lets see those RO/DI set-ups

reefkprz

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2558473
reef...why don't you just stick a small pump on that "pvc with the ball valve" so that you can just flip a switch instead of syphoning?
$18 bucks for a pump - $0 gravity (a penny saved is a penny earned)
sheer economics really (read as I'm broke so I do things as cheap as possible whenever I can) the pvc pipe is a permanent siphon I only have to turn on the valve to fill the lower tank or a bucket.

t316

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2558639
$18 bucks for a pump - $0 gravity (a penny saved is a penny earned)
sheer economics really (read as I'm broke so I do things as cheap as possible whenever I can) the pvc pipe is a permanent siphon I only have to turn on the valve to fill the lower tank or a bucket.
okay, that's not so bad. I thought you had to get out the hose and syphon by mouth every time.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by txmedic1
http:///forum/post/2558692
where do you get line for 7 cents/foot???
Yeah I got mine at lowes. I run it through 3 rooms to get to the tank. I put an area rug over ot in the traffic areas...
I only use it now to fill the jug at the bottom of the Aquamedic.

txmedic1

so i guess i need a float switch for my unit. i think it already has a auto shut off valve. anyone think about using, or can you use a float switch from a toilet??? perhaps somehow install it in the holding bin, and connect it to the line from the RO/DI?

reefkprz

Originally Posted by txmedic1
http:///forum/post/2562469
so i guess i need a float switch for my unit. i think it already has a auto shut off valve. anyone think about using, or can you use a float switch from a toilet??? perhaps somehow install it in the holding bin, and connect it to the line from the RO/DI?
its a pain in the butt to rig up the toilet float swtiches, but it can be done. by the time you buy all the parts and pieces you need to get the toilet float to work the way you want it would have been cheaper just to buy a kent float swith.

alix2.0

in the basement, i just run the waste down the drain in the floor or into buckets and dump them in the washing machine upstairs. my tank is also upstairs, so that means carrying a lot of buckets up the stairs. not fun.

txmedic1

ok, so i have it up and running. thanks to everyone for the great ideas. now, what to do with the waste water? i have it running into the washing machine drain, but it seems to be such a.....waste. what have some of you done with your waste water? what exactly is in the waste water? is it safe to run out to my koi pond???

michaeltx

if you run it into your pond you could end up with algae and other issues big time in your pond. you can use it for just about anything though from water plants and outdoor gardens and veggie gardens it works great for that. but because all the stuff is concentrated its not good to drink or eat but just about anything else that you need water for its fine.
Mike

sly

3 stage RO system under kitchen sink

2 stage DI system and TDS meter

ATO system
I used a tee fitting to split the RO/DI water so that it can go to the sink for drinking and downstairs to the fish tank. The ATO is a toilet float that sits in a plastic bucket. I plumbed it into the sump with a simple U tube siphon. The whole thing sits in a dike if it were to ever overflow.

txmedic1

sly, how did you hook up the toilet tank float valve? I started another thread asking if that was possible, and no one could answer me.

txmedic1

got it up and running. its making water. pics to follow later. how do i use my handheld tds meter? it has 3 buttons, on/off, temp, and hold.

txmedic1

those brute trash cans seem to be everyone's favorite. Sly, are those bugs at the bottom of your dike system???

txmedic1

i finally got some pics. its up and running, and making water!!! thanks to everyone for the great ideas. its a 100gpd ro/di with a 4 gallon tank. i ran to a water rack. the bins hold 18 gallons each. the top bin is direct from the ro/di unit, and has a float valve. the top bin holds the ro/di top off water, and feeds the bottom bin for mixing saltwater. both bins have hoses for filling containers. all comments and suggestions welcome. thanks again!