Lets Color Up My Corals Ok?

reefer44

Mark do those look like they have been alive for only a month in my system.......if you have acro's that are more colorful than mine, i would be glad to submit and say my opinion doesn't matter one bit.........
Brad

reefer44

the monti is now close to 1/2 - 1 centimeter bigger (got it the 1st)......the 3 acro's that have been growing around 1" a month i don't have pictures of....but i am trying to get my downloading process upgraded...so i should have pics by the end of the night
Brad

golfish

Brad,
Please show me where I said you couldn't keep sps alive for longer then one month. Also show me where I said anything about your coral color was better then mine or mine was better then yours....

shawnts106

Now, regarding the question of the blue spectrum...it basically gives corals a more vibrant coloring. With that said the bluer the spectrum the less growth you get.
More vibrant coloring is what I want, so that is good however, Bluer the spectrum the less growth you get?.... why is this? please explain why a blue spectrum makes corals grow less... if that is so then why are MH so good, because to me they give off a bluer spectrum than vhos, just MO.
If you are thinking about running 4 half and halfs why not just run 2 actinics and 2 10k's?
2 10k?... do you mean runnnig 2 10k MH? or VHO bulbs... 10K referring to whites?... not exactly sure what you mean.
The moonlight is close to 65k lighting (just reflected sunlight) just so you know
LOL, ok that confused the CRAP out of me!!!... is this on the BLUE spectrum.. which Im thinking it is, however how is this reflected sunlight, and what do you mean by that, please explain also, thanks!
REEFER44
don't work at a LFS, we are a wholesale supplier!
who is SWF?... please tell!!! LOL!
Your SPS will look wonderful and be as healthy as can be under an altered combo of VHO lights. You will be able to keep all animals without spending the money for MH. They all will thrive and look beautiful.
LOL, WOW THANKS JUST WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR J/K!!!
Thanks all for your comments, I am just trying to understand all about the lighting situation and certain aspects of it, like what blue light is used for, and why corals dont grow under it, and what white light is used for, and why corals grow under it!... stuff like I wrote
ah, the questions just keep bubbling up in my head!!!

reefer44

Originally posted by golfish
:D I know I know....I guess when I managed to keep my first sps alive for more then a month I thought I knew everything too..Wait! I was almost 40 years old by then. I must of known everything because my teenage daughter knew everything..

right here....after you infered that i was similar to other teenagers that worked at an "LFS"....which i don't even work at one
Brad

golfish

Originally posted by reefer44
right here....after you infered that i was similar to other teenagers that worked at an "LFS"....which i don't even work at one
Brad

right there what:confused: I basically said that just because YOU'VE been able to keep an SPS alive for longer then a month you think you know everything..I didn't say you couldn't do it....
I don't care what you want to call your "wholesale supplier" ...remember where I live? I work about 5 miles from the MAJOR wholesalers by LAX. Their ok but still basically LFS to me.

reefer44

just curious what makes you know more then me??????....you are very confusing.....just because you are 40 and can keep sps alive for a month and i am 16 doesn't mean you know more then me?????......if you are so determined to say you know more then me...then show me some pictures...........why did you have to get personal anyway?
Brad

reefer44

but enough of that........you know alot golfish and i know alot......the thing about this hobby is there are so many dif. methods and so many dif. things.......with that said i hope there are no hard feelings (you have given me many good ideas....if i remember right i modified my maxi jets because of your thread)....but i still think good color and growth can be had with VHO....shawn you better prove to them i am right :yes:
Brad :D

reefer44

lol.....i always manage to get in a fight at least once a week......so hes not the only one that has my number

