Large tank people: What is your water change process?

hocky

Like the topic says, for those of you who do large water changes, what is your process? I really need to work out an easier method for my tank. I've been trying different ways each time, but I just can't find one that is simple / clean. I typically change 60-75 gallons at a time and it is a PITA. I don't have any plumbing near the tank (nor would it be easy to run any plumbing due to the tank being on a 1st floor slab of a 2 story home...), so all of the simplifying ideas that I can come up with are nearly impossible.

t316

Thats a lot of water to be changing out at one time, or are you doing multible tanks?
Here's a link to my build thread...
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=316459
Somewhere on there you will see my system of tubs and switches. It's all rather easy. My tank is on the middle floor, with the water tubs down below in a basement. And even though yours is on a first floor slab, this should not stop you from doing the same thing. You just need somewhere in the house to put those tubs and pumps. It doesn't matter if the water is on the first floor with the tank, or upstairs in a closet, the concept is the same.

95harley

I change 50-60 gal once per month on my 240g....ie.20%.
I have a bathroom down the hall in my downstairs that I make my RO/DI water in a 60g trash can on wheels (black wal-mart heavy duty outdoor type). I throw my heater and powerhead in in till I mix my Salt, PH up, Essential Elements, purple up, etc). Once mixed and stable and all is right I hook up a Pyton to syphon out the bad water to the drain.
Next I hook up the Python hose to my powerhead (Maxi-Jet 1000) and pump the water out of the trash can back to the tank.
Not sure if this helps, but you could always make your RO water and transport it to a mixing tank near your tank.

hocky

Just one tank, it is about a 20% water change and I usually change about once per month. Thanks for the link. I need to do something like that, but getting the plumbing where it needs to go would be a PITA for sure.

hocky

Originally Posted by 95Harley
http:///forum/post/2899521
I change 50-60 gal once per month on my 240g....ie.20%.
I have a bathroom down the hall in my downstairs that I make my RO/DI water in a 60g trash can on wheels (black wal-mart heavy duty outdoor type). I throw my heater and powerhead in in till I mix my Salt, PH up, Essential Elements, purple up, etc). Once mixed and stable and all is right I hook up a Pyton to syphon out the bad water to the drain.
Next I hook up the Python hose to my powerhead (Maxi-Jet 1000) and pump the water out of the trash can back to the tank.
Not sure if this helps, but you could always make your RO water and transport it to a mixing tank near your tank.

This is basically the process that I am trying to use now. How long is your python hose? I am using an old mag to pump back to the tank, but my hose is 75' long to reach the tank.... the mag doesn't have enough umph to get it done well. lol. I definitely need to buy a bigger pump.

t316

For both of you....unless you just like getting it all out the way in one water change, try thinking smaller. I do 25-30 gal. changes, at least 2 times a month, but many months 4 times. I guess if I had to go thru as much trouble as you guys are going thru, I might agree, to just knock it out in one punch. But more frequent water changes, even though on a smaller scale, allows me to stir up and syphon out more crap that builds up, and it seems like it would be less stressful on the fish....but I guess that can be said of both methods.
But my method only involves syphoning out the old (maybe 3' down to a drain that leads out to the woods) and flipping a switch to bring in the new. Very easy....

95harley

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2899549
For both of you....unless you just like getting it all out the way in one water change, try thinking smaller. I do 25-30 gal. changes, at least 2 times a month, but many months 4 times. I guess if I had to go thru as much trouble as you guys are going thru, I might agree, to just knock it out in one punch. But more frequent water changes, even though on a smaller scale, allows me to stir up and syphon out more crap that builds up, and it seems like it would be less stressful on the fish....but I guess that can be said of both methods.
But my method only involves syphoning out the old (maybe 3' down to a drain that leads out to the woods) and flipping a switch to bring in the new. Very easy....

The problem I have is I have the 240 & a 75g Salt tank to clean, plus a 180g fresh. So it's easier for me to break out the Ro unit and make water for several days and do both tanks around the same time.
My fish don't stress very bad at all during water changes but it's a 2.5-3hr job on that big boy once per month.
So for me the 20% once monthly is just easier.

spiderwoman

You can get a Brute trash can with wheel plate that attaches to the bottom. I fill that with fresh saltwater from our saltwater storage container. I then use a clear hose attached to a MJ 1200 to suck out water out of the tank to another large brute can and once done, I then switch the hose+pump the fresh SW and pump back in. Simple!

hocky

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2899549

I agree and if it wasn't a PITA, I probably would do it like that. Either way, my tank doesn't even notice anything going on. Other than a little bit of blowing off rocks and a quick syphon, I change all of the water out of the sump, not the display.

hocky

Does anyone have a suggestion for a pump to push the water through 75' of ~1/2" tubing (python) back to the tank that will maintain a reasonable flow rate?

kjr_trig

I have a 240....I do weekly 20 gallon changes....I have 2 Brute Trash Cans (with wheels), I mix 20 gallon, and let it sit for a couple of days with a ViaAqua 1300 that acts as a powerhead while the water ages, then I can easily transform it and hook it up and pump the water into the tank after I have removed 20 gallons to the other Brute.....Works for me, it really doesn't take very long to do the water changes....other than making the RO/DI water.
I vacuum 1/3rd of the substrate each time as I have primarily crushed coral and almost no clean up crew.
The ViaAqua is kind of a cheap pump, but I like the ease of turning it from powerhead to pump.