Laptop help :(

gemmy

What does it mean if your screen goes snowy (like the old TV's black n white snow)? My laptop would not do anything. Now it won't boot up or restore to an earlier point. What should I do?:flame:

meowzer

YIKES...wish I could help...how old is it?
brand? I am sure you have turned all power off.....and rebooted????
For the life of me I can not remember what key to hit to get it to start up in safe mode :(

gemmy

It is an asus that is a little over a year old. I have rebooted, tried going to safe mode, tried restoring to an earlier point, complete shutdown, took out the battery, and I don't know what else. I am using my recovery disks now. This bites. I'm already having a crappy week.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/386235/laptop-help#post_3391240
It is an asus that is a little over a year old. I have rebooted, tried going to safe mode, tried restoring to an earlier point, complete shutdown, took out the battery, and I don't know what else. I am using my recovery disks now. This bites. I'm already having a crappy week.
HMMMM.....so maybe this is the "Krista Syndrome" LOL
sorry...I know exactly what this feels like

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman51 http:///forum/thread/386235/laptop-help#post_3391264
Normally that means your motherboard is fried.
Didn't you see where I said that I am having a bad week??? This is not what I wanted to hear, but I know it is the reality. I have it at the geek squad in best buy, and will know my laptop's fate in about a week. The good news is the laptop is covered for hardware issues, but the bad news is that I think (I should say I know) I caused the damage and it won't be covered. My laptop was on a chair when I was working on my tank and my dog knocked the laptop to the floor. Then, some water splashed onto the laptop (the bottom part). It was a minimal amount and I cleaned it up, but it does not take much to damage these things.
So, I'm in the market for a new laptop, I guess.
What makes it worse is that I am going to Virginia on Sunday for a week. I need my laptop to finish my last week of my term for the college courses I'm taking online. I have everything for my courses on my laptop. This just adds to my week.
My week:
Monday: I accidentally flush a cell phone for work. It was in my back pocket, slipped out while I was mid flush. I had to call a plumber to fix it. Got reamed at work by the store manager for being careless and he threatened to write me up.
Tuesday: I tweaked my knee while playing with my dog. It swelled up a little and hurt like h***. I tore my acl in this knee a few years back and never followed through with the surgery.
Wednesday: There was a gas leak at my store, caused by a careless forklift driver. The driver was someone I brought to work in this store (I did not purposely bring him, he asked for a transfer and was approved). I was reamed by the store manager for bringing a careless forklift driver to this store.
Then, I had to call my DM about the gas leak. My DM thinks it is the appropriate time (during a crisis) to bring up how I have not been paid the compensation I was promised to come to this store I hate to work in. He tells me the compensation if I get it will be much less than what I was told. Pretty I took a pay cut to transfer.
Today: My laptop and I found out my niece ran away from home.
Just venting. I know it could be a lot worse, and I can't wait to start my vacation!

monsinour

Well, the geeks arent the people I would be trusting with the laptop. Before taking it there, I would have had you hook it up to an external monitor. This would better determine what was wrong. It shouldnt take the geeks a week to do this simple test. They should know by now what is wrong and what they are doing about it.
I like the laptop I am on. Its an HP and was only $350 at best buy. Has the Radeon HD 4500 video card in it so I can play some of the newer games. Best game that I can play on this laptop that is an el cheapo is Magika. Chock full of humor and excellent gameplay, cant really pass it up for $10. I suggest getting the addons for a total of $15. So worth it to see wizards swamping thought vietnam with machine guns casting spells.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/386235/laptop-help#post_3391290
Well, the geeks arent the people I would be trusting with the laptop. Before taking it there, I would have had you hook it up to an external monitor. This would better determine what was wrong. It shouldnt take the geeks a week to do this simple test. They should know by now what is wrong and what they are doing about it.
I like the laptop I am on. Its an HP and was only $350 at best buy. Has the Radeon HD 4500 video card in it so I can play some of the newer games. Best game that I can play on this laptop that is an el cheapo is Magika. Chock full of humor and excellent gameplay, cant really pass it up for $10. I suggest getting the addons for a total of $15. So worth it to see wizards swamping thought vietnam with machine guns casting spells.
I had one of the geek's stupid service plans and it's not costing me anything.....
I am never shopping at Best Buy ever again. I have had bad experiences at a couple of locations in different states and the service has been getting worse each and every time. I have at $30 in gift certificates and I won't use them. I will either get my new laptop online or HHGregg (I also refuse to purchase a laptop from Wal-Mart)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't get much worse then the BB Geek Sq. I took a pc over there once. It would not boot in to XP. After it sat there over the weekend, I went to pick it up since I found a real PC shop that would give me a diagnoses that day. They actually wanted to charge me for having my pc sit in their shop! It was still siting on the shelf where they left if when I dropped it, and had not even been brought to the back geek room.
I had a fit, and had to talk to the BB manager before I got my pc back (no charge). I got my pc back, fixed same day, via the local "Geek Guy" shop. lol

gemmy

They think my laptop has bad memory and they have to ship it out to get fixed. No laptop for 2-4 weeks.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///forum/thread/386235/laptop-help#post_3391523
Doesn't get much worse then the BB Geek Sq. I took a pc over there once. It would not boot in to XP. After it sat there over the weekend, I went to pick it up since I found a real PC shop that would give me a diagnoses that day. They actually wanted to charge me for having my pc sit in their shop! It was still siting on the shelf where they left if when I dropped it, and had not even been brought to the back geek room.
I had a fit, and had to talk to the BB manager before I got my pc back (no charge). I got my pc back, fixed same day, via the local "Geek Guy" shop. lol
I hate BBs Geek squad...They charge to "set up" your computer for you when you buy it. LOL...I told the guy no thanks, I can erase the advertisements and download a try it for 60 days free virus protection all by myself. I do like their prices on computers, I just don't want the geek squad "help" they offer.
My late husband used to build computers, and my brother is a geek squad guy for international companies, my cousin runs his own computer business, when he was boy of 14 he was building his first computer in the basement (pacman days)...LOL
On IBM, I know nothing about Macintosh apple ....All the parts are mix and match snap ins. So in truth BB, Walmart, Egg Heads, Gateway...they are one and the same..they just put their logo on them.
EDIT: I figured I better explain a little better.....Check the CPU speed, memory and hard drive...these are what make the difference.... not the place you buy the computer.

S

siptang

Gemmy - I'm certified A+ technician along with many things.
Snowy effect... I don't understand.
If you can post a pic or a video to help me understand, I will try my best to help you out.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/386235/laptop-help#post_3391595
They think my laptop has bad memory and they have to ship it out to get fixed. No laptop for 2-4 weeks.
If its ram thats bad, they hosed you because all laptop's RAM is a user replacable part. If its ram for the video card then yea it needs to be soldered off and back on to the motherboard. But i wouldnt do the repair. If that went bad then there is something else wrong like a cooling fan or something else.

bionicarm

Well, she stated that the laptop fell off a chair onto the floor, and the bottom part of the laptop landed in some water that apparently collected while she was working on her tank. The falll may have loosened a cable or the memory from its slot. If the water were allowed to stay on there long enough to where it could seep inide the case, then it could have created an electrical short on the motherboard. I imagine if they find that, the warranty will be voided.
Gemmy - Did you say the laptop came up in Safe Mode? Did you get anything at all on the screen when you powered it up?

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///forum/thread/386235/laptop-help#post_3391744
Well, she stated that the laptop fell off a chair onto the floor, and the bottom part of the laptop landed in some water that apparently collected while she was working on her tank. The falll may have loosened a cable or the memory from its slot. If the water were allowed to stay on there long enough to where it could seep inide the case, then it could have created an electrical short on the motherboard. I imagine if they find that, the warranty will be voided.
Gemmy - Did you say the laptop came up in Safe Mode? Did you get anything at all on the screen when you powered it up?
The laptop originally came up in safe mode, but then it would not launch windows. The water was not on there more than 10 seconds and it was a splash (not much at all).
Now, ever since I had this laptop weird things would happen. A week ago I had my laptop charging while I was using it, and then I decided to move somewhere else and unplugged the charger and the laptop shut off. Then, if I accidentally leave my memory card for my camera in the computer when it starts up the computer says it has to check for errors. Then, if I plug anything into the USB port while the laptop is on it shuts off.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/386235/laptop-help#post_3391702
If its ram thats bad, they hosed you because all laptop's RAM is a user replacable part. If its ram for the video card then yea it needs to be soldered off and back on to the motherboard. But i wouldnt do the repair. If that went bad then there is something else wrong like a cooling fan or something else.
I'm not paying for this. I just made the mistake of buying the service plan when I got the laptop.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/386235/laptop-help#post_3391749
The laptop originally came up in safe mode, but then it would not launch windows. The water was not on there more than 10 seconds and it was a splash (not much at all).
Now, ever since I had this laptop weird things would happen. A week ago I had my laptop charging while I was using it, and then I decided to move somewhere else and unplugged the charger and the laptop shut off. Then, if I accidentally leave my memory card for my camera in the computer when it starts up the computer says it has to check for errors. Then, if I plug anything into the USB port while the laptop is on it shuts off.
Then I doubt the water did anything. Is the floor carpet or tile? Falling from a chair to a carpeted floor probably wouldn't do much damage either in most cases. My wife left her laptop sitting on the back of her car, and it fell onto the driveway before she could grab it. Didn't bother it at all.
These other symptoms you're describing sound like you have a loose cable or some kind of defect on your motherboard. As far as the memory card being left in the computer - that check is normal for the newer laptops and OS's. The operating system and/or BIOS see's your memory card as a physical drive. Since the device was new to the system during power up, it wanted to scan it to insure it's integrity before trying to boot off of it.
See what the tech's come back with. I find it odd they are telling you they have to ship it out for 2 - 4 weeks because of "bad memory". Laptop memory chips are replaceable, and most tech shops keep spares handy for testing or replacement. Sounds more like they're sending it back to the manufacturer to let them repair it.
If you're frustrated with the multiple problems with this laptp, you may look at Newegg, Staples, or Office Depot for a new one. They have some good sales going on right now for Father's Day. Office Max has a 15.6" HP with dual-core processor, DVD drive, 4GB memory, and a 500GB hard drive for $399.99. If you like Dell, try their Outlet Store. You can get an Open Box or Return for 20% - 30% off retail. I bought my daughter one, and she's had no problems with it whatsoever. Get your old laptop back, an they have these file transfer programs where you can pull all your personal data off of it and reinstall it onto the new laptop.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/386235/laptop-help#post_3391772
WELL that's a good thing....maybe they will send it out to "real" techs....LOL
I doubt it they all work for the geek squad.
I'm just going to see what happens. I think I will be looking for a new lap top in the not so distant future. I am earning my bachelor's degree online and I plan on travelling more, so I need a lap top that I can depend on for my schoolwork.