Brad

shawnts106

Reefer YOU ARE RIGHT, I had no idea you were 16, im 17 in 3 months about to be 18, WOW, this is cool, I had no idea other "teenagers" where deaply into this stuff LOL!
anyway, I have a BEAUTIFUL THRIVING 75 gallon soft, stony and sps coral tank that has been going to 7 years now!
I have a Leather ( i know that is a LONG way from SPS) that is over 1 and a half feet in width and length!
Not to mention I have a Lob. Brain that I have had for 5 years that has been taken out of the water, smashed banged up , broken and torn so many times I cant even count, and that is the best looking LOB. BRAIN I have EVER SEEN, even in anyones tank on this thread!!!!
I also have grown a Pipe organ from a SINGLLLLLEEE POLYP!!!!! NO KID, It can on the back of that brain I was just talking about, one tiny little polyp that is now a THRIVING 4 layered white and green polyed 5.5 inch wide by 6 inch long by 4 inch tall gorgeous pipe organ!!!
I also have sooo many purple and carribean green and blue mushrooms I dont even know what to do with them, several, (approx. 20= heads of Pulsing Xenia), also, I have a wels. brain, a nice Blastomussa that has grown CONCIDERABLY since I got it, lots of beautiful green polyped zoos, a nice growing everyday 4inch Hydnophora, so much Cabbage leather than I know what to do with, lots of hairy mushrooms, a rock *not Ap. Anemone* anemone that has been through so much h*** I cant even tell you all of it !.... and Live rock that can kick anyones BUTT on this thread, I have some of the rarest RED CORALINE and BLUE TONGA CORALINE thriving in this system than a wholesaler could know what to do with!... I got this red coraline from a LFS in SAKS here in Alabama, the ONLY rock Ive ever seen with it on there, and not to also mention The other week I was rearranging some of my rock and found a HUGE fist sized yellow ball sponge that had been growing under the liverock on the far left side of the aquarium!... TAKE THAT ALL YOU SPONGE PEOPLE LOL... I didnt even know the thing was in there!!!
lol, And now I want to grow SPS corals, and by golly, if there is a will in my heart there is MOST CERTAINLY a way THAT I WILLLLLL FINNDDDD!!!!!
wow, that was a speach to remember LOL!!!
anyway, so, I have decided to go with MH lighting, I have found several retro kits but and having problems with figuring out some things like what Kelvin I want
so to all you MH people here are some serious questions for you!!!!
First let me discribe what I want in my tank
I would like a nice natural lighting color look, with a hint of blue, not too overbearing but a nice touch of blue that you can obviously see...
SO, I am wanting to get 2 DIY kit, with 250watt bulbs in it, however I dont know what K to get!
The one I am looking at now is 6500K bulb with a Mogul Socket... I have NOOOO idea what this means, and I need to understand the MH lighting in order to pic the best lighting for my tank so basically what I am asking is could someone, like Bang or NMReef for someone who has serious experience with there bulbs to basically lay out a very easy to read chart for the MH kelvins and watts
I am wanting 2 DIY kits with 250 Watt bulbs in it, or I could somehow rewire my VHO to only have 2 VHO bulbs and in between have the 2 MH, and the MH would be (2) 175 watt bulbs, which is what I want to do!
and this should give me 7.6WPG, would this be too much on a 75 gallon aquarium????? OR I COULD just get rid of the VHO's and just use the MH, and sell the VHO!!! Or should I get 2 DIY kits with 250Watt Bulbs in it, that way I would have 6.6WPG, or would that be too much, Right now with my VHOS I have 5.8 WPG!
SOOOOOO, Please lay out a really easy to read MH Kelvin scale like
### K is (# of watts) which is (this kind of blue)
understand?
something to that effect!!! ALSO, is a XM 250Watt 10,000K MH bulb a really white bulb... I want that light tinge of blue, so I would probably need to go with maybe 250watt 14,000K MH Bulb from Hamilton
Also, what is the difference in bulbs between Hamilton, XM, sunburst, Mega chrome, aqualine, Ushio, Iwasaki, or Venture?>?????
PLEASEE EXPLAIN THAT AS WELL, and what brand do you recommend??????????????????????
I want the more white with a tiny tinge of blue for the tank, so what I am thinking is maybe a 10,000 or a 12,000K
Iduno please help!!!!!!
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR SERIOUS PATIENCE!!!!

reefer44

i would go with 2 250w single ended mogul bulbs.......if you want the perfect bulb the 14k Aquaconnects is the best looking in my personal prefference......it is white witha tint of blue....also 10k XM (just solid white) are one of my favorites........but remember skimming and low nutrients should hold as much priority as the lighting.......and you need to up your flow
Brad