Leather Tree In Trouble?

2quills

Having a bit of an issue with my neon green finger/tree coral (Sinularia sp.)
I relocated the tank about 6-7 weeks ago when we moved into our new place. When I moved the corals I transported them in rubber totes with tank water. The coral was fine before that. When I got the tank set back up I noticed that the leather had been leaning over and shrivled up durring the move (no suprise). And it appeared that the way it was leaning that a sharp point on the rock that it is attached to had cut a small hole in the base of the coral. I had figured it would probably heal itself but the area has slowly gotten worse. I'm wondering if there is some type of necrosis assosiated with leathers or could this possibly be a predatory issue. Other than a handfull of certain snails I have one large hermit crab but has never seen it pick on any corals.
What do you guys think? Should I frag it before it gets real bad or is there something I can do to help it out?
Thanks in advance.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0 - 5 (same as before the move)
pH - 8.2
Calium - 460 (little high right now)
Alk - (need a new kit, local store has some on order but pH is good)
Salinity maintained at 1.023-1.024

meowzer

So you are saying the area is spreading? Can you take the leather out? Hard to tell much in the pic, BUT I had a leather that had a "spot"...reminded me of a bruise like you would see on a peach..(LOL) I did a lugols dip.....and then rinsed it...and then LEFT IT ALONE (per Spanko) and it recovered fully

2quills

Yeah, the area has definately gotten bigger and deeper. Sorry for the poor picture, there's too much ambient light from outside in the house right now to get a really clear close up shot through the glass. I can maybe get a better shot later. So it's hard to tell but there are some shreads of tissue that almost appear to me as though something has been tearing at it. I've watched and watched but haven't seen anything yet. Other than that though, it apears to be healthy. I'm just worried about it and don't want to wait to long before giving it some kind of help. I'm going to look into getting some lugos.

kiefers

do you see any critters on it? Mine I had these black looking things on it. They really scared up the base.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///forum/thread/384656/leather-tree-in-trouble#post_3372440
do you see any critters on it? Mine I had these black looking things on it. They really scared up the base.
No I don't see anything on it. I'm fairly certain something has been attacking it though. But I haven't actually whitnessed it. I've searched out tons of pics on disease and it just doens't look like any disease IMO. Pluss I see little shreads of it laying around the base (little string like shreads). What did you do about the black things?