Lets see your unusual pets

J

jdragunas

and spiders aren't disgusting! They're actually very beautiful, just don't want them crawling on me...

J

jdragunas

yeah... mole crickes act just like moles, and they dig tunnels through your yard. They're pretty big too... and DE-SGUSTING!!!
Yeah, florida is a big bug area... we also had flying cockroaches... you'd try to smack them on the wall, and they'd jump off and fly at you.

T

tizzo

Oh love, it's in your yard too!
A mole cricket. That may explain the nasty little critter I saw in the lake last summer. Looked just like that but burrowed itself into the sand right next to my son. I like taking the pics of, but otherwise get the heebie jeebies with these bugs.

lovethesea

Originally Posted by Tizzo
Oh love, it's in your yard too!

no way, I refuse to believe such things :happyfish

ophiura

The spider shown is Argiope aurantia I think, a yellow garden spider or something. The one shown is a female (males are tiny). And they are basically harmless to humans...very unlikely to bite and even then I don't believe the venom is a major issue though there can be issue for some. The behavior is fascinating. The tiny males effectively "play" the web almost like a harp, to try and distinguish itself from the vibrations of a prey item. If they don't impress....
An additional area of research are the brighter white zig zag areas in the web called "stabilimenta." The purpose of these structures is unclear but there are a lot of hypotheses!
The banana spider is a pretty close relative of this. These large spiders are fascinating in so many ways. In fact, one of the best ever invertebrate exhibits I saw was an "open" exhibit of these spiders at the National Zoo in DC.
This is one of my favorite sites for these large orb weaver spiders. I think this was a really unique take

http://monitor.admin.musc.edu/~cfs/spider_2002/

popnfrresh

I dont have pics, BUT i have a 4' red tail boa, a 6-8" african pixy bullfrog who loves to eat mice, 2 siberian huskies, 2 golden retreivers, 2 bearded dragons,and a blue claw crab, a 75 fo and a 28 reef.

celacanthr

I hate mole crickets!
Oh, and up/down here we call the flying cockroaches palmetto bugs (they will hide in palmetto trees)
You have not experienced fear till you've had a giant cockroach fly at you after you try and smoosh it...then IT LANDS ON YOU!!!

judyk

I don't have any pics, but while my kids were growing up we had tokay geckos, flying gecko, savanah monitor, green iguanas, red rat snake, albino corn snake, ball python, rat, mouse, hamsters, gerbil, guinia pig, squirral, and possums. I think that's it. Occasionally, we had a break down in the food chain. It didn't end up good.

ophiura

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
You have not experienced fear till you've had a giant cockroach fly at you after you try and smoosh it...then IT LANDS ON YOU!!!

I dunno, how about being surprised to find one in the SCUBA regulator you just tried to put in your mouth? That was unpleasant. :scared:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by lovethesea
:scared:

I knew it was only a matter of time...............
Just close your eyes and don't peak while the snakes make their way thru the thread. :hilarious