LED or T5

J

jstdv8

Autojunkie,
If you are going t5 look up the nova extreme pro. they have a 20" model with 6 T5's with individual refelectors. kinda spendy for a little tank I guess but it has to be less than LED i would think at 300 bucks.
I have the 4' model on my 90 gallon.

autojunkie

Im not really savvy enough to build an LED thing from scratch.. Anyone know any other relatively reasonable options for a 10 gallon nano?

J

jstdv8

Originally Posted by Kraylen
http:///forum/post/3203636
You can build an LED system that would wipe its butt with the current nova for about 250.
Funny, yesterday you said it didn't even exist.

autojunkie

yea i been lookin at that one too... better then the powerbrite? i might get all white because i may get the moon light LED just to have on at night

kraylen

Originally Posted by Jstdv8
http:///forum/post/3203763
Funny, yesterday you said it didn't even exist.

Actually that's not what I said ..... Reading comprehension for the loss.... thanks!
So... Lets say you did buy this overpriced T5 fixture.... Then what? Current bulbs? Gross... good luck finding small T5 bulbs with decent colors for a fixture that no one owns. Assuming you do... then what? 6 bulbs is going to cost you over 100 bucks in addition to the 3 you are already spending on a 10 gallon. I mean come on, common sense... You can buy 2 PAR38 LEDs by EvilC66 and a fixture for 2 hundred and be better off all around in looks, light, energy and everything.

J

jstdv8

id be really careful about trying to grow corals under those lights. there is nothing telling you how many you need for any size tank, no nanometers rating. I'm pretty sure you need at least 450 to grow corals under.
I was looking at the solaris and they have a bunch more lights than that for a 24" tank. and their setup is 1300.00
however for 1300 it almost seems worth it when you figure you get the same light quality as a metal halide 250 watt with the light shimmer and all. but only use 40% of the power, no heat, and the coolest part is they only lose about 70% of thier power in 11 YEARS!
I can't wait till this technology is more tested and provena nd they get a system down and of course once all that is in place the price will come down alot :)

autojunkie

so basically theres no guarantee that either is sufficient for sps? i was under the presumption that it was total wattage related. (i.e. if one doesnt work get two)

mastertech

Originally Posted by Jstdv8
http:///forum/post/3203782
id be really careful about trying to grow corals under those lights. there is nothing telling you how many you need for any size tank, no nanometers rating. I'm pretty sure you need at least 450 to grow corals under.
what are "those lights" you are refering to?
the i have a 18 led array (54w DIY build) and it is at least 2 times brighter than the 96w CF i replace. i used cree leds and im certain that it will support the growth of coral. Nanotuners uses cree leds and the blues are at the 450-460nm light spectrum. this should be enough for a 10 gallon. from the research i have seen you need about 3/4 to 1 3w cree led or equivilant per gallon. (so 8-10 3w leds for a 10gallon tank)
Originally Posted by autojunkie

http:///forum/post/3203788
so basically theres no guarantee that either is sufficient for sps? i was under the presumption that it was total wattage related. (i.e. if one doesnt work get two)
watts has little to do with Photosynthetically available radiation or "PAR"
light is light, lumens are lumens and PAR is PAR. if you have enough and the right combination of spectrum you will grow coral.
dont get just white. you need 450-460nm light spectrum

autojunkie

Originally Posted by mastertech
http:///forum/post/3203811
what are "those lights" you are refering to?
the i have a 18 led array (54w DIY build) and it is at least 2 times brighter than the 96w CF i replace. i used cree leds and im certain that it will support the growth of coral. Nanotuners uses cree leds and the blues are at the 450-460nm light spectrum. this should be enough for a 10 gallon. from the research i have seen you need about 3/4 to 1 3w cree led or equivilant per gallon. (so 8-10 3w leds for a 10gallon tank)
watts has little to do with Photosynthetically available radiation or "PAR"
light is light, lumens are lumens and PAR is PAR. if you have enough and the right combination of spectrum you will grow coral.
dont get just white. you need 450-460nm light spectrum
i had intentions of getting the "par38" from nanotuners, and then the LED blues to supplement and use as moon lighting. think Ill be alright with it?

mastertech

the "par 38" is good. but you need high power blue LED's in them. not just some weak 12 lumen moon light accent. (each white cree led puts out over 100 lumens at 350 ma and can be driven over 700ma with up to 200+ lumens on record)

autojunkie

was looking through some posts about creating your own LED setups. Not as complicated as i had thought. I am confident with the help of my father (way better at wiring then myself) i could build a small supplemental light.. for now i will get the PAR38 while i get the tank together.. hopefully ill sort out the additional lighting thanks all for the help

spanko

When I picked up my acticinc LED supplements from Evil, we live about 4 miles apart, he showed me a tank probably in the 30 gallon range. It had 3 of the PAR38's over it. The tank was about 2' deep, the lights were about 6" over the tank on a track light fixture. He was getting a PAR reading of a little greater than 100 at the sand bed. Just to give you some idea.