Large tank with Nitrate problems (dying fish)

don trinko

1.The bacteria that develop when you cycle a tank are different in Salt water than fresh water so cycling in fresh water does no good for salt water.
2. I echo the opinion that you should buy a book on the basics of salt water fish tanks or have a long talk with someone at the LFS that has salt water fish at home.
Sorry to be so direct but salt water fish are expensive and if you don't start right they will surely die. Don T.

R

rcreations

Adding the salt to the sump is bad, very bad. Salt has to mix in a separate container for 24 hours BEFORE it is added to the tank or sump.
Anyway, you have a nice tank, a good size, it's already setup with a sump, this part is good. What you should do now is get a book or two on saltwater fish. Don't do anything, don't add any fish until you do the research.

jpa0741

Like I said the puffer you bought is a Brackish fish. Here is my advice. Return the fish to the LFS. Drain the tank and lets start from scratch. After draining do some reading on here and we can help you with any questions you might have. I would get the plants out. You will need sand and LR to start. I would also look into getting a RO/Di water filter to fill your tank with. Once you get this stuff you could fill it and let it start cycling and we could help you with the other equipment you will need. Here is the list.
1. Looks like you have heater but I doubt 1 will be enough. Tank need to be around 78-80. It was used to keep cold water lobsters.
2. Power heads. Saltwater tanks need alot of flow. IMO somewhere around 30x turnover.
3. Protein skimmer. This will go in the sump.
4. Lights. If you want to have corals you will have to upgrade.
You will have to spend some money to get this thing going but it looks to have alot of potentiol. If you think this doesn't sound like it is for you. Stop now and find it a new owner. If it is good luck and you will be hooked in no time.

shadowshield

Originally Posted by jpa0741
http:///forum/post/2947443
1. Looks like you have heater but I doubt 1 will be enough. Tank need to be around 78-80. It was used to keep cold water lobsters.
-The heater i have keeps the tank at 79-80, I do need to add another one i know-
2. Power heads. Saltwater tanks need alot of flow. IMO somewhere around 30x turnover.
I'm currently using the the powerhead that came with the tank, trust me when i say it generates a lot of flow, it can drain the sump in less than a minute, what i wish is that it was not so loud.
3. Protein skimmer. This will go in the sump.
Can you suggest one for this size of tank, i've seen several that are made for sump use, i'm sure this is an item that you get what you pay for, so around a $200 skimmer?
4. Lights. If you want to have corals you will have to upgrade.
The lights i'm using came off a 50gallon tank that is now being used for a bearded dragon, they are saltwater floresent bulbs (at least they say so) should i be using a different type of bulb?
You will have to spend some money to get this thing going but it looks to have alot of potentiol. If you think this doesn't sound like it is for you. Stop now and find it a new owner. If it is good luck and you will be hooked in no time.
I've already invested quite a bit, and I am prepaired to budget 10% of my income to support this tank, I'm just needing some direction from where it is today, not a book that says how to build a tank, this tank already supported saltwater life, so how should it be "modified" for fish.. etc.

srfisher17

I'm confused too, but that happens a lot at my age. I did catch a couple things. 1.) How high are nitrates? Nitrates will not generally kill SW fish (They can kill inverts); this (IMO) is a big misconception. I have never seen any reliable study that says otherwise. As Fenner points out: fish are often kept with nitrates in the hundreds, even thousands of ppm. I'm not advocating this; but its a fact. 2.) You cannot cycle a SW tank without salt. The bacteria species for a FW tank are not the same as a SW tank.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2947345
I think it’s got great potential for a project tank (but I have be called crazy) can you post any pics of your sump. first get your live stock out of the tank and back to your LFS
You're a lot of things, Joe, but crazy sure ain't one of them!

petjunkie

I'm going to go with give back the puffer, drain the tank and do a lot of reading for at least a month. You need a lot of equipment and you need to slow down. This is a very expensive hobby. Why is part of the bottom blue and the other part black? Is it painted or gravel? You want a saltwater tank so you need to get rid of everything freshwater, rock, plants, fish, gravel, etc. Not going to work in saltwater. What kind of salt are you adding?
You need sand for substrate, around a pound of live rock per gallon (this is expensive) a skimmer, powerheads, then you can cycle the tank, you don't need any fish to cycle, just add some food or a dead shrimp from the grocery store. Cycling takes another month at least and this is a waiting game where you don't add fish or coral or anything. Also if you want a reef tank you need much better lighting, metal halides or t5, this is also going to be a pricey purchase. What kind of pump is in the sump? Drain it, buy what you need, do research, then get it going the right way or this is going to be nothing but a headache for you.

spanko

this tank already supported saltwater life, so how should it be "modified" for fish.. etc.
Here is a flaw in your thought process perhaps. The tank, if it was a Lobster tank, did not "support" saltwater life, twas merely a holding tank until the Lobster became dinner. I would suggest you go to the beginners forum and start reading the threads at the very top.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2947522
Here is a flaw in your thought process perhaps. The tank, if it was a Lobster tank, did not "support" saltwater life, twas merely a holding tank until the Lobster became dinner. I would suggest you go to the beginners forum and start reading the threads at the very top.

jpa0741

Originally Posted by shadowshield
http:///forum/post/2947504
First what size tank is it? Dimensions?
1. You probably have one large heater. I would suggest you buy 2 smaller ones. This way when one fails (and they mosy likely will fail at some point) you will not cook your tank.
2. That is not a power head but a return pump. I highy doubt that will be enough flow. Need to know size of return pump. If is draining your sump in a minute then you are around 2100 gph. I would suggest around 3600 gph. But that is a good start and you can add a power head or 2 if you see any dead spots.
3. Look at Octopus skimmers if you are on a budget. If money is not an issue look at Bubble King
skimmers.
4. They are porbably NO lights and the only thing they would be good for a fish. You will need atleat PC lights to keep low light corals. T5 or MH will be needed for any med to high light corals.
Oh and keeping cold water lobsters alive for a week or so and keeping a reef tank alive for years are COMPLETELY different.

small triggers

And just like SPANKO said, thought this tank may have held saltwater life before it was more of a holding tank then a aquarium. Have you ever set up and cared for it? Just because a tank was made for something doesnt mean it automatically makes you know how to make it work. Anyone can go to a store and buy a tank and stand, its made for saltwater, but that doesnt give them the knowledge of how to make it work for their situation. BOOKS

ilovemytank

I'm curious; You said that the pump you have is plenty b/c it empties the sump quick; Do you know how many GPH ? This is whats considered your return pump and the flow rate is decreased by the the distance it pumps. That is a large tank, there needs to be flow without deadspots. You aren't going to get that with a single return pump on a tank that size.
Next you mentioned about skimmers being around $ 200 and you aren't sure you get what you pay for; There are some differences in opinion here but most would say that their skimmer is the most valuable piece of equipment they have. When you talk about skimmers you definately pay for what you get.I personnaly would spend closer to $ 300.
If you had anyway to add up the years of successful experience of all the members that have replyed to your thread, I'm sure it would be over whelming. All that experience is telling to slow down, read, study and learn before diving into this hobby. You will be so much more successful if you do that. Not to be rude but if you don't do this then you are going to experience alot of death and frustration. Thats when people's frutration makes them quit. If you don't quit then you will end up spending alot of more money fixing alll the things you did wrong b/c you didn't study first. I hope you end up listening to all the great advice you are being given and empty the tank and don't start to fill it again until you have read and studyed some. I wish you the best of luck.

crypt keeper

I would Empty the tank. Then Clean it. Everything. Take it all apart. Clean it with hot water and a sponge. No chemicals. No windex bleach or ammonia. Just hot enough water you can keep your hand in it.

locoyo386

WOW! I'm confused just reading this thread. My opinion would be to let someone with experience (like Joe) handle this thread. That way the person that started this thread does not get as confused as we are. He could get the starting information, ie. starting the tank, goals for the tank, equipment, etc. from one person that has alot of experience. Than when he gets confortable with the tank and the information, he could post the questions that everyone could give their opinions on.
Just my thouht,

spanko

srfisher17

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2947522
........and lobsters can live in just cold seaweed for several days.

ilovemytank

Originally Posted by locoyo386
http:///forum/post/2948868
WOW! I'm confused just reading this thread. My opinion would be to let someone with experience (like Joe) handle this thread. That way the person that started this thread does not get as confused as we are. He could get the starting information, ie. starting the tank, goals for the tank, equipment, etc. from one person that has alot of experience. Than when he gets confortable with the tank and the information, he could post the questions that everyone could give their opinions on.
Just my thouht,

Sorry locoyo386 but I disagree with you. I think all the confussion is created by the threads owner.
He's confusing everyone else by his posts.

Are you shopping for a new car ? I like the one in the avatar-get some chrome rims !!!

shadowshield

I went to my local saltwater fish store, and talked to the owner for about an hour, he advised on various things, and here was the cause of the "problem"
There was not enough organic material in the tank, such as live rock, sand, etc.
After I purchased 100lbs of arag-live sand, drained the tank, setup 85lbs of live rock, plus the sand, added new batch of saltwater that I've been mixing in 2 55gal drum next to the tank for 4 days. I have not had any spikes in nitrate levels, and I'm curious because everyone says i should have a ammonia spike after setting up the live rock.. i'm not seeing this.
I have also added a Top Fathom Venturi Skimmer (110a), and a coralife light, with 4 coralife 65watt 50/50 bulbs (21 inch)

small triggers

if it was already cured LR and new ls and your water was already mixed and at the correct temp. it may not register as a spike. I set up everything in my tank already cured and it only took 7 days to cycle and my ammonia only went up 1/10 it was my nitrate and nitrites that rose significantly.

stones

Sorry but all you people stating things like you have to mix your saltwater in a separate tank for 24-48 is BS.
It's also BS the amount of time some of you claim you have to cycle a tank, 7 weeks, that ridiculous. You can walk into a fish store, buy a tank, ocean water, live sand, live rock & a couple of percula clowns & walk out the door put it together at home & it will run just fine.
Some of you people get into this ---- way to seriously & over exaggerate on everything. Skimmers this, skimmers that. Not everybody needs a freaking skimmer.