Lavender Polyps?

i have come across " Lavender Polyps" on a clam care page. The Polyps were said to be " poisonous to l SPS corals and large polyp corals" has anyone ever had these polyps? how are they poisonous? can someone give me the scientific name?

j21kickster

they are a type of Discmosa mushroom- they can sting other corals, they spread fast and are considered by some (including me) to be a pest.

wow. are they ok to keep in a reef with other corals as long as you keep them seperated? are the stings deadly? How do they sting?

j21kickster

yes their stings can be deadly ( to corals- not to us)- and they are ok to have in your tank just watch them- i have a pic of a colony of Discmosa shrooms killing a galixia coral (which is known for its stinging power)

tigershark

How do you kill mushrooms? I know if you cut them, they will just regrow. I have a rock with several colors of shrooms on it and I only want maybe 1 or 2 of the colors, the rest I want to remove because they are ugly.

justinx

so let me get this straight . . . the green striped are the same thing, anf they are bad to have in a reef tank? I have one really big one that is moving toward some of my other corals. I like the other corals a lot more than this thing. what can i do?

j21kickster

dont let wait i said scare you- they are not bad they are just agressive to some corals- just keep them in check and you will be fine-
If you chop them close to the rock and what tissue is left- apply very hot water onto it it will usually killthem- if that shroom dosent die- it will take a long time to grow back to its orginal size

j21kickster

Originally posted by Old Yeller Tang
People tend to think that they are corals, but they're really invertebrates, kinda like your stinging anemone.

Not trying to be a smart guy- but corals are inverts;)