Lets get a sting/safety thread going

bona42na

In light of Melodys sting and all of the newbies to reefing here can we just get a thread going on what stings and what to be careful of etc etc. What are your experiences in this , what got you , how and what should you do about it? Please feel free to chime in with whatever you can help with. Thanks Peter

nas19320

I'd say reactions will probably vary from person to person as I have brushed against my frogspawn and my hammer many times and have never shown any signs of a reaction but then again I have never been allergic to many things even poison ivy. The only thing that gives me any trouble is a patch mushrooms that when I come in contact with makes my hand feel really hot, but it goes away almost immediatley when I take my hand away. I agree with Kip that the best thing one can do to prevent stings is to wear gloves.

bang guy

Gloves, especially when handling any Zooanthid or Polyp. Not much eats these anumals and there's a really good reason why.
If a rash quickly develops, the area swells rapidly, or you experience breathing difficulty or a racing heart rate call 911 immediately.
Venom injections from fish should immediately be treated with hot water - as hot as you can stand and then just a bit hotter directly on the wound.
Bristle worm stings:
If it's burning or a lot of pain treat with hot water first.
Many bristles are Calcium carbonate. Submerging the area in pure vinegar will dissolve them, even under the skin.
The few that are silica are more difficult.
Shake off any water but don't touch the area. Apply a coating of elmers glue and wait for it to completely dry. Carefully peel off the glue and most of the bristles should come off with the glue. Next, apply duct tape. The new clear Duct tape is especially effective. rub it on real good then slowly peel it off.
Urchins:
If it's burning or there's a lot of pain, treat it like a fish sting with hot water. You really need to remove any imbedded spines, they are a big problem. If you can't get at them go to the emergency room to have them removed.
Bang

banshee

My hammer stung the !@#$ out of me....left a mark on my thumb for two weeks. My frogspawn also has stung me.

pacopetty

Something stuck me in my tank and my eyes were swollen shut and I was covered in a terrible rash for almost 2 weeks.