Large tank with Nitrate problems (dying fish)

soulsigma

All of this may have scared him off, this is one hobby that with all the research in the wold true experience comes from trial and error and that is when one begins to gain success and can relate his/her practical experience to the knowledge gain from reading and researching all of which will allow the individual to ask question to learn the tricks of the hobby. I spent yrs reading and researching marine keeping and while I comprehend all that I came across, the real experience didn't come until I took the plunge on 12-27-08 and even though my cycling went OK, the true test for me begin 1-27-09 when I add my first fish and it's been an on going process every since, up and downs, victory and defeat, and :rot fl:&
but I chalk it all up as experience which enabled me to move to the next phase of this hobby. I mean hear it is months into it and I am just building my clean-up crew but it's all about time and being able to wait for the green light to move forward, it's not an instant gratification hobby and while somethings in this hobby do happen over night (tank crashing &alga invasion ect..) success comes from learn from the trials and errors. And what you guys forgot to mention to the guy was the first step he should have taken was to purchase a good marine basic book, a subscription to some marine & reefs mags, composition book to track all tank activities , a marine master & reef master test kit to test his parameters during his cycling period and while he was wait for that to end he could have finished reading his boos and mags. All of this would have prepared him for the next step and would have help him avoid being totally Dependant on LFS for advice, as we all know the LFS is in business to make money so some will tell you anything in order to sell you anything
I do hope this guy doesn't give up on this hobby as it can be a lifetime experience that bring many rewards even when it seems as if it has you at Witt's end
But he should trash that lobster tank and get one that he selected or had custom made for him that way he would be familiar with the working of the tank, that is after he gets his floor repaired and reinforced.

flower

Originally Posted by soulsigma
http:///forum/post/2980312
All of this may have scared him off, this is one hobby that with all the research in the wold true experience comes from trial and error and that is when one begins to gain success and can relate his/her practical experience to the knowledge gain from reading and researching all of which will allow the individual to ask question to learn the tricks of the hobby. I spent yrs reading and researching marine keeping and while I comprehend all that I came across, the real experience didn't come until I took the plunge on 12-27-08 and even though my cycling went OK, the true test for me begin 1-27-09 when I add my first fish and it's been an on going process every since, up and downs, victory and defeat, and :rot fl:&
but I chalk it all up as experience which enabled me to move to the next phase of this hobby. I mean hear it is months into it and I am just building my clean-up crew but it's all about time and being able to wait for the green light to move forward, it's not an instant gratification hobby and while somethings in this hobby do happen over night (tank crashing &alga invasion ect..) success comes from learn from the trials and errors. And what you guys forgot to mention to the guy was the first step he should have taken was to purchase a good marine basic book, a subscription to some marine & reefs mags, composition book to track all tank activities , a marine master & reef master test kit to test his parameters during his cycling period and while he was wait for that to end he could have finished reading his boos and mags. All of this would have prepared him for the next step and would have help him avoid being totally Dependant on LFS for advice, as we all know the LFS is in business to make money so some will tell you anything in order to sell you anything
I do hope this guy doesn't give up on this hobby as it can be a lifetime experience that bring many rewards even when it seems as if it has you at Witt's end
But he should trash that lobster tank and get one that he selected or had custom made for him that way he would be familiar with the working of the tank, that is after he gets his floor repaired and reinforced.
UMMM.
Posts #17 and #22 do say to get a book.
Please don't take this wrong, it is just some helpful advice.
If you separate the paragraphs as you are write, it is easier to read. I see this so much, and it really is hard to read the longer posts when they are all together like how you wrote yours. So I thought I would mention it.
IMO The person is probably busy reinforcing his floor and fixing the tank. Or in the middle of moving before the landlord finds out.
It was bad enough the the person really had no idea what he got into, but the floor gave out

soulsigma

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/2980322
UMMM.
Posts #17 and #22 do say to get a book.
Please don't take this wrong, it is just some helpful advice.
If you separate the paragraphs as you are write, it is easier to read. I see this so much, and it really is hard to read the longer posts when they are all together like how you wrote yours. So I thought I would mention it.
IMO The person is probably busy reinforcing his floor and fixing the tank. Or in the middle of moving before the landlord finds out.
It was bad enough the the person really had no idea what he got into, but the floor gave out

Thanks your absolutely right about separating the paragraphs

Or maybe he is to embarrassed to give us an up date, after all it was a total disaster and the forum had no mercy on him
which could have had a happy ending. I know I learned a lot from him

windlasher

Originally Posted by Stones
http:///forum/post/2955469
Sorry but all you people stating things like you have to mix your saltwater in a separate tank for 24-48 is BS.
It's also BS the amount of time some of you claim you have to cycle a tank, 7 weeks, that ridiculous. You can walk into a fish store, buy a tank, ocean water, live sand, live rock & a couple of percula clowns & walk out the door put it together at home & it will run just fine.
Some of you people get into this ---- way to seriously & over exaggerate on everything. Skimmers this, skimmers that. Not everybody needs a freaking skimmer.
Good Luck with That...