Large Reef Tank - Pre Build Advice - 150 G to 200 G

imfsub12

We are just finally getting our basement done soon so we than can get our new fish tank.. YEPPIE

But we are not sure what to get.. We have had 30 g and now a 6 g.. baby nano...

But we would like to get a 150 G to 200 G or bigger.. But not sure why you would go the extra big I know bigger is better..

but where is the Price point break for the size of thank you get..
As i know skimmers, lights, and pumps will play the factor when you build bigger.. As a Skimmer has it limits and then you have to go to the next size up..

Also to what size of tank should should we get.. like 6 feet long x ? x ?.. or would you to shorter but higher. and wider? or longer like 7 feet.

We would like a canopy, but do most go open lid.. but that would put lots of evaporation in the house?
Does anyone run a good fan to take out the extra humidity in the basement.. as we don't want our hvac to rust over time.
We live in canada with Winter - so we need it all to go under the stand. and nothing can go outside it would freeze (its -15c right now or 5f.. but we go down to -40c or -40f)

What other kinds of equipment do you get for a Larger tanks.. dont' need it at once but can upgrade later..
- Apex controller
- RO/DI
- Pumps - do the ore you pay make the quiter. how do you tell this when you buy them do they have a noise rating on them.
- Reactors,
- oxygen
-????????
- Things you woudn't have on a smaller tanks.

Do you have any pro's or cons from your last or current build that you could pass along.

Thanks for your advice

lmforbis

I think the tank size would be dictated by what you want to keep in it. A 6 foot or longer tank will allow you to have some of the bigger fish, seven foot even more but if you are more focused on a reef maybe some of the deep dimension or cube tanks would be better.

mandy111

HI,
The only difference between a smaller tank and a larger tank is the equipment you need is "rated" for more gallons.

Eg Deltec Skimmer has one that is rated for 40g right up to the one rated for 600g. They work the same but are bigger units. And tend to cost a lot more.

Dont need an apex controller although as a luxury item, most of us would love one.

RODI you would generally need on any size tank, you will just have to change filter cartridges more often because your making more water.

Pumps . Forums and asking questions is the best way to find a silent pump, they don't come with noise ratings unfortunately

Reactors. if your wanting to run a reactor, yes a slightly bigger one is required, but most people I know run them on smaller and larger tanks. and the price difference is not huge. It comes down to the cost of the media, obviously you use more on a larger system.

Oxygen, with a decent skimmer and good flow within the tank (powerheads) you wont have any oxygen concerns generally.

Open lid or canapoy Most big tanks tend to hang or suspend their lights for ease of access to the tank. A canopy can be restricting. There wouldn't be many days your hands not in the tank.But really it comes down to choice.

You will clearly need a bigger Watt heater, use more salt for changes, have more glass to clean etc. But it is well worth it in the end.
You will need a decent size ATO storage and auto top up. A larger system does require frequent top ups. EG my tank goes through about 100g a week in ATO water. Some smaller systems you can prob get away with doing it manually

Hope this helps a little.

mandy111

If your tank is going against a wall, you don't want too wide or its very hard to get to the back wall for any reason. Depending on the fish you want to keep. Just remember too that the longer you go. lighting can become a problem as most lights come in standard sizes. EG 5 foot. You also need more power heads for movement the bigger the tank.
The lighting, skimmer and power heads are the biggest expense in setting up a large system.

bang guy

I've been impressed by the Marineland 200DD which is in your size range. It just looks well suited for a reef tank. Wish I had one.

A couple things I had to redo years after I setup a 155:

Too close to the wall - it's convenient if you can fit your arm behind the tank.

level - I should have spent more time getting a better level on the stand.

eric b 125

I had a 200DD and loved its dimensions. It ended up being more time consuming than it was worth to me so I sold all of the equipment for pennies to the dollar and gave the tank and stand away.

beaslbob

I would plan for a refugium with macro algae and use that from the get go.
I'm Kinda, sorta doing something slightly similar as I got 2 55g in a ***** $1/gallon sale.

Thinking about doing a balsa mockup of the room in miniature with models of tanks, furniture and stuff. Then moving things around to see what would be best. Better doing that with models weighing ounces than tanks weighing 100's of pounds.

imfsub12

If your tank is going against a wall, you don't want too wide or its very hard to get to the back wall for any reason. Depending on the fish you want to keep. Just remember too that the longer you go. lighting can become a problem as most lights come in standard sizes. EG 5 foot. You also need more power heads for movement the bigger the tank.
The lighting, skimmer and power heads are the biggest expense in setting up a large system.
Thanks for that info.. this is what i'm after as most people really don't give that info. just want the price point break..

But I will be putting it against the wall so will take your commments to consideration

imfsub12

I've been impressed by the Marineland 200DD which is in your size range. It just looks well suited for a reef tank. Wish I had one.

A couple things I had to redo years after I setup a 155:

Too close to the wall - it's convenient if you can fit your arm behind the tank.

level - I should have spent more time getting a better level on the stand.
Thanks for your info..

mandy111

Thanks for that info.. this is what i'm after as most people really don't give that info. just want the price point break..

But I will be putting it against the wall so will take your commments to consideration
Can I just ask please, me being dumb. what do you mean your after the price point break ?

Price for a larger system can vary considerably - eg. 1 gyre at $400 will be ok for flow but 4 Tuzes will be $1500.00 will do better. Its like this with all equipment.

imfsub12

Price Break for example you say by a TV that is 45 in inch for $1800 50inches for $2000 or a 55 inch for 3000..
So it better to stay away from the 55 inch as not worth the extra $1000 yet.

Where is the price break in most tanks for say the skimmers, and other equipment.. lights and all the other fun stuff..

mandy111

Price Break for example you say by a TV that is 45 in inch for $1800 50inches for $2000 or a 55 inch for 3000..
So it better to stay away from the 55 inch as not worth the extra $1000 yet.

Where is the price break in most tanks for say the skimmers, and other equipment.. lights and all the other fun stuff..
I would love to be able to answer that with some clarity, but for one I am in Australia so our pricing is far more expensive than yours.
There is also too many variables. custom made tank vs all one. German made skimmer vs Aqua one skimmer. Gyre power head vs Tunze.

some of the good quality equipment can be up to 3 or 4 times more expensive, does it do a better job and last longer , YES it does but is there anything wrong with buying cheaper gear and upgrading later . no there is not, just might cost you more in the long run.
The biggest thing with a large system is eg. water change volume is greater, any media you need to use eg Rowa phos costs triple or quadruple.
I know some people on this site run tanks on a very low budget and other spend a lot.
Comes down to research and what you wanting to achieve int he end.
Sorry I cant be more helpful but just far too many variables and being in Australia doesn't help.

My 90g system with everything including livestock and ro/di, brute trash cans for water changes...everything, cost me over $6000.00 so far. I cant imagine the cost of setting up a 200g.

mandy111

My 90g system with everything including livestock and ro/di, brute trash cans for water changes...everything, cost me over $6000.00 so far. I cant imagine the cost of setting up a 200g.
yeah i hear you !!! To be totally honest we have a 380g that has cost us about $20,000 including corals and fish. We are currently upgrading to a 600g and haven't had the bill yet . eeekkk.

eric b 125

So what are you running now?
I downsized, big time. I have a Biocube 29 with a handful of upgrades. I used to love big tanks and spent a boat load of dough on the 200DD. The problem was that I love a lot of other things too, and the big tank became too much of a time commitment for me. I honestly developed a resentment towards it. In theory it was a perfect system, but a whole different story in practice. Going from a 200DD to a BC29 was a huge downsize but a gigantic upgrade in the grand scheme of things. If and when I decide to get a bigger tank it'll probably be a custom 60 gallon drop-off. But for now, I couldn't be happier with the BC.

eric b 125

To address your price-break question: there is no real way of answering that for you. That's a question that you have to answer for yourself. I probably have $2000 invested in the Biocube 29. The 200DD was exponentially more expensive. Keep in mind that people are able to have beautiful reef tanks with budget equipment and older technology. You also have to consider the running cost of the tank: water, salt, electricity, media, replacement equipment. It adds up. The 200 gallon was going through 10 gallons of evaporation every three days, so not only was that a time commitment, it would chew through water purification quickly and I had to go out and buy a dehumidifier for my apt. You have your primary, secondary, and tertiary costs.