Late night pictures

elvictre

Awesome pics....I'm pretty new to the reef stuff. I only have 3 corals right now and a BTA. But I am curious how long you have you Powder Blue for, I keep getting told that these are very hard to keep.....But I want one really bad. Have you had any problems?
Thanks
Vic

attml

Thank you very much! The Powder Blue is fairly new (couple of weeks) but he seems to be doing very well. He is in my SPS system which has a lot of room, a lot of rock to graze on and very clean, stable water parameters. I have been feeding him frozen Mysis (soaked in Zoe for extra vitamins to help keep his disease tolerance up) and Omega One flake. If your tank is new I wouldn't attempt a Powder until it as least 6 months old! They do have a tendency to be disease prone if stressed. I have a friend that has a UV stearlizer that has kept one for a couple of years. Thet key is to give them plenty of room and a stable enviroment! Take care!
Mark

elvictre

Thanks. I have my tank for about 7 months now. I just posted on this board "neebee to reef". I do have a UV sterilizer on my system, nice amount of LR and just started adding some corals. I do only have a 75 gal tank right now. I am trying to get some pratice before I set up another tank. I know that Powder Blues require alot if room to roam. That's why I was trying to find a small one and if he stays healty I will move him to a bigger tank that I have planned for in the next 12 months. Do you sugest that I have more of a reef system going before I attempt to add one?
Thanks
Vic

attml

If you are planning a bigger tank you could probably get by with a smaller PB in a 75 for a while. Most fish grow at a rate of their enviroment so if they are in a smaller tank it takes longer for them to reach their max size potential. The only problem is that when you setup the new tank you will want it to mature enough to accept your fish and for the PB you will be in the same boat. The new tank should be at least 6 months old before putting the PB in it (that is just my opinion - others might tell you it is OK to put it in way sooner). With the UV stearlizer you may be able to get by sooner but I always perfer safe then sorry. From past experience I will say that a tank move is always tough on fish and I have lost a few in the process. Good luck!

attml

I just looked at your other Newbie to reef thread and I see you already have 2 tangs in that tank one of which is a Hippo. I definitely would not try to add another tang to that tank. The Hippo and Yellow already have that tank maxed out! The PBs can be agressive also and would pick on both of your current tangs.

dig the pics . . . . whats number 2 at the top?
And uhhh . . . wanna trade for some of those orange zoo's? :D

attml

Thank you very much! Per your question #2 is a Platygyra (sometimes called a Closed Brain) and the orange coral beyond that is a Fungia Plate. Not quite ready to trade the orange zoos yet, sorry! As they grow out a little more I will probably be trading them!