ever play the game

bionicarm

Originally Posted by rebelprettyboy
http:///forum/post/3067566
Seriously Shaq?
I still havent found a guy that can take over at any given point like Kobe other than MJ.
Sure the stats are gonna show Kareem and Wilt averaging more points and boardS.. But what big men were they playing other than Russel? Walton lol?
BUt if were going by just lookin at stats than MJ isnt even the greatest to ever play the game
The only reason Kobe is Kobe is because during his entire career, he was surrounded by a bunch of second-rate players. Not hard to build up your stats when you never give up the ball. The Lakers won this season because the cards fell in the right place.

reefraff

1. Wilt
2. Tie Magic/Larry
3. Jordan
4. Jabbar
5. Tie Kobe/Shaq/Dr. J./
Nobody has ever dominated the game like Wilt, nobody.
Johnson was a master court general and could take over a game filling what ever role was needed, guard, forward or even center. Bird could also take over a game and had a killer instinct like no other. He could always hit the big shot that was a dagger in the heart of the opposition.
Jordan is jordan. He took Dr. J's highlight reel and turned it into a routine game.
Jabbar was never dominant, just a half step better than anyone else and constant. A great player to have on a team with good talent but not someone who could take over a game by himself
I think Bryant has a chance to pull Jordan back to the the rest of the pack as far as greats go for those who never saw people like Wilt play the game or Bird and Magic in their prime. Another Championship and he separates himself from Shaq and the good doctor. If he matches Jordans rings I think he puts himself on the same plateau.

reefraff

http:///forum/post/3067626
The only reason Kobe is Kobe is because during his entire career, he was surrounded by a bunch of second-rate players. Not hard to build up your stats when you never give up the ball. The Lakers won this season because the cards fell in the right place.
Were Shaq, Derrick Fisher and Robert Horry "second rate players"?
You don't win championships with second rate players. Since Bryant came to the lakers in 97 they have made the finals 6 times, you don't do that without good playerS on the team.

squidward

Kobe proved again why he's the best and NOT lebron.
Winning without the lard shaq is great too. Now that lard can't say ---- about Kobe no more.
And umm yeah nascar sucks. "Just turn left"....anyone can do that. I'd rather watch women's tennis than that boring crap. You couldn't pay me to watch that redneck sport.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Squidward
http:///forum/post/3068626
Kobe proved again why he's the best and NOT lebron.
Winning without the lard shaq is great too. Now that lard can't say ---- about Kobe no more.
And umm yeah nascar sucks. "Just turn left"....anyone can do that. I'd rather watch women's tennis than that boring crap. You couldn't pay me to watch that redneck sport.
Obviously. With some race prizes reaching over $1million for the driver, that's why you never ever seen the same people winning. It's always just random dbag from the street because racing is so easy.

It's okay though, just because NASCAR drivers have more talent behind the wheel in just their big toe then you could personally ever muster, we don't have to tell anyone...
As for not being able to watch NASCAR or racing, I dunno. I guess some people just not have level 1700 ADHD and can stay focused for an extended period of time...

mantisman51

I haven't watched basketball since Jordan went to the Wizards. And I watched 15-30 minutes of NASCAR 3-4 times last season. But NASCAR fans, are you serious? Hard to drive a race car and physically demanding? I guess Tony Stewart "ain't" fat, he's a finely tuned athlete.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/3068662
I haven't watched basketball since Jordan went to the Wizards. And I watched 15-30 minutes of NASCAR 3-4 times last season. But NASCAR fans, are you serious? Hard to drive a race car and physically demanding? I guess Tony Stewart "ain't" fat, he's a finely tuned athlete.

Basic logid would tell you it's not easy. Anyone can play a game of basketball or football at the park. Anyone (almost) can drive a car on the highway. But at any professional level, racing, football, etc, of course it's not 'easy.' Sure you don't have to be a physical specimen like Deight Howard or Ray Lewis, but's it's a different kind of strength. A lot of it is mental, the sheer concentration alone is what breaks most people. It's like your typical non-QB football player trying to pass the SATs (I can say that because I played in HS).
Like I said earlier, unless you've actually had some time behind the wheel, you really have no idea. Comparing it to driving on the highway is lame at best.

mantisman51

You're right. Driving a 22 wheel, 92,000 # truck over snow and ice covered mountains with 5-8% grades and constant switchbacks is much easier than driving a car in lefthand circles. And a semi-obese "athlete", like Stewart proves nothing. You are the master of logic and clear thinking. We should all be in awe and reverence of the greatest athletes since the gladiators. Their prowess and skill is second to none. And none of us have ever done anything as technically challenging as driving in lefthand circles.