LFS has ich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mr_x

all stores get their fish from the same wholesale places. they are the same fish. don't think that "the store down the street" has better fish. some keep the salinity lower so to keep parasites at bay, and some don't.
i've been to many LFS's and a few not so local FS's and i've NEVER seen them QT new arrivals. they drip acclimate, then add to the tank.
i believe you can get bad advice from any store. it all depends on how hungry they are for a sale. i would suggest researching any new addition before you buy it. this is a good place to do so.

stdreb27

With the fish in and out of LFS it is practically impossible for them not to have ich. Some stores run their tanks at a low salitity like 1.017 or so you don't see it. Especially when they are run off one filtration system it is spread into all their tanks.

All but two of my LFS don't QT. I don't think they could afford not to, all of their SW tanks are plumbed together. I guess I am blessed to have some not so typical LFSs

sepulatian

Originally Posted by The Egregious
http:///forum/post/2686103
Two to two and a half weeks, thats if no signs appear.

http:///forum/post/2686126
Well, if you see signs of ick, you start the treatment, and then can take the fish out two weeks AFTER no signs of ick. If you see signs of ich again during the treatment, you have to start the 2 weeks again.
Just a couple of things.
Fish should be quarantined for a minimum of three weeks, four is better. Ich can go undetected past two weeks. When treating ich with hyposalinity, you count three weeks after the last sign of ich is gone. If you see another spot then the three weeks starts again.

joyiazzz

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2686429
all stores get their fish from the same wholesale places. they are the same fish. don't think that "the store down the street" has better fish. Well I don't really agree with you there unless you are talking about all petcos, in which case I would have to agree with you. I work at a LFS and we compete with *****, I know we do not share wholesalers.
I believe you can get bad advice from any store. it all depends on how hungry they are for a sale. i would suggest researching any new addition before you buy it. this is a good place to do so.
I wholeheartedly agree with you there. My boss only really cares about making a dollar instead of truly caring for the customers and the fish that he is selling. I have the bad habit of being extremely honest and wanting the customer to go home with the right fish for the right tank. He will tell you just enough to keep it alive till it outgrows the tank or dies. It drives me insane. however it is better than working for *****... for now

joyiazzz

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2686429
all stores get their fish from the same wholesale places. they are the same fish. don't think that "the store down the street" has better fish.
I believe you can get bad advice from any store. it all depends on how hungry they are for a sale. i would suggest researching any new addition before you buy it. this is a good place to do so.
Well I don't really agree with you about lfs having the same wholesalers unless you are talking about all petcos, in which case I would have to agree. I work at a LFS and we compete with *****, I know we do not share wholesalers.
I wholeheartedly agree with you about advice. My boss only really cares about making a dollar instead of truly caring for the customers and the fish that he is selling. I have the bad habit of being extremely honest and wanting the customer to go home with the right fish for the right tank. He will tell you just enough to keep it alive till it outgrows the tank or dies. It drives me insane. however it is better than working for *****... for now

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2686954
Sorry Sep.

It is all good. I just didn't want people to be confused.
Fish do NOT come from the same distributors across the board. Different places have different ones. Mine came out of Jersey. I went to a place just over the Jersey line and found out that their store buys them direct from the collectors like SWF does, in a way. Not the same peope though. Different stores do different things. This is one state away. Different *****'s probably get from different distributors, depending on the location.
On a side note, distributors get bad batches of fish. I used to hand pick my fish. I drove 2 1/2 hrs to Jersey to get mine. There were a few times that I came back with $50 worth of stuff because it all looked like crappola. I had the advantage of driving there though. Most get stuff shipped. You get what you get. There are no refunds on this stuff, unless it is DOA in your store. I have had stock shipped. It has to be called in DOA within hours to get a credit. That is why most places do not guarantee SW fish. They can send home a beautiful specimen. You can kill him by not acclimating. The store doesn't get credit after they give you credit. They absorb the cost.
Larger places can afford the loss.

mikedog

I was happy to see that the Deathco by my house has given up on saltwater fish. I had only been in there a few times for dog food, but everytime I looked at the fish, most of there saltwater tanks were empty, or if they had fish in them they had ich. I see fish with ich too often at most fish stores I go to, but thats just another reason to quarantine.