lets see those RO/DI set-ups

txmedic1

OK, HERE THEY ARE!!!
100gpd ro/di with drinking water tank

water bin rack

top bin: for ro/di top off water

float valve in top bin, connected to ro/di unit

ballvalve: connects top bin to bottom bin. used clear tubing to allow "flex" in the connection. ball valve and hose on right used to fill containers.

bottom bin: for mixing saltwater. contains a powerhead, heater, and aerator. hose with ball valve used for filling containers.

kevtheiris

you need to add Image Tags [ img ] & [ /img ] (w/o the spaces) and the image location inbetween them ;)
heres mine
RODI + UV :D
Bigger storage tank to come soon ;)

sly

Originally Posted by txmedic1
http:///forum/post/2568232
those brute trash cans seem to be everyone's favorite. Sly, are those bugs at the bottom of your dike system???
Yes but they are dead. I just haven't cleaned them out yet.

sly

Originally Posted by txmedic1
http:///forum/post/2568232
Sly, are those bugs at the bottom of your dike system???
Yes but they are dead. They seem to collect in there over time and I just haven't cleaned them out yet.

txmedic1

but now i have a nice collection of 5 gallon buckets!!! i'm sooooo glad i dont have to haul water anymore.....woooohooo!!!

camanuch

that is a great design i think i am going to have to do something similiar. where did you get the rodi system from. also is there a difference in the systems for aquariums and regular ones from the depot?

prime311

What kind of heater do you guys use in your storage containers? How is it attached? I'm afraid of just putting one in a garbage can cause Id think it would melt the plastic.

rdm

Originally Posted by prime311
http:///forum/post/2571769
What kind of heater do you guys use in your storage containers? How is it attached? I'm afraid of just putting one in a garbage can cause Id think it would melt the plastic.
My mixer tank has a 50w heater just "hanging" in the trash can, never had an issue. They do not get hot enough to harm your fish, they wont be melting any plastic, just my .02
-Ryan

t316

Originally Posted by prime311
http:///forum/post/2571769
Agree with rdm...I just have it hanging in the tub. They don't get that hot, although I have it rigged so that it's hanging in the middle, not up against the side.

prime311

Ya I suppose I could just rig a way for it to hang in the center, but I was thinking of just laying it on the bottom. I have an extra 200W lying around and this seems like a good use for it.

t316

What I did was tied a string on one of the outside handles of the tub. Then ran the heater thru the string loop, but ran the heater cord towards the opposite handle. This kept the heater dangling in the middle of the tub, and I could lower or raise as needed.
Sounds totally confusing, but it's really a cheap, brainless idea.

txmedic1

i hope i answer all the questions.
1) i got the ro/di unit from the most popular online auctions site.
2) my heater is held against the wall with the suction cups that it was supplied with.
3) the unit at the major stores (home depot/lowes) are RO only. some say that you can get away with just RO water. for over a year, thats all i used. i would occasionally get a algae bloom, and cyno, but nothing major.
4) since this is a RO/DI unit, it comes with an auto shut-off (ASO). it works in 2 ways. first, when the drinking water tank is full, it builds back pressure, engaging the ASO. and second, when the float valve engages, as when the bin is full, it creates back pressure, again, engaging the ASo.
any other questions, i'll do my best to help.

txmedic1

and just a reminder, either way you go with mounting the heater. make sure you either have it submersed in water ALL THE TIME, or have it on a switch. i personally have my mixing bin on a power strip. about 3-4 days before a water change, i fill the mixing bin with water, turn on the power strip, and add salt. when i'm done, i turn off the power strip. it saves on electricity. but there is nothing wrong with running a heater and and power head all the time, as long as the heater is in water, if not, you will blow the heater.