Large Refugium Lighting

robchuck

I will be using a 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank (58"L x 39"W x 25"H) for my refugium when I build my new system. I've got the flow pretty much figured out (T from pressure-rated return pump (probably Iwaki 55RLT or 70RLT), overflow back into 55 gallon sump; 400-500gph), but I'm unsure of what to use for lighting.
I will have one 175W MH ballast, parabolic reflector, and several bulbs at my disposal (two 10,000K and one 15,000K). Would this be too much lighting for this sized 'fuge at say, 18"-20" above the water surface? Would I be better off using a pair of the 65W LOA fixtures? Or is there a solution I am completely overlooking?

bang guy

My suggestion is to use the same lighting you use on your reef. When the reef bulbs get old put them on the refugium.
That refuge is too big to light with LOA fixtures IMO.
The 175mh is good.

robchuck

Thanks for the advice Bang Guy! Your lagoon has been a big influence in the design of my 'fuge.
A few more question though.
175W won't be too much light for macros?
I haven't yet had a 'fuge bigger than a 5 gallon section in my sump that housed chaeto and grape calurpa. Besides a Southdown DSB and some LR, what sort of macros or critters would you suggest adding?
With the 175W MH, is there anything else that wouldn't normally be found in a PC lit 'fuge that I could add or would be recommend to add?

bang guy

I'm becomming a big fan of Chaetomorpha.
fyi - 400 watt HQI MH wouldn't be too much. The 175 is a bit more reasonable though :)
Xenia also makes a great export mechanism and the MH will be good for that.