Let me get this straight

pezenfuego

Coraline algae is one specific type of algae, there is only one type and the fact that it appears in different colors has nothing to do with it. It is ONE species. Red coraline and purple coraline are not different.
Coraline is a photosynthetic protist (the definition of algae). It generally appears as a red algae because deep underwater, the light that is most abundant is the red spectrum. In our aquariums we use actinics, so the coraline generally appears as purple. I have noticed that the coraline most abundant in my tank is a different shade of purple than any coraline I have had from rocks I added. This is probably because it changed due to the lighting. Now, is this right? Provide sources to prove me wrong please...if I am wrong.

jackri

I guess I don't care enough to bother trying to prove your wrong.. or right for that matter. Coraline is one of the few things in the hobby that takes care of itself relatively speaking compared to fish and coral and inverts

pezenfuego

I was looking at another thread and someone was saying that every color of coraline algae was a different species. I just didn't think this sounded correct. I am not talking from research. I am talking from my understanding of it...I could be wrong. I would like to be proven wrong...if I am wrong.

jdl

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/3007532
I was looking at another thread and someone was saying that every color of coraline algae was a different species. I just didn't think this sounded correct. I am not talking from research. I am talking from my understanding of it...I could be wrong. I would like to be proven wrong...if I am wrong.
you need a girlfriend

scopus tang

http:///forum/post/3007532
Sorry PEZ;
"Coralline algae are red algae in the Family Corallinaceae of the order Corallinales. They are characterized by a thallus that is hard because of calcareous deposits contained within the cell walls. The colors of these algae are most typically pink, or some other shade of red, and some species can be purple, yellow, blue, white or gray-green.
Unattached specimens (maerl, rhodoliths) may form relatively smooth compact balls to warty or fruticose thalli. Many are typically encrusting and rock-like, found in tropical marine waters all over the world. - Wichepedia"
In other words, coralline algae in the name applied to a group of algae in the order Corallinales, and each color, as well as shape/form (and there are almost as many of these as there are colors), is a seperate species or subspecies (if you will).

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3007546
If I had said it, you'd know the answer

Well I think that I would be spending more time with my significant other than with this forum...if I had a significant other. Do you even love your husband...or is that what your cats are for?

I'm sorry that was mean

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang

http:///forum/post/3007548
Sorry PEZ;
"Coralline algae are red algae in the Family Corallinaceae of the order Corallinales. They are characterized by a thallus that is hard because of calcareous deposits contained within the cell walls. The colors of these algae are most typically pink, or some other shade of red, and some species can be purple, yellow, blue, white or gray-green.
Unattached specimens (maerl, rhodoliths) may form relatively smooth compact balls to warty or fruticose thalli. Many are typically encrusting and rock-like, found in tropical marine waters all over the world. - Wichepedia"
In other words, coralline algae in the name applied to a group of algae in the order Corallinales, and each color, as well as shape/form (and there are almost as many of these as there are colors), is a seperate species or subspecies (if you will).
Don't be sorry. I'm thankful! Now this is clear and I'm that much better of a reefer.

locoyo386

List of coralline algae species
Boreolithon van-heuckii
Choreonema thuretii
Corallina elongata
Corallina officinalis
Haliptilon squamatum
Jania rubens
Lithophyllum crouaniorum
Lithophyllum dentatum
Lithophyllum duckerae
Lithophyllum fasciculum
Lithophyllum hibernicum
Lithophyllum incrustans
Lithophyllum nitorum
Lithophyllum orbiculatum
Titanoderma corallinae
Titanoderma laminariae
Titanoderma pustulatum
Hydrolithon boreale
Hydrolithon cruciatum
Hydrolithon farinosum
Hydrolithon samoënse
Hydrolithon sargassi
Pneophyllum confervicola
Pneophyllum coronatum
Pneophyllum fragile
Pneophyllum limitatum
Pneophyllum lobescens
Pneophyllum myriocarpum
Exilicrusta parva
Lithophytum bornetii
Lithophytum elatum
Lithophytum laeve
Lithothamnion corallioides
Lithothamnion glaciale
Lithothamnion lemoineae
Lithothamnion sonderi
Melobesia membranacea
Mesophyllum lichenoides
Phymatolithon brunneum]]
Phymatolithon calcareum]]
Phymatolithon laevigatum]]
Phymatolithon lamii]]
Phymatolithon lenormandii]]
Phymatolithon purpureum]]

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3007551
Well I think that I would be spending more time with my significant other than with this forum...if I had a significant other. Do you even love your husband...or is that what your cats are for?

I'm sorry that was mean

Don't be sorry. I'm thankful! Now this is clear and I'm that much better of a reefer.

FYI...If you will notice I was not on ALL MORNING...cause I was by my hubbys side as he had day surgery...SO THERE
And my wireless wouldn't work at the hospital

meowzer

Originally Posted by locoyo386
http:///forum/post/3007557
List of coralline algae species

Boreolithon van-heuckii
Choreonema thuretii
Corallina elongata
Corallina officinalis
Haliptilon squamatum
Jania rubens
Lithophyllum crouaniorum
Lithophyllum dentatum
Lithophyllum duckerae
Lithophyllum fasciculum
Lithophyllum hibernicum
Lithophyllum incrustans
Lithophyllum nitorum
Lithophyllum orbiculatum
Titanoderma corallinae
Titanoderma laminariae
Titanoderma pustulatum
Hydrolithon boreale
Hydrolithon cruciatum
Hydrolithon farinosum
Hydrolithon samoënse
Hydrolithon sargassi
Pneophyllum confervicola
Pneophyllum coronatum
Pneophyllum fragile
Pneophyllum limitatum
Pneophyllum lobescens
Pneophyllum myriocarpum
Exilicrusta parva
Lithophytum bornetii
Lithophytum elatum
Lithophytum laeve
Lithothamnion corallioides
Lithothamnion glaciale
Lithothamnion lemoineae
Lithothamnion sonderi
Melobesia membranacea
Mesophyllum lichenoides
Phymatolithon brunneum]]
Phymatolithon calcareum]]
Phymatolithon laevigatum]]
Phymatolithon lamii]]
Phymatolithon lenormandii]]
Phymatolithon purpureum]]
WOW!!!!!!....I bet I have some of them...cause I have pink, red, lime green, dark green, brown...and I am sure more

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3007565
FYI...If you will notice I was not on ALL MORNING...cause I was by my hubbys side as he had day surgery...SO THERE
And my wireless wouldn't work at the hospital

That cracked me up!
Yeah, thanks loco!
If you think this was a strange thread to read, well here's why. I didn't want to ask a question. Questions are for newbies. I wanted to make an inaccurate statement and challenge people to prove me wrong

ahren

http:///forum/post/3007577
That cracked me up!
Yeah, thanks loco!
If you think this was a strange thread to read, well here's why. I didn't want to ask a question. Questions are for newbies. I wanted to make an inaccurate statement and challenge people to prove me wrong

questions are for newbies? so what are you an expert?

E

eric b 125

pez. congrats on no longer being a newb! how will i know when i'm not a newbie anymore?