Large hermits???

teaggs

I am trying to find some large hermits for my tank...I do have a few aggressive fish such as a small dogface and a pinktail trigger. Only corals are Zoas and I may get a few mushrooms. Just looking for something that can help clean the tank but also not get eaten the first day. Any idea where I can buy larger hermits like this? I see the ones on this site but they dont look big enough?? Help

teaggs

**Please don't post competitor links**
I do see these from the link listed above and they look big. Anybody have any experience with these guys and is it possible to keep him with any Zoas and mushrooms or will he eat them? Please help

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaggs http:///forum/thread/384475/large-hermits#post_3368045
I am trying to find some large hermits for my tank...I do have a few aggressive fish such as a small dogface and a pinktail trigger. Only corals are Zoas and I may get a few mushrooms. Just looking for something that can help clean the tank but also not get eaten the first day. Any idea where I can buy larger hermits like this? I see the ones on this site but they dont look big enough?? Help
LOL...YEAH IN MY TANK.....a few months ago I bought some dwarf zebra hermits.....WELL.....they are anything but dwarf.....they took over turbo snail shells, and fancy nassarius shells...and even a sand conch shell
Here is a picture of one....and some are bigger....

teaggs

I dont think those are as big as the ones on that link, are they? I would like to find some that are unusually big so I know they can defend themselves, but I dont want them eating my coral. Do you think they would?

meowzer

What link? These are in my 225G reef tank....I also have a couple in the 54G and 29G
so far nothing has been eaten or I WOULD not still have them......I have all types of corals and anemones too

1guydude

LOL my loss ur gain kinda situation. Sry but i donated mine back to the LFS. I would recommend a strawberry hermit or jades(?). The strawberry one i got was only like $6 and he doubled in size almost, after one molt! The other one i still have and he is green with yellow lines. The jade one im hoping is done growing but the LFS has gotten more and they r huge.... ill ask tommorow wat kind they r but no promises. The strawberry one is a Dardanus megitos (book reference) or white spotted hermit i just call them strawberrys. The book says the strawberry can grow to 5 in.

btldreef

I've seen large non-reef safe (because they'll kill all your snails and shrimp) hermits at my LFS. Some are as large as my fist. I'll ask them what type they are, they're really good with the scientific names.
Have you considered Urchins